Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud 

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Whoever let this guy out on bail should be fired or resign immediately.

A lot of bad people  are being released from jail and go out and kill again.

Calif. great for this, especially Los Angeles and San Francisco.

I've heard that and there should be consequences for all that are a part of it wherever it's occurring.

Trusted Contributor

Yes,last nite this horrible news came on our local channels.Many people died plus injuries reported, Very sad news you have to wonder why did this happen.

Honored Contributor

Now, now, one feels certain there are those who will see this alleged perpetrator as a thoroughly charming individual who has merely been misunderstood and is nothing more than a victim himself... And hence the crux of the problem... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

Re: Waukesha, Wisconsin

[ Edited ]

God Bless America and all the good people who live here....sadly, our society seems to be circling the drain. 

I can't imagine the trauma the people who witnessed this tragedy will have to deal with, especially the children.  Innoocence lost in a matter of minutes.

aka "pitstop"

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@eadu4 wrote:

The person the police have arrested (the driver) has an extensive felony record.  They are still looking for 2 others that escaped that were in the car with him. It seems he was fleeing a crime he committed and found him self in the middle of the parade.  

Yes, I wonder how soon this story will go from "deliberate slaughter" and "possible terrorism" to "just a horrible accident."

Mr Darrell Brooks didn't just find himself in the middle of a parade.

That image of someone just making an unfortunate wrong turn into a parade route is a lie.

The parade route was blocked off and barricaded.  

Put yourself behind the steering wheel. You're facing a blocked off street, and seeing that, instead of taking the detour you think it's best to drive your vehicle through the barricades and barriers.

Now you're facing a Christmas Parade in progress. (This year's theme is "Comfort and Joy".)

Do you turn?

Back up?

Park the vehicle and disappear into the crowd?

No.

For a while you drive in the gap between watchers on the sidewalk and those parading in the street.

But you see that gap disappears ahead of you.

What will you do next?

According to witnesses you hit the accelerator and just drive through people like a bowling ball hits the pins.

That what happened.

That's what Mr Darrell Brooks did.

Nothing accidental about it.

At this point there are 5 dead and 40 injured.

@x HedgeShe knows this.  You are missing the point of her post.

@Isobel Archer 

I believe you are missing the point of my post @Cakers3 .

I'm addressing the appalling dishonesty in language.

Some media outlets are already going for a "softer" description of events. The usual pundits will most likely describe him as some hapless guy who became bewildered & agitated when he somehow just inexplicably"found him self in the middle of the parade."

Respected Contributor

Re: Waukesha, Wisconsin

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@eadu4 wrote:

The person the police have arrested (the driver) has an extensive felony record.  They are still looking for 2 others that escaped that were in the car with him. It seems he was fleeing a crime he committed and found him self in the middle of the parade.  

Yes, I wonder how soon this story will go from "deliberate slaughter" and "possible terrorism" to "just a horrible accident."

Mr Darrell Brooks didn't just find himself in the middle of a parade.

That image of someone just making an unfortunate wrong turn into a parade route is a lie.

The parade route was blocked off and barricaded.  

Put yourself behind the steering wheel. You're facing a blocked off street, and seeing that, instead of taking the detour you think it's best to drive your vehicle through the barricades and barriers.

Now you're facing a Christmas Parade in progress. (This year's theme is "Comfort and Joy".)

Do you turn?

Back up?

Park the vehicle and disappear into the crowd?

No.

For a while you drive in the gap between watchers on the sidewalk and those parading in the street.

But you see that gap disappears ahead of you.

What will you do next?

According to witnesses you hit the accelerator and just drive through people like a bowling ball hits the pins.

That what happened.

That's what Mr Darrell Brooks did.

Nothing accidental about it.

At this point there are 5 dead and 40 injured.

@x HedgeShe knows this.  You are missing the point of her post.

@Isobel Archer 

I believe you are missing the point of my post @Cakers3 .

I'm addressing the appalling dishonesty in language.

Some media outlets are already going for a "softer" description of events. The usual pundits will most likely describe him as some hapless guy who became bewildered & agitated when he somehow just inexplicably"found him self in the middle of the parade."

Oh I agree.

However, I also think the media has so overplayed their hands in lying recently, that if they try that with this, there may be some actual pushback.

Too many people witnessed this and too many were injured and killed to pretend that this guy should get a pass.

What's probably more likely now is that - like with other inconvenient stories - they will simply stop covering it and "move on."

But we'll see.

Honored Contributor

A horrific incident, and the person responsible should be prosecuted to the highest, I don't care what his story is-this was a tragedy!

I live 45 minutes south of Waukesha, and it is a nice community with lots of families and good schools. This was senseless and showed no regard whatsoever of the value of life...Innocent lives lost for what???An individual trying to escape from another crime?

Esteemed Contributor

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: 

(Apparently he has used a vehicle as a weapon before.)

Darrell Brooks Jr., the man suspected of being the driver, has been charged three times in less than two years with recklessly endangering the safety of others, most recently on Nov. 5 as part of a domestic abuse incident for which he was also charged with resisting or obstructing an officer.

In the most recent case, a woman told police Brooks purposefully ran her "over with his vehicle" while she was walking through a gas station parking lot after he had followed her there after a fight, according to the criminal complaint. The woman was hospitalized for her injuries, court records show.

Trusted Contributor

Update: One person is in custody who had just posted bail two days ago, and police are looking for three other persons of interest. Current toll is five dead and over 40 injured. Such a senseless tragedy. 

Trusted Contributor
Maybe the driver thought his life was in danger. Maybe he was defending himself. Never know.
Stranger things have happened.