Trusted Contributor

A question regarding hospitality and workers at the home

At times, we have had to employ outside labor (as opposed to me or my husband-grin) to assist with some tasks. What does one do when confronted with the question, "can I use your bathroom?"

We have always in the past, always allowed this, however, my husband just discovered the toilet paper roll had been pulled apart from the wall.  Not us. Anyway, he was able to repair it this time. Next time it occurs we will have to redo the drywall.  Any suggestions?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A question regarding hospitality and workers at the home

Simple.

Just don't put the roll of toilet paper on to the holder.

Done.

Honored Contributor

That's a tough one. We have invited people doing work for us to use the bathroom, if they needed to

I don't think I would have the heart to deny anyone that convenience. We have never had anyone  destroy anything

Was it loose at all ,before  you found it broken?

The only other thing you could do, is check immediately after use to see, if everything is in good order. If not ,confront the person who did it.

I don't think most people would do this . It was probably a one off

Respected Contributor

If they are already in my home (as opposed to, say, someone working in the yard), I will allow them to use the bathroom.  If you have to go, you have to go.  The alternative is for them to get in their truck, go away for 20 minutes to the closest gas station or McDonalds, and come back. 

As for the damage, a professional would have admitted the damage.  Either way, though, I'd assume it was an accident, that they did not do it deliberately, and let it go.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I have never had anyone we hired ask this. They go to a store or something always.  I wouldn't let anyone in my house.  We use only contractors that are professional, registered and insured including those who mow, landscape and remove snow.  I would also make it clear before hiring that entry into my house for those working outside is not gonna happen. 

Respected Contributor

That could happen to anyone that's in your home.

Leave a roll of toilet paper out on the counter if you're worried about it coming off of the wall.

Honored Contributor

yes, i do let workers from outside or workers from inside use my bathroom. we have a powder room right off of the back door and garage door. i have also let our UPS man and our schwans delivery man  use the bathroom also.

my guess is is that there was already a problem with the toilet paper holder and that it was an accident.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I am certain he did not do that deliberately. Perhaps, I should be more clear. I do not think it was an issue of the toilet paper on the roller in the wall as much as it was using the toilet paper appliance to assist in getting off the potty. We even have a high potty due to the horrifying "aging factor" Sigh......

Well, aging, another topic in what adaptions are being made to assist in the dealing with that issue. I have a walk in shower.

Honored Contributor

No. 

They know where the closest convenience store is, 5 minutes down the road.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've placed porta-pottys on the side of our house where there's privacy.  (No windows, etc.)  Also TP and hand sanitizers and baby wipes.   Just in case. (I don't want them peeing or p**ping on my plants, lol.)  Although it always seemed that the porta-pottys weren't used.  I believe they used the very nearby outdoor shopping center bathrooms, which are very, very nice, clean, etc.  Easily accessible to mall walkers.            EDITED:  By port-a-pottys, I mean the small portable toilets for in-home use. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).