Trusted Contributor

I'd park in her driveway.

Honored Contributor

Interesting about garbage bags. We have a trash compactor  that we line with a bag used for this appliance.

But our recylable stuff goes in a different container, not bagged. And the same for our our garden stuff, which goes into a green container.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

This one made me think. I pay a flat rate every three months for three bins to be picked up weekly that contain the following: Garbage, Recycle, and Green Waste. My garbage can is never filled because I am a single woman so I perhaps put out two bags a week.

My next door neighbor and I tend to do back yard projects, that will overflow the existing green bin. Whenever this happens, I will ask them if I could borrow their bin to add to mine and sometimes they need to borrow mine.

It's never been a problem and we always clear it before using the others green bin. 

I don't agree with the confrontational method. People are crazy nowadays and you never know what will set them off. 

Since this is bothering you, I think that you handled it the correct way by going to your HOA.

I have to say that I am curious about what is she dumping in your bin. Is she just to lazy to bring out her own bin or something else. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I don't live in a HOA (thank goodness!), and I leave my garbage can out front all the time.

Why?

I would rather that someone throws their trash in my garbage can, than on the street.

If a neighbor used my garbage can for their trash?

Wouldn't bother me any.

Leaving trash cans in sight other than on pick-up day is against our city's regulations. In fact, you must put them out of sight. I am very appreciative of that regulation. @Anonymous032819 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@MrsSB wrote:

I think I'd go a different route and use this as a chance to perhaps be friendly with this neighbor. 

If her can was already full and you had room in yours, what's the big deal?  I'd tell her you noticed she needed to put something in your trash can and tell her it's fine.

In fact we offer our neighbor the use of ours if theirs is full.  We all pay the same amount but they have a family of 5 and there are just the two of us. 

Now if this woman doesn't have a can at all and does not pay for pick up ever, that would be another matter! I would not be pleased about that!   

the bag was leaking....she should not have put that bag in anyone's receptacle!!  except her own.....

Esteemed Contributor

HA!!!  good one....

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use to put my trashcan out to the curb on the night before pickup. Then I saw a man rummaging through mine and my neighbors' trashcans so I decided to put the trashcan out shortly before it gets picked up. That way there's little time to mess with my can or put something in it by a stranger.

Rummaging in someone's trash is not against the law in some localities.  The minute you set it out it's fair game @SilleeMee because it becomes "public property".  I put out the trash and hope the garbage collectors take it.  Where I live, though no one is supposed to remove your garbage except sanitation workers.

@gertrudecloset 

Yes, I know that. But I still don't like someone going into my trash and scattering it outside the can and causing littering (that's illegal) where I would be to blame. Plus that attracts animals to come around. No thanks.

Oh yeah, that too @SilleeMee .  The unwanted vermin...

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I don't live in a HOA (thank goodness!), and I leave my garbage can out front all the time.

Why?

I would rather that someone throws their trash in my garbage can, than on the street.

If a neighbor used my garbage can for their trash?

Wouldn't bother me any.

Leaving trash cans in sight other than on pick-up day is against our city's regulations. In fact, you must put them out of sight. I am very appreciative of that regulation. @Anonymous032819 

Mine too @suzyQ3 .  Has to be certain times of the day too, lest you get a $100.00 ticket.  Might be more now, but when it happened to me years ago, I vowed it wouldn't happen again.  That's just giving my locality money.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Valued Contributor

All you do is take the trash out of your bin . Then take it over to her house and ring the bell . When she answers , you hold up the bag, shake your head and say : “ never do that again “ ! Say nothing else and walk away !

Super Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@MrsSB wrote:

I think I'd go a different route and use this as a chance to perhaps be friendly with this neighbor. 

If her can was already full and you had room in yours, what's the big deal?  I'd tell her you noticed she needed to put something in your trash can and tell her it's fine.

In fact we offer our neighbor the use of ours if theirs is full.  We all pay the same amount but they have a family of 5 and there are just the two of us. 

Now if this woman doesn't have a can at all and does not pay for pick up ever, that would be another matter! I would not be pleased about that!   

the bag was leaking....she should not have put that bag in anyone's receptacle!!  except her own.....

Oh sorry, @nana59, I must have missed that part. I wouldn't be thrilled with someone's leaky trash bag in my clean trash can.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".