Esteemed Contributor

I just got back from Sherwin Williams.  I bought some paint and supplies because I am going to paint one of the offices in our office condo.

I was just looking over the receipt and I got charged $3.29 total for three different "supply chain charges."  Each charge was 4% of each item - the paint, roller, and tool I bought.

What the heck?

Anyone else get a Supply Chain Charge from a retailer?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Re: Supply Chain Charge

[ Edited ]

oh geez not that I know of @Puppy Lips 

Just when you think that's it....we get hit with more.

I know suppliers and vendors have been hit with ridiculous shipping charges because of this issue.  They are going to pass it on to the consumer to try and recoup some of their losses.

I wouldn't doubt there are more things like this to come.

Honored Contributor

Optimistically, I'd prefer a temporary charge to a rise in the price which we know would never decrease even when the crisis passes. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Optimistically, I'd prefer a temporary charge to a rise in the price which we know would never decrease even when the crisis passes. 

@Kachina624 

I remember when they said the increase in the price of peanut butter would be temporary.

That was more than half a lifetime ago and the price still hasn't come down.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: Supply Chain Charge

[ Edited ]

Swadley's BBQ has an up-charge of $2.00 on any meal that includes brisket or $5 up-charge on 1 lb of sliced brisket. 

1 lb of brisket is $18 + $5 up-charge = $23 lb?

You can buy whole brisket at the meat market for $6 lb.

A brisket sandwich with 1 side plus drink is around $14 plus $2 up-charge = $16 to eat dinner for one person? 

I guess people don't mind paying that price to eat there since they are always packed.

It is suppose to be a temporary up-charge. They don't want to have to change their menu? They think the price will eventually go down. If it doesn't some places will probably go out of business.

Respected Contributor

I bought paint from Sherwin Williams in November and also paid a surcharge. I wasn't surprised, since I saw this on my local news. 

Honored Contributor

I stopped drinking beer during the (Not-So) Great Lockdown of 2020 and switched to Italian reds.  There was a particular Montepulciano d'Abruzzo I liked that was about $13 a bottle.  I'm frugal so I didn't buy it often.

Now that bottle is $20.

Why?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I bought paint from Sherwin Williams in November and also paid a surcharge. I wasn't surprised, since I saw this on my local news. 

@deeva So I guess they have been doing this for awhile.  It would have been nice if they told me ahead of time.  There may have been a sign up about it by the register that I missed, but I did not see anything.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Retailers have had to pay extremely high storage fees for those shipping containers which sat without moving for so long. So now their customers are having to pay for it.

Honored Contributor
There is also price gouging going on that has zero to do with supply chain issues. Anyone who doesn't believe that, well I don't know what to say.

Corporations always take full advantage.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"