Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 I get why you want them open, but even when I want that, I really have no idea what those extra hours cost them.  Some employee hours, sales, stocking, security -  but also lights, A/C level, and whatever else might change between open and closed hours.

As for the cleaning -  I do know that varies by store management.  I have to be desperate for time to shop at the Walmart closest to my home when given another 10 minutes (20 total), I'm at a cleaner, brighter Walmart.

Honored Contributor

A lot of swing shift workers shop there at odd hours. Walmart will need to be open at least long enough to cover all of the different shifts at the different employers in the store areas. Low income hourly workers are Walmart's bread and butter.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I only go into WMart if I have no other options, the one closest to me has not figured out the pickup  plan...always must wait a long time or they miss most of what I ordered. Scratch that. I went in two days ago and was so irritated. It is a huge supercenter...and they have only one door open now for both in and out which makes social distancing impossible. No access to handicapped parking spaces since only four are by the one door that is open. Garden center is open but you have to brung your stuff all the way back into the store to check out..they are not enforcing the mask mandate here. All employees had masks but most had them hanging around their necks and not on their faces. Many customers were not wearing them or even had them at all. This store opened five years ago instead of an upscale shopping center that was promised. Our whole area has gone downhill because of it. 24/7 is something that lasted about 6 months but after so many crimes happening they stopped that. I hate that place and am done with it now. How does the fire marshall allow only one exit in such a huge store? Smh

Esteemed Contributor

I find it amazing how much information Walmart employees have concerning corporate matters.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I live in a very small town and I know several people here who miss the 24/7 hours at Walmart.  Sad.  So many of their employees are assigned to cleaning, along with monitoring the entryway.  They even have someone handing out masks for those who left theirs behind.  Great service, but in shorter hours.  I've even mastered the self check.  I look around at others, and everyone seems to have it down.  Now none of us can complain about slow checkout.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Even if they aren't open 24/7 I would like to see them increase their store hours now.  Mine is open 7am -8:30 PM.  Another store by me that was 24/7 is 6am to 10PM.  I was rushed out of Walmart twice due to their early closing.  I don't see why either of these stores couldn't be open until Midnight.

@mimomof4 

Have you considered there is an economic recession due in part to Covid-19 virus, means less employees? Less customers?

I live alone in a basement apartment and have never set foot in a Walmart for anything.    I do not need to buy clothes.   I have an anxiety disorder that makes me afraid of going out and being exposed to germs and dying.  This latest is to the  deadly Covid-19 virus.

I shop online for food, and get everything I need or want.   I order groceries from my local grocery stores, QVC/HSN, Costco, Amazon, and Walmart.
Weekends, it's Chinese or Italian take out.   Everything delivered.  Contactless delivery.

If people do not like Walmart's  store hours or policies,   then go shop elsewhere.  😁 SMH.

9CBC8470-A84C-4D85-B193-A73F35E23B7B.gif

Stay safe. Stay home.”

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~

Honored Contributor

I'm always cautious about our Walmart. One employee was shot by another employee and was hospitalized for months, another shopper was run down and killed in the parking lot. I try to go during daylight hours. I'm unsure as to how busy they are during the night.  

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Well, as has been pointed out, the stores already have the lights on for employees stocking the shelves. And more and more people work(ed) non traditional M-F 9/5 schedules. I use to love being able to go up and down the aisles, spotting new grocery items without hearing screaming kids. And being able to stop after work and buy aspirin, socks, a quart of milk and new wiper blades all in one stop was so convenient. 

I imagine the larger stores that started as Super Walmart, open 24/7 in profitable markets, will return. 

not only the screaming kids but all ********* employees shopping for the online  folks with those 7 ft high racks on wheels pushing me out of the way, stockers on ladders, scooting their ladders up and down and always just where I'm looking at the shelves.

I've had to go to another aisle and peek down there to make sure the ladders and the rolling trolleys are gone and run back to where I was.

Honored Contributor

We have three Walmart Supercenters in my town and three of the Walmart Grocery stores as well.  I call them Walmart Green since the Supercenters logo is in blue.  I usually only go to a supercenter once every six weeks or so and hit the grocery store version every week.  There is an aisle for buying some types of hardware but not much.  Also the grocery stores do not have all the cosmetic's, skin care ect... like the Supercenters.  Everyone of them no matter what part of our city they are in are very clean.  Since I try to shop very early on Sunday mornings usually no kids or crazy people.  Still in bed or just getting to bed.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

My Niece works at Walmart in the suburbs of Chicago, I will have to ask her and see what her take is on it.  I never went in the wee hours anyway and now I never go in, I am strictly a curbside pick up kinda.  That started well over a year ago after knee surgery and continues to this day.  it's either that or online ordering.  Not sure if i will ever feel comfortable going into a store again.  Honestly I just don't miss it.

------

I can't imagine being OK, with the idea, of never going in a store again. 

I just don't think that's healthy, individually, and it certainly wouldn't be healthy, for our economy, if, most people felt that way.