Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on NY? What's going on there now (due to the Pandemic)?

As with almost everything,  it's easy to get vaccinated in New York City if you're rich or famous or preferably both.

It is awkward,  cumbersome and excessively bureaucratic,confusing and frustrating still for an average, regular, nonfamous, not rich resident. 

Trusted Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

As with almost everything,  it's easy to get vaccinated in New York City if you're rich or famous or preferably both.

It is awkward,  cumbersome and excessively bureaucratic,confusing and frustrating still for an average, regular, nonfamous, not rich resident. 

@Johnnyeager  WADR....  I don't know what city you're in, but second story on the 5 p.m. news showed video of packed restaurants on the UWS today.  Also, getting vaxed in the city may have been confusing and frustrating at the outset but today?  It's quite easy because there is an abundance of vaccine and just about anyone can simply walk in to a vax site without an appointment.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

We are almost at 50% fully vaccinated rate and the city is moving forward. Broadway will be reopening as well as most activities are already opened to some degree. Most people are wearing masks as indicated. You can't keep NY down. 

That's so great! Everyone who wants to protect themselves from Covid and get back to normal can. And for free.

Plus, as the kids of vaccinated parents and grandparents get vaccinated too, the numbers will only get better.

I also think we tend to forget about the vaccine hesitant people who are also very concerned about Covid, and who stay home and take precautions in order to not catch or spread the disease. Those people are not anti-vaxxers. They are vaccine hesitant. And they are doing their part even though they aren't counted in the vaccination records. I appreciate them as well. They are not part of the problem.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@Johnnyeager  WADR....  I don't know what city you're in, but second story on the 5 p.m. news showed video of packed restaurants on the UWS today.  Also, getting vaxed in the city may have been confusing and frustrating at the outset but today?  It's quite easy because there is an abundance of vaccine and just about anyone can simply walk in to a vax site without an appointment.

Packed?  I seriously doubt that unless they have decided to ignore the occupancy limits.  The boroughs can't go to full occupancy until May 19th.....

Esteemed Contributor

The hyper-privileged areas of Manhattan have never followed the rules.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Packed?  I seriously doubt that unless they have decided to ignore the occupancy limits.  The boroughs can't go to full occupancy until May 19th.....

Packed outside.  Within capacity guidelines inside.  Are you in for an argument?  I'm not interested in arguing with you.  You can look up the video of PIX11 news. smh.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

DH is in NYC this weekend.  Streets are crowded.  NYC will return to "normal" but IMO it will take a couple of years.  Broadway has a long way to go.  Don't know how they will "social distance" in those claustrophobic theaters.  And wearing a mask for 2-3 hours is not an attractive prospect.  It will also take awhile for museums to get back to "normal."  NYC has survived and rebounded from many disasters and it will from this one but it won't be quick.

Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I live in a residential section of Manhattan ... East Side.  Masks not needed if vaxxed and out of doors.  But - not many non-maskers on the streets.  

Nothing unusual going on here - normal activity  .... lots of people on the street, lots of (buses, trucks, emergency vehicles, cars) traffic both last night and this morning.  More than the usual number of bike riders.

Went to vigil Mass last night - at pandemic capacity.  Watched the televised Mass online this morning - looked like a capacity attendance again.  

Went to supermarket this morning around 11:30 - usual number of shoppers.  

Between the supermarket and my apartment, I pass 4 restaurants with outdoor dining - there were people waiting to be seated at one of them (Japanese). 

I was rather surprised there were so many people out so early for lunch on Sunday - just a little past noon.  Obviously - people eating aren't wearing masks.

Rain is forecast for this afternoon - so that may be the reason for the early diners.

One new restaurant opened last week ... lots of outside and roof dining.

Another is expected to open in about two weeks.

Lots of traffic - both last night and this morning.  Streets are full of people. 

Still can't get Pfizer appt at my preferred location and I'm not going anywhere else or accepting any other vaxx.

Given there is a CVS, Walgreens or Duane Reed on almost every block, in addition to the multiple city and state centers all over the city, I can't understand how you cannot find the injection you are looking for. Unless it is simply an excuse for not getting one.

Thought the  powers that be told everyone to get whatever vaccine they can get.  Really disappointing.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

my son was in new york about 3 weeks ago visiting. he said it was very busy.....lots of people in the streets walking.......and everywhere he wanted to go to eat or drink was open (fine dining, fast food, and other types of food places.) he really enjoyed it. he even skateboarded across the brooklyn bridge. he sent me pics and it looked busy. maybe not quite as busy as "normal," but busy and certainly not quiet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@reiki604 

My body, my choice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely and I respect that. This is why we wear masks. For the unvaccinated. I hope you believe the same thing for everyone else

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown