Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
It's funny reading the comments about how "hard" it is to lift heavy items around, up & down stairs, on & off trucks, etc. and that's why they tip. Don't you think these people know what they're signing up for when they take the job of a delivery driver? Come on! I'm not doubting it can be strenuous work, but they didn't apply to be a florist & than poof! had to deliver & install appliances/furniture! They took the job knowing the physical expectations!

I'm so over this expectation of tipping everyone for simply doing the job they are paid for.

And some are paid quite well as it is! Again, they agreed to the salary & job expectations upon hiring. Not my fault or responsibility to supplement their income!!

This is absurd.  Didn't the people who make your beds in hotels know they were signing up to vaccum your rugs and change your linen?  Part of the salary for these jobs just happens to come from tips.  If you're too cheap to tip, that's all good, however don't ask someone else why they should tip, like @Kachina624 did.  People tip because they feel it's the right thing to do.  Sounds like you wouldn't give the buffalo his nickel back @sometimesQVCaddict .  

Oh, your waitress too.  Go to a restaurant regularly and have the same waiter and expect to get good service.  I'll bet you'll tip when you're disappointed in that.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

Reading this thread was exhausting.

Honored Contributor

It's funny reading the comments about how "hard" it is to lift heavy items around, up & down stairs, on & off trucks, etc. and that's why they tip. Don't you think these people know what they're signing up for when they take the job of a delivery driver? Come on! I'm not doubting it can be strenuous work, but they didn't apply to be a florist & than poof! had to deliver & install appliances/furniture! They took the job knowing the physical expectations!

I'm so over this expectation of tipping everyone for simply doing the job they are paid for.

And some are paid quite well as it is! Again, they agreed to the salary & job expectations upon hiring. Not my fault or responsibility to supplement their income!!

@sometimesQVCaddict    Nobody is saying it is your fault or responsibility.

What an angry post.

Those like myself who like to tip-great.

You apparently do not like to tip-great.

It's not that important of a topic.

Yeesh already.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

This is absurd.  Didn't the people who make your beds in hotels know they were signing up to vaccum your rugs and change your linen?  Part of the salary for these jobs just happens to come from tips.  If you're too cheap to tip, that's all good, however don't ask someone else why they should tip, like @Kachina624 did.  People tip because they feel it's the right thing to do.  Sounds like you wouldn't give the buffalo his nickel back @sometimesQVCaddict .  

@gertrudecloset   OMG  LOL!!!

More like squeezing the nickel until the buffalo po*ps, as we use to say.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset   You're obviously mixing your apples and oranges. Room service in a hotel vs my new fridge being delivered and old broken one taken out by same people that the store I bought appliance of any sort offered me? "are we taking out the old one?".

Apples vs oranges

As I said in my post, if this wasn't a service to remove old when the new shows up then they should NOT offer or ask me.

Respected Contributor

$10 tip per delivery person is fair as long as it is on the main floor and out the door.  If they have to bring it up from the basement give them $20 per person.

Esteemed Contributor

In my post I said I would tip a server for good service. I was a waitress for 17 years in the good old days when you were good or you were fired.

I worked in very high end restaurants with a captain, matre di, etc.  You could not write an order down or you were fired, so you really had to be on your toes.  What i see today is sloppy service.

One waitress asked us if we needed anything else?  I said, utensils to eat with would be nice.

We had to check our tables to make sure everything filled, and clean.

I am commented now because yesterday, we went to an upscale brunch.  The food was great, buffett style. Now we go to this place every Mother's day and the servers bring champange, coffee, water, juice, etc.  They take away the used plates and utensil.

Yesterday because of lack of reg. help, they must have had subsitutes.  No one brought coffee, we had to get our own. No one took away dirty plates, etc.  We never saw a server at our table at all.

My son left a 20.00 tip.  I said why?  No one waited on us.  He said out of guilt.  I worked my **ss off for a tip like that bringing more that coffee,etc.  We had 5 course meals.

I could not believe not one server at any tables.

His money, but no one served anything.

Would you have left a tip?

Honored Contributor

No we do not tip everyone for good service.  Almost everywhere we go we are provided with a service but it is not customary to tip everyone who provides a service.  

However, I would put a a delivery person in the service industry and would tip them.  Delivery drivers do not make a lot of money.  You can go to Indeed.com, type in appliance delivery and see what employers are paying.  The salaries for my area are under $30,000.00 a year.   

This is a back breaking job and these guys work for beyond an 8 hour day.

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict everyone knows what they are signing up for when they take a job.  That doesn't mean you don't tip them.  

Honored Contributor

The federal minimum wage has nothing to do with contracts by the federal government and federal minimum wage is NOT different in every state.  The federal minimum wage is the same across the board.  Every state has a different STATE minimum wage.  

Federal minimum wage law supersedes state minimum wage laws where the federal rate is higher than the state one.

It means you shouldn't be paid any less than $7.25 an hour, no matter where you live. $7.25 is the federal minimum wage.

In April, 2021, a bill was signed to raise the minimum wage for federal employees to $15.00 as of March, 2022.  But again, this is different than the federal and state minimum wage laws.

I live in Ohio and our minimum wage is $9.30.