Regular Contributor

On Tuesday I am having a dryer arrive. The delivery people will take out the old dryer and replace and install the new dryer. Would you tip the delivery people. If so, how much.?  Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

I would give each person $10. 

Respected Contributor

I never tipped when my stuff was delivered.  Included in the I price I already paid is how  I figure it. 

Honored Contributor

@turtle52 wrote:

I would give each person $10. 

@turtle52 - yes, that's what I would tip also.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

if it is a very simple delivery without stairs, removal of old one, a connection (like washer), etc. then maybe $10 each.

But my delivery would be to my basement and removal, with the connection I would probably tip $20 each. 

Honored Contributor

Not knowing where you bought it from but here there is a delivery charge, there is a removal fee and there is a charge to have the new appliance installed.

So no,  I wouldn't be tipping them.

Trusted Contributor

I usually tip anyone carrying in something heavy like furniture or installing an appliance in my house. For what you describe, I'd tip $10 each person.  

I don't believe these guys get anything much out of the delivery charge. That charge benefits whoever sells the items to cover their costs to have it delivered. the guys who drive the truck and move the big things (like washers and dryers) in and out of the house and safely install it usually get hourly wages and any tip they pick up really makes a difference. 

In the amount of years the dryer will likely be in place working for you that $20--$10 each--for two men will hardly be felt or remembered. But it will be gratefully received by them and their families right now. 

Honored Contributor

It would depend on the circumstances but generally I would not tip for a delivery of that kind.

Honored Contributor

We tip most delivery and service people. 

Even though a delivery fee is included in the price, it goes to the store.

They are very appreciative.

Honored Contributor

Why tip? This is their job, take one out and leave the new one - no matter what the appliance is or piece of furniture. This thought doesn't even cross my mind ever. These people get paid to do this work, if the deal wasn't to remove the old piece, why would they offer this service? You don't think they're already getting paid to do this? I do - no monetary tipping here.

My BEST tip - please do not bump, scrape, scratch my 100+year old oak woodwork, here in my house or anywhere. This is my tip!