Respected Contributor

Re: Waukesha, Wisconsin

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

Does Wisconsin have one of those laws where you can run people over if they are blocking the road? That might have emboldened people to think they can just run anyone down if they are in the road.

I'm pretty  sure there's not a law anywhere that allows you to "run over people blocking the road."  And in this case, they weren't "blocking" anything.  They were on an approved parade route - with barricades to protect them from traffic.

But good try at defending him.  I'm sure we will see much more of this.

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:
Maybe the driver thought his life was in danger. Maybe he was defending himself. Never know.
Stranger things have happened.

That's not as subtle as you think it is.

Step one towards "proof"

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Does Wisconsin have one of those laws where you can run people over if they are blocking the road? That might have emboldened people to think they can just run anyone down if they are in the road.

I'm pretty  sure there's not a law anywhere that allows you to "run over people blocking the road."  And in this case, they weren't "blocking" anything.  They were on an approved parade route - with barricades to protect them from traffic.

I hope not. Killing people should be avoided whenever possible. Everyone agrees on that. It's bizarre to argue otherwise. If a person feels threatened or angry, they should leave the situation and cool down or take shelter. Not kill people. Kind of anti-psychopathology 101.

I hope the recent laws that allow people to run people over do not encourage anyone to run people over. I am sure we all agree on that as well.

Only people who are trying to argue against straw man imaginary opponents think that their enemies intend to justify killing grannies. It says more about the state of mind of the person posing that strange argument than anything else.

All lives are equal and matter.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope that many of you are praying for, or sending positive thoughts to, those who are in critical condition, including five children, as I've just read.

This is another tragedy and points out the disregard for others that is rife in the world.  All types are guilty of this.

Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:
Maybe the driver thought his life was in danger. Maybe he was defending himself. Never know.
Stranger things have happened.

That's not as subtle as you think it is.

Step one towards "proof"

awww. you're making me cry.

Subtlety is not my thing.

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I hope that many of you are praying for, or sending positive thoughts to, those who are in critical condition, including five children, as I've just read.

This is another tragedy and points out the disregard for others that is rife in the world.  All types are guilty of this.

Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Praying will not bring the dead back or heal the families of the dead and wounded.

You know what will help the families? Justice. Hope it's not denied.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I hope not. Killing people should be avoided whenever possible. Everyone agrees on that. It's bizarre to argue otherwise. If a person feels threatened or angry, they should leave the situation and cool down or take shelter. Not kill people. Kind of anti-psychopathology 101.

I hope the recent laws that allow people to run people over do not encourage anyone to run people over. I am sure we all agree on that as well.

Only people who are trying to argue against straw man imaginary opponents think that their enemies intend to justify killing grannies. It says more about the state of mind of the person posing that strange argument than anything else.

All lives are equal and matter.

I believe the law you refer to deals with a motorist being surrounded and/or threatened with bodily harm and attempting to get away from said threat.  It would not apply to speeding into a crowd and running over people.

Honored Contributor

I stand firm on endorsing praying and positive thoughts.  

As for justice -- I want to see it applied everywhere.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

I stand firm on endorsing praying and positive thoughts.  

As for justice -- I want to see it applied everywhere.

Unfortunately for families of those killed, justice is not applied. Loopholes, ridiculous excuses attempted to be made real through bastardizing legal and constitutional concepts seem to rule the day. It's sad.

What we see with our own eyes, hear with our own ears are dissembled and perverted until we no longer believe what is evident before our own eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

Suspect was previously charged with bail jumping. A felony.

So the DA recommended a $500 bail that he posted himself.