Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

The things I learn from this forum and end up researching.  It's no wonder there is confusion , at least for me about minimum wages.  

$7.25 is the Federal min wage and has been since 2009.

States can implement higher minimums and many but not all have very recently and others plan increases this year.  States can put additional rules in place:*$15.00 rate is for California employers with 26 or more employees. Employers in California with 25 or less employees have a minimum wage of $14.00 per hour.

Without going any further it looks like cost of living plays the biggest role in states decision.  Beats me how anyone can keep it all straight  😜

No bearing on tipping but interesting . 

Thank you, @mspatmac 

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gertrudecloset    As usual, you're off on a tangent about something of which you have no knowledge.  Its called "Federal Minimum Wage"  because it covers all eligible workers in the USA.  I'm not going to argue with you as you seem unable to comprehend what you read.

Knock it off @Kachina624 .  The minimum wages are different in every state.  If you weren't so blind sided you'd know that, grand puba.  Don't @me again anymore about this subject @Kachina624 .  Go look it up and come back and apologize, otherwise, I don't want to hear it.

You act like you lack common sense sometimes.  You know full well the minimum wage is more in the Eastern States than in the Southern States.

@gertrudecloset    You can apologize to me when you are able to discern the difference between State Minimum Wages and the Federal.  The Federal is the same in all 50 states.  Easy to Google it yourself.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

People who only get $7.25an hour for minimum wage job deserve that extra $10 tip if people want to give it to them.

STATE MINIMUM WAGE TIPPED WAGE  

Alabama$7.25$2.13More on AL

Mississippi$7.25$2.13More on MS

North Carolina$7.25$2.13

More on NC

South Carolina$7.25$2.13

More on SC

Tennessee$7.25$2.13More on TN
 Texas$7.25$2.13More on TX
 Utah$7.25$2.13

More on UT

Georgia$7.25$2.13

More on GA

Idaho$7.25$3.35More on ID

Maine$12.75$6.38More on ME
 Maryland$12.50$3.63More on MD
 Massachusetts$14.25$6.15More on MA
 Michigan$9.87$3.75More on MI
 Minnesota$10.33$10.33More on MN
 Missouri$11.15$5.58More on MO
 Montana$9.20$9.20More on MT
 Nebraska$9.00$2.13More on NE
 Nevada$10.50$10.50More on NV

https://minimumwage.com/in-your-state/

@gertrudecloset    Now genius, Google Federal Minimum Wage for all states.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Some of you are assuming these delivery persons are paid well and/or receive a portion of a delivery fee.

The lastest delivery we tipped $10 to each of the two persons.

If we had stairs, it would have been at least $20 per person.

Nobody has to tip but saying "I never was tipped for doing my job" really does not apply-unless you were a delivery person.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@joann1218  $10 to each person.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Knock it off @gertrudecloset , you always have to have the last word, don't you.

Just because someone is making minimum wage doesn't mean they "deserve" an extra tip.

@CelticCrafter .  Posters are balking about why tip.  Someone said if they get a $10 tip plus their wage they were getting "paid."  Well that is subjective.  It is subjective to where you live.  I'm not gonna sit around and be told to act dumb to help you look better.  My last word is because I'm trying to tell the truth on these forums and not look "good" for heart clicks.  I don't care about heart clicks.  Keep em.

Now, YOU CAN HAVE THE LAST WORD, cause I won't be responding to YOU.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
It's funny reading the comments about how "hard" it is to lift heavy items around, up & down stairs, on & off trucks, etc. and that's why they tip. Don't you think these people know what they're signing up for when they take the job of a delivery driver? Come on! I'm not doubting it can be strenuous work, but they didn't apply to be a florist & than poof! had to deliver & install appliances/furniture! They took the job knowing the physical expectations!

I'm so over this expectation of tipping everyone for simply doing the job they are paid for.

And some are paid quite well as it is! Again, they agreed to the salary & job expectations upon hiring. Not my fault or responsibility to supplement their income!!

This is absurd.  Didn't the people who make your beds in hotels know they were signing up to vaccum your rugs and change your linen?  Part of the salary for these jobs just happens to come from tips.  If you're too cheap to tip, that's all good, however don't ask someone else why they should tip, like @Kachina624 did.  People tip because they feel it's the right thing to do.  Sounds like you wouldn't give the buffalo his nickel back @sometimesQVCaddict .  

Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:
As I wrote, don't feel obligated to do something. But OP asked about an amount and folks have responded about how much they tip and why. Kindness doesn't cost anything....if tipping isn't something folks can or want to do, being kind to folks providing a service would also be gracious.

@kate2357 Good idea.  Some even mentioned their yearly salary as an excuse not to tip.  The point of talking the minimum wage was to state that depending on where you live they rely on those tips.

Esteemed Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

The things I learn from this forum and end up researching.  It's no wonder there is confusion , at least for me about minimum wages.  

$7.25 is the Federal min wage and has been since 2009.

States can implement higher minimums and many but not all have very recently and others plan increases this year.  States can put additional rules in place:*$15.00 rate is for California employers with 26 or more employees. Employers in California with 25 or less employees have a minimum wage of $14.00 per hour.

Without going any further it looks like cost of living plays the biggest role in states decision.  Beats me how anyone can keep it all straight  😜

No bearing on tipping but interesting . 

Exactly.  It does have bearing on tipping when one poster claims $10 per service is a lot of money as in "paid" @mspatmac .  You'd have to know what that person's salary is before you can claim that you know they don't need your tip.  That's where the minimum wage comes in.  Not every state is paying their workers what NJ pays their workers per hour.  

Further research about the minimum wage will give you all the reasons it was implemented including to make sure that people who won government contracts, pay the minimum wage set forth by the Government.  That was ONE of the primary reasons for implementing it.  Other reasons include to be transparent regarding racism and other matters.  There's history to everything.

Cheap and proud.  I don't aspire to be that.  I hope some read these forums and realize they should think about tipping delivery people who have a hard job getting large, heavy and obtuse items in your home.  While you stand by and watch.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Some of you are assuming these delivery persons are paid well and/or receive a portion of a delivery fee.

The lastest delivery we tipped $10 to each of the two persons.

If we had stairs, it would have been at least $20 per person.

Nobody has to tip but saying "I never was tipped for doing my job" really does not apply-unless you were a delivery person.

That was my point @Cakers3 .  That's why I mentioned the minimum wage.