Respected Contributor

I couldn't agree with you more, @Travone .  And this couple wants to go to Disneyland.  Hope they grow up a bit before marrying.

Contributor

@vsm wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more, @Travone .  And this couple wants to go to Disneyland.  Hope they grow up a bit before marrying.

While Disney is not my thing (been there and maybe go back one day).  I know ALOT of people, inc. most of my in-laws (who range from a cousin in law who spent part of her honeymoon (she got married at 25 and her husband was 26) at Disneyland to my aunt in law who is in her late 70's) who think Disney is their version of a great vacation.  Heck there are Youtubers who do nothing but talk about Disney and they are people in their 30's and 40's. There are things at Disney, esp. on their cruise line that are targeted towards adults.

Esteemed Contributor

My son is getting married next September. His fiancé doesn’t even want to have a registry.She thinks it’s tacky to ask people to buy you anything specific.

I would be appalled if my son & his fiancé asked people to contribute toward a honeymoon or anything else. When I got married I didn’t get to go on a honeymoon.Because we couldn’t afford it. We saved up & took a 2 week vacation to Florida for our 1st anniversary.We took the train & stayed in cheap hotels & ate fast food.Lol!!

JMO but most young people today are spoiled. They want everything right away. Instant gratification. Life isn’t like that.

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@haddon9wrote"

@travone   What the difference between giving for a honeymoon & a gift registry?  It's still "asking" for a gift.  This is a wedding gift not a general "go fund me page"."

The origin of the bridal shower was to "gift" the couple with things they needed to start their life together.  Culture seems to have gotten away from that.

None of my friends or family have ever asked for money.  In fact, most who are already living together or are marrying later in life don't have wedding showers because they don't need anything. Many also ask for a donation to a charity instead of money or gifts at the wedding.

I stand by my comment if you have everything you need, it is tacky to ask for money for a vacation.  A wedding is to share the day, not to fund your next vacation.

This is my opinion, it will not change and as I said before we will have to agree to disagree on this subject......over and out for me.

@Travone   ...and I stand by my comment too...If it's tacky to register at a travel site it's just as tacky to register at a store's gift registry.  No difference.  It doens't mean you have to follow their requests.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

JMO but most young people today are spoiled. They want everything right away. Instant gratification. Life isn’t like that.

That’s a sweeping broad stroke.

The ‘young people today’ are not the problem.

Their PARENT’S generation is the one responsible for these

’spoiled kids’ looking for instant gratification.

The kids are just doing what they were taught. 

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My son is getting married next September. His fiancé doesn’t even want to have a registry.She thinks it’s tacky to ask people to buy you anything specific.

I would be appalled if my son & his fiancé asked people to contribute toward a honeymoon or anything else. When I got married I didn’t get to go on a honeymoon.Because we couldn’t afford it. We saved up & took a 2 week vacation to Florida for our 1st anniversary.We took the train & stayed in cheap hotels & ate fast food.Lol!!

@NicksmomESQ @That is a pretty dramatic statement about most young people. Are these young people you know? But of course it’s not your young one. 

I don’t like hearing about how horrible other people are except for the people related to the OP. Sweeping and dramatic statements. All young people spoiled but yours.LOL!

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NicksmomESQ @That is a pretty dramatic statement about most young people. Are these young people you know? But of course it’s not your young one. 

I don’t like hearing about how horrible other people are except for the people related to the OP. Sweeping and dramatic statements. All young people spoiled but yours.LOL!

TO KNOW "most" of the young people today is quite a feat!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Re: Wedding gift question

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

WOW! Lot's of sweeping generalizations about young people. But more to my point, how, precisely, is it tacky to let people know what gifts you might like to receive? Registries are suggestions, not commandments.  I find them very helpful when selecting gifts. I certainly don't want to be the 15th person to give a couple a rice cooker!

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I am not the only person on these boards to say that a lot of young people today are spoiled. I raised my son not to be.No he’s not perfect .But he’s not spoiled.

My son himself has said he can’t believe how spoiled his generation is. I know enough of them to form my own opinion. I never said they were bad people.Or that everyone of them is spoiled. 

As far as registries, to each their own.

That being said we are all friends on these boards & there is a way to disagree with someone respectfully.

I hope you all enjoy your Labor Day Weekend!! I know I will. I’m throwing DH a huge surprise birthday party!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have only ever received one invite like that and on their registry the vacation sidetrips were listed.  Like anything else, you could do it all online.  Like $25 towards this side excursion, or if you wanted to pay for an entire excurision.  It was listed right there with their Target registry, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Amazon, etc.   For me, I don't mind it or find it to be a gift grab.  Let's face it, when invited to a wedding generally one expects to bring a present.  I would much rather get them something they want and see what they have already received rather than get them their third mixer, etc.  If there is no registry I am asking the mom or whomever what do they want.  I also like to do it online and have it sent to their home so that I don't have to bring it to the wedding and they don't have to transport it afterwards.   Nobody has to worry about the envelopes with the money getting lost, that kind of thing.   They are notified with their gift who sent it.  If people aren't getting a thank you, it's because the recipients don't do "thanks yous" rather than the companies not informing them who the gift is from.

As far as the kids today expecting huge things, I don't find that.  When my friends got married in the '70s and '80s, people brought gifts.  There may not have been an online registry, but people brought gifts.  As far as kids today wanting big ticket items, I have been to plenty of weddings where mixing bowls, measuring cups, cookbooks, your basics were also on the list.   In fact, I have been to a number of weddings over the last 10 years and I can't think of one couple who asked for anything I felt was outlandish.  Now, my favorite was a bridal shower, buffet, where one guest had the ***** to tell the server that there was nothing there she liked and he needed to go back to the kitchen and get her some other dish she named.  So I guess I just don't travel in those circles but there are a lot out there!  lol