Respected Contributor

At about 6:30am, I was opening up my blinds and front door to get ready for the day, and I noticed the lady who lives across the street, carry over a large trash bag filled with her trash and dump it in my receptacle.  Trash pickup here is Monday am.

I am not friendly with this woman.  She is just a neighbor who lives across the way.  She has other neighbors she is friendly with on either side of her.  Why didn't she put her trash in one of their receptacles?

I was going to confront her about it, as I have enough of my own trash to deal with, but at 6:30 am I wasn't dressed (still in pj's) and I didn't want to begin my day with confrontation.

I wonder how many times she's done this.  If she would have asked me nicely I would have told her fine, but she just dumped it in there without a care in the world.  And like I stated, we are not friendly.  She never waves or even bothers to look in my direction, so I have learned to treat her the same.  I have no business with her at all.

What do you think?  Should I file a complaint with the HOA?  or just let it go, and if I catch her again, then deal with it.  I could have pulled her big trash bag out of my can and threw it on her lawn, but I didn't.  So far I am leaning towards just letting it go this time, but if she wants to be a rude crummy neighbor, I'll have to change my tune.  What say you?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Re: Trashy Neighbor

[ Edited ]

What are the chances of you catching her again?  If you want it to stop, you'll have to confront her.... too bad you didn't do it this morning.  I would have been tempted to put her bag of trash by her front door.

The nerve of people never ceases to amaze. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Does she not have her own trash receptacle? If so, she should be notificed by the HOA that she needs to get one. Seems fairly simple to me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I would let it go this time and if she does it again say something in case this was just an one off. 

Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN @FrostyBabe1 I like the idea of the HOA investigating whether she has her own trash receptacle. Is there a limit on how much trash will be collected? Or is she not moving hers to the front on collection day? The HOA has clout and can force her to comply with the rules.

Honored Contributor

Time to get a Ring. 

Trusted Contributor

Just a suggestion.....maybe slip a note in her mailbox letting her know that you saw her put her trash in your receptable and did not appreciate it.  If she continues with her routine I would inform the HOA.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN     HOA should handle this.  How dare she toss her garbage in your can?  She doesn't want to pay for garbage pickup?  She has a  lot of nerve and I would not be intimidated by her -- that's what she wants.  Call HOA.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

What are the chances of you catching her again?  If you want it to stop, you'll have to confront her.... too bad you didn't do it this morning.  I would have been tempted to put her bag of trash by her front door.

The nerve of people never ceases to amaze. 

I know, I feel the same. 

And everyone who lives in this community has their own trash receptacle.  Her receptacle was sitting right at the curb in front of her home and it didn't appear to be over-filled, nor did her neighbors on either side of her.

Yes, I'm sorry I just didn't walk outside and confront her.  It's not my nature to confront a person who is basically a stranger to me.  I'll have to get bold in my old age!!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

I would notify the HOA if she does it again which I would expect that will happen and she has most likely done that several times before, you just happened to see her this time.