Trusted Contributor

Aldi has USDA choice beef tenderloin (filet mignon) for $8.99/lb. this week.  I've never bought their meat before.  The price is very good.  Anyone have an opinion on the quality of their meat?  TIA

Esteemed Contributor

They have excellent pork chops and extra lean ground beef. 

Esteemed Contributor

I find Aldi's meat to be very good, comparable to our other supermarkets, including WEGMAN'S. Their organic chickens and their lean ground beef are excellent. The only problem I had with any Aldi's meat was a frozen turkey breast. It looked nothing like regular turkey breasts e.g., Butterball, but it was just as salty.

Trusted Contributor

@WORKING GAL  Though I love their lean ground beef and their hamburgers (best we've found and when on sale, I stock up and use that for all my beef meals), we found their beef tenderloin to be hit or miss. 

What I ALWAYS buy and stock up on:

* in bone chicken breast (great for roasting and using as is or in recipes)

* skinless/boneless breasts (family pack and freeze 2 to a bag. HUGE and that's all I need for a family of 6 when it comes to soups, casseroles, salads, etc).

* pork tenderloin (already seasoned). Didn't care for the plain ones

* boneless THIN pork chops that comes in a deep container. None of their other pork chops have been good.

* pre-made hamburgers (4 or 10 to a box). Excellent in every way.

* ground beef when on sale but prefer the hamburger (does NOT taste the same and don't know why)

* nitrate free and sugar free bacon. BEST of any out there.

I've tried their roasts and steaks and found them to be tough, very fatty/and or not great tasting. That said, I've only bought them when on sale so maybe they're a cheaper cut than when not on sale. When they have Tyson roasters on sale, I pick up 2-3; same if they have Perdue. Their organic roaster is very nice but expensive for being around 3.5 pounds. Still, when it goes on sale (buy one, get one free), it's a good deal. Their sausages (mild and hot) are good and NOT fatty at all (compared to other brands, the amount of fat they don't have is shocking). They little pork meatballs are great for sliders. HTH!! Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee - thanks for the info.  Hubby went to get a pkg. of filet just now.  Hopefully it will be a"hit" and not a "miss".  I also like their hamburgers and we love their 16 oz. pkg of guacamole.  It is prepackaged in 2- 8 oz. portions and keeps for a while without going black.  You can spice it up or not.  We just had it last night with pork carnitas for Cinco de Mayo.  Some items are good at Aldi and some not great.  We're trying their soft cream cheese this week for the first time. We do like their 12 grain bread and buy it frequently.  Thanks again.

Trusted Contributor

@WORKING GAL  Their cream cheese is excellent; only brand I buy now and yes, LOVE the guac!  The tenderloins were GREAT when they were a hit, lol.  I read how many love their porkchops; it may have been that we just got a bad batch the times I've purchased them. Overall, I think they do well with chicken and their ground beef and the price is the best around. Enjoy those tenderloins!! Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

We don't eat a lot of ground beef, but I always have Aldi organic ground beef in the freezer. It comes in a 1# cube for around $5.69 (by me). I also like Trader Joe's organic, but it's about $1 more. 

Respected Contributor

I couldn't remember seeing that low a price ($8.99) for the filet so I went back to check the flyer. In my area the price is $12.99.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@WORKING GAL  Though I love their lean ground beef and their hamburgers (best we've found and when on sale, I stock up and use that for all my beef meals), we found their beef tenderloin to be hit or miss. 

What I ALWAYS buy and stock up on:

* in bone chicken breast (great for roasting and using as is or in recipes)

* skinless/boneless breasts (family pack and freeze 2 to a bag. HUGE and that's all I need for a family of 6 when it comes to soups, casseroles, salads, etc).

* pork tenderloin (already seasoned). Didn't care for the plain ones

* boneless THIN pork chops that comes in a deep container. None of their other pork chops have been good.

* pre-made hamburgers (4 or 10 to a box). Excellent in every way.

* ground beef when on sale but prefer the hamburger (does NOT taste the same and don't know why)

* nitrate free and sugar free bacon. BEST of any out there.

I've tried their roasts and steaks and found them to be tough, very fatty/and or not great tasting. That said, I've only bought them when on sale so maybe they're a cheaper cut than when not on sale. When they have Tyson roasters on sale, I pick up 2-3; same if they have Perdue. Their organic roaster is very nice but expensive for being around 3.5 pounds. Still, when it goes on sale (buy one, get one free), it's a good deal. Their sausages (mild and hot) are good and NOT fatty at all (compared to other brands, the amount of fat they don't have is shocking). They little pork meatballs are great for sliders. HTH!! Smiley Happy

Just make sure the package DOESN'T say "assorted pork chops".  The two they put on top were beautiful to look at, what was underneath was pretty much garbage.

Respected Contributor

Keep in mind, "Twice As Nice" if it turns out to be inedible, return it and get your money back AND get a replacement item.