Esteemed Contributor

This year, new to the Olympics is surfing, skateboarding, speed climbing (which is, from what I understand is like rock wall climbing) and karate (which I thought was already an Olympic event).

Break dancing will be added to the Paris Olympics in 2024.

What would you like to see added to the Olympic games?

It can be real or imagined.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Olympic Events

[ Edited ]

Bowling: a demonstration sport Seoul 1988

Competitive Cheerleading:  provisional for Los Angeles 2028

Tug of War:  Last competed in 1904

Water Skiing:  Demonstration sport in 1972

Winter; Synchronized Ice Skating

(American Flag Football and Cricket are also being considered provisional for 2028.)

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to say I wish they would bring synchronized swimming back (now known as artistic swimming).  I remember when it was added in 84 and I was just mesmerized the whole time.  However, I just googled it and found out it is still an olympic sport.  I don't remember seeing it televised since the 84 games but I'm sure I missed it or there weren't any US swimmers/team that were medal contenders so the sport wasn't televised.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I'm kind of surprised that they have both indoor volleyball and beach volleyball.  I just don't get something like break dancing as a sport.  Maybe add tap dancing and/or ballet?

Esteemed Contributor

The international governing body of Dancesport (Competitive Ballroom Dancing) is recognized by the IOC even though no events are included in the Olympics (yet.)

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised Parkour isn't an Olympic sport yet.  I think I did read that it's under consideration for 2024 though.

Honored Contributor

Re: New Olympic Events

[ Edited ]

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I was going to say I wish they would bring synchronized swimming back (now known as artistic swimming).  I remember when it was added in 84 and I was just mesmerized the whole time.  However, I just googled it and found out it is still an olympic sport.  I don't remember seeing it televised since the 84 games but I'm sure I missed it or there weren't any US swimmers/team that were medal contenders so the sport wasn't televised.

My mom was mostly a long distant swimmer.  She once dreamed of slimming the channel. But she also did synchronized swimming and she taught me very early to tread water for longer periods of time.  I can still swim on my front and smoothly move over my back with breaking too much water. And can dive in and do the same, while raising both arms. .I took swimming through out high school and college. 

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm kind of surprised that they have both indoor volleyball and beach volleyball.  I just don't get something like break dancing as a sport.  Maybe add tap dancing and/or ballet?

Dancing requires athletic abilty.  The more you have, the better you are.  Anyone can dance just as anyone can swim.  But swimming is also a sport and dance should be too.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I'm surprised Parkour isn't an Olympic sport yet.  I think I did read that it's under consideration for 2024 though.

It should.  Most gymnasts can do it.  They also used to have mixed doubles (men and women) in gymnastics.  Obviously the Russians excelled in that.  They had it for a while and then stopped it.  A sport has to have world appeal to be in the Olympics.

Esteemed Contributor

I would like to see competitive sleeping as an event.

Who can sleep the longest?

Underwater basket weaving, both individual, and synchronized.

Let's use our imagination!

I'm sure we could come up with some fun things to "add" to the Olympics!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.