Honored Contributor

When I worked in retail it was common for us to work until 1 AM or 2AM. It took hours to restock, straighten up the store, move displays and just get the store back in order after being open all those hours.

Many of us, that was our only chance to do grocery shopping or shopping. The manager of our store was always going to Walmart for diapers and formula. I was always doing grocery shopping.

I couldn't do grocery shopping before work because the food would have to sit in my car for 8 hours. We didn't have refrigerators in the store. 

I was thankful that stores were open at that hour. And also thankful I no longer work in retail.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I think it's another way they're trying to protect workers.  Cash is dirty even without the virus, so a cashier handling cash for hours a day really becomes a viral target especially if you live anywhere near a hot spot.

I do hope we see all sorts of the business practices that have been caused by the virus disappear when the virus does.  I don't mind the no-cash, but I don't like the no dressing rooms in many places nor do I like all the plastic dividers although I wouldn't want to shop without them right now.

Respected Contributor

Even before the Pandemic shorter hours were enacted here. It just wasn't profitable to be open 24hrs. The same with the major  town supermarket. I liked to stop after I worked third shift years ago after 11pm. Six am to midnight would be fine.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Thank you!!!  Yes, I try to remember that just because I don't like something or need it, doesn't mean that others don't need or like it.  I know that with all that is going on with the virus, it's hard to keep people safe -- workers and customers.  I honestly don't know how these people who work in retail handle it --- I know I couldn't!  And I give them so much credit!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@millieshops 

Yes, that does make sense about the money -- because it is very dirty!!!!  And I agree --- when this virus thing is over, I hope things can go back to as near normal as they were before.  I guess we just never realized how good we had it before --- we were so used to   our way of life and our normal way of doing things!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

Even before the Pandemic shorter hours were enacted here. It just wasn't profitable to be open 24hrs. The same with the major  town supermarket. I liked to stop after I worked third shift years ago after 11pm. Six am to midnight would be fine.

Wow, they gave you access to the stores financial information that showed ot was not profitable.  Surprisingly stores are not profitable every hour of every day they are open.  It is often better to stay open for a those that need your services at those off hours.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

Talked to a emploee at Walmart today and they told me that Walmart will most likely never be open 24/7.  

@BalletBabe    Unless this person was from the executive suite in Arkansas, I don't know how he could possibly know what Walmart's hours will be 10 years from now.

@Kachina624   They work there.  I don't think anyone knows what will be going on in 10 years from now.  Seriously , there may not be a Walmart in 10 years.  They right now are only open till 8:30.  I don't need them open all night,  but it would be nice to be open at least till 11:00.  When the Snow Birds are here , I shop later,  because I can't deal with all the scooters and blocking of isles. I like to get what I need and get out.  I am doing most things from Amazon now, but I refuse to sit in my house and not go out.  I also will not stay away from my Family.  Life is too short and they won't rob me of that time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

Talked to a emploee at Walmart today and they told me that Walmart will most likely never be open 24/7.  

@BalletBabe 

Never is a long time. 

I’ve never needed any store to be open 24/7 but I really like the time and money I am saving just doing online orders for pickup/delivery for everything. I’m unlikely to ever care much about the hours for B&M shopping because I may never have need to go in one again! 

@willdob3   I don't need them open 24 hours a day either but when the Snow Birds flock in , they need to at least be re stocking at night.  It is a nightmare to try to shop with all the scooters and people blocking isles.  Now, if they are stocking shelves also during the day , it will e a nightmare.   I would like to see them open till 11:00 pm.  8:30 is just too early.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe    Unless this person was from the executive suite in Arkansas, I don't know how he could possibly know what Walmart's hours will be 10 years from now.

@Kachina624   They work there.  I don't think anyone knows what will be going on in 10 years from now.  Seriously , there may not be a Walmart in 10 years.  They right now are only open till 8:30.  I don't need them open all night,  but it would be nice to be open at least till 11:00.  When the Snow Birds are here , I shop later,  because I can't deal with all the scooters and blocking of isles. I like to get what I need and get out.  I am doing most things from Amazon now, but I refuse to sit in my house and not go out.  I also will not stay away from my Family.  Life is too short and they won't rob me of that time. 

@BalletBabe  Why would you have to sit in your house and not see your family? And what does Walmart have to do with it? I am confused.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe  Why would you have to sit in your house and not see your family? And what does Walmart have to do with it? I am confused.

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  Someone on here said they won't go to stores anymore.  Meaning they will never go to a store again.   People need to get out.  It is not healthy to be in the house all the time.  The family thing has nothing to do with Walmart.  I just threw that in, because I believe some are taking this too far.  Such as :  The people driving in their cars alone with a mask on?  People not seeing their Family, and now people are afraid to go into a store.  The fear is going to kill them before the virus.