Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I am not the only person on these boards to say that a lot of young people today are spoiled. I raised my son not to be.No he’s not perfect .But he’s not spoiled.

My son himself has said he can’t believe how spoiled his generation is. I know enough of them to form my own opinion. I never said they were bad people.Or that everyone of them is spoiled. 

As far as registries, to each their own.

That being said we are all friends on these boards & there is a way to disagree with someone respectfully.

I hope you all enjoy your Labor Day Weekend!! I know I will. I’m throwing DH a huge surprise birthday party!!

@NicksmomESQ :  Well I hope your DDIL returns all those gifts she will probably be glad to get LOL.  

Esteemed Contributor

Once you go to the website it might guide you on when to give the funds. I think this is a great idea. I like giving a gift the couple wants. if it is towards the honeymoon so be it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Wedding gift question

[ Edited ]

I know this is more the norm now, but it’s still tacky to ASK for money for the honeymoon. Period. If they don’t want gifts, them a nice card and don’t encourage the greedy money grab. 

Trusted Contributor

I really don't like these "fund" gifts. Do they even know who donated or is it just one big amount in the account. Plus I feel if you can't pay for the honeymoon, then plan something you can afford and not expect others to pay for it. I would just bring the check to the wedding with a card,  for the amount you had planned to give them. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't read all the responses, but I'm with the posters that said to give a check at the time of the wedding. 

Respected Contributor

They requested money for their wedding gift to go towards the honeymoon.

Give them the money on the Wedding Day and let them be responsible for what they use it for.

Respected Contributor

I think it's tacky as heck.  Tacky to ask for money and tacky to tell people what to give.  If that's the case, it's not what I call a gift.

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@panda1234 , that is a new one for me.  I kind of think that just looks like such a money grab.  Am I the only one that thinks that?  I know it happens but I think it’s tacky.  LM

Very Much So,  IMHO

monke~

Honored Contributor

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

I think it's tacky as heck.  Tacky to ask for money and tacky to tell people what to give.  If that's the case, it's not what I call a gift.

Yes and it's TACKY to even have a shower or registry.....If one is tacky then ALL gift requests are!   

Honored Contributor

There is nothing wrong with a registry as long as it's requested. Wait to be asked.

If Invited to someone's home for dinner or to stay the weekend, a gift is required but the one inviting doesn't provide a list of wanted gifts. The same goes for birthday parties and weddings, it's appropriate to give a gift and the attendee can ask for suggestions but no suggestions should be offered if not asked.