Honored Contributor

I do not understand why the neighbor was not confronted when she or he did this deed. I suspect it was fear of confrontation and had nothing to do w/pjs.

Valued Contributor

Where I live every family has to register with the town for either town pick up or private service.  Dosen't matter if you are in a single family home or if you are in a multi-family building.  If in a multi-family building then the landlord has to provide bins for each apartment and then charges the tenant whatever he is charged for the service.  If you want to switch services you have to nofiy the town.  That usually takes care of that kind of a problem.  IMO, I would notify the HOA to see what they say.  I'm sure that, over time, they may have dealt with this kind of a situation before and would be able to give you some advice. Good luck with it.  It's a delimma regardless of what you do.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

For all those that don't think it's a big deal, what if there is something harmful in the trash? That liability would fall on you. 

It could be anything from e-waste, fluorescent bulbs, chemical waste, batteries, pepper spray, instruments of a crime, illegal contraband, ammunition or firearm, and heaven knows what else. 

It thoughtless and inconsiderate to say the least.

@Etoile308   Unless city/town collectors are looking into every bin, nobody would know who is disposing unaccepatable items.

Once the bin is emptied everything is in one truck mixed with other neighbor's bags.

The issue here is not "what if" - the issue is the woman had her own bin and used the OP's to dispose a leaking bag-which means she now has to wash her bin out of the neighbor's carp.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

So was the bag leaking or not?????????

Stories that flop around tend to be suspect.

Honored Contributor

For everyone who has neighbors taking in each other's bins and such-that is fine.

However, that is not the issue here.

Although we know the bins are public property once placed at the curb, the issue is this neighbor dumped her trash where it did not belong.

We do not know the reason.

And I'm not sure what trash compactors have to do with this topic.

Honored Contributor

Re: Trashy Neighbor

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN 

In this day and age I would NOT be openly confrontational with anyone.  Let the HOA handle it....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

I am friendly with almost all of my neighbors in our cul-de-sac...

However, I have a neighbor (3 doors down) who looks the other way and obviously tries NOT to speak whenever she is outside.

If I "caught" her putting her trash in our receptable, I'd fling open the door and yell "GOOD MORNING, HOW ARE YOU?"

Non-confrontational, yet effective, don't you think? (LOL) Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

I went back and re-read the OP @jellyBEAN .

You wrote that you were not dressed (in pajamas) at 6:30 a.m.so you didn't confront the neighbor whom you saw adding trash to your bin, which was put out there at 6:30 a.m.?

Like others have stated, I don't see the big deal having trash added an hour before pickup, when yours was out and ready to go?

I would be annoyed if someone dumped something heavy, for example, into my trash can and I was not able to carry it to the curb (or I could not close the lid when I added my trash).  Once it's on the curb, I would rather have all neighborhood trash in a can rather than in bags (or loose) on the sidewalk or in the street, where animals or weather might impact it. 

Personally, I would let it go.

Guess it is ok to take the trash cans out to the street in you pj's but not talk to the neighbor.

@CrazyDaisy, I don't think that the OP mentioned taking her trash out that morning.

Yes she did, just above lolakimonos post.

@CrazyDaisy, I stand corrected. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@jellyBEAN 

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

Your can was already out with your trash in it, ready for pickup, or it was not?

OP's Later Post

I put my receptacle out on Monday morning about 6:30 am.  Lately, they've been picking it up early - usually by 7:30am.  Most people in this community put their trash receptacles out on Sunday night, to be sure it is out for pick up.  Even though the HOA rules say, trash should not be put out til the day of pickup (Monday).  So me being a rule follower, and up early anyway, I put mine out Monday morning. 

The Trashy Neighbor's trash was put out Sunday night, along with most of the other neighbors that don't wait til Monday am.  So yes, my can was out ready for pick up and pretty well filled up as I had a lot of gardening debris as well as regular trash.  I didn't see that her can was overflowing with stuff, the lid was closed.  As was her other neighbor's cans on her side of the street.  Plain and simple, she had no business dumping her leaky ****** in my bin.  I'm glad the HOA will let her know about it.

OP's Original Post

"At about 6:30am, I was opening up my blinds and front door to get ready for the day, and I noticed the lady who lives across the street, carry over a large trash bag filled with her trash and dump it in my receptacle.  Trash pickup here is Monday am.

I am not friendly with this woman.  She is just a neighbor who lives across the way.  She has other neighbors she is friendly with on either side of her.  Why didn't she put her trash in one of their receptacles?

I was going to confront her about it, as I have enough of my own trash to deal with, but at 6:30 am I wasn't dressed (still in pj's) and I didn't want to begin my day with confrontation."

Maybe I've got this completely mixed up. In which case I'm sure a dozen people will inform me. But I see a problem with the timeline, as I think some others have noticed. And a logic problem.

• Neighbor put her garbage out on Sunday night.
  • The OP put her garbage out at 6:30 AM Monday morning.
  • AND the OP says she wasn't dressed yet at 6:30 AM Monday morning and saw the neighbor put trash in the OP's trash bin, which would have had to be out on the street for the neighbor to do that. But if the OP was just getting up at that moment, when did she put out her trash can?

The neighbor's trash was leaky according to the OP, which is a valid reason for complaint beyond being understandably territorial about one's trash cans.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Not everyone has an HOA.