Respected Contributor

@just bee  I recently heard someone explain why certain items are going to cost more. He gave the example of a bottle of wine. Forget the cost of the wine for a minute. The bottles and labels are extremely hard to get. When they are able to get them the cost has gone up which is passed on to the consumer.

Respected Contributor

Everything is going up in price.  At least SW's listed it separately on your receipt.  There are some things I don't understand the reason for the increase.  But, with companies now paying higher wages just to keep employees it may have nothing to do with supply chain.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like profiteering. Businesses are experiencing record profits. They're just trying to get away with higher prices while avoiding the blame.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

restaurants around my area have been adding surcharges to dishes that have crabmeat in them. it has happened before.

i know that some of the restaurants at the beach have a surcharge for takeout/curbside orders......anywhere from $2 - $5 i have seen......and no this is not a tip that goes to the person who brings it to you.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I 've ordered from other comapnies and have been charged a fee $3-$4 for " supply chain " issues or "covid" issue  . All these companies just pass the costs on rather than  loose money on their profits .

Respected Contributor

This was Fall 2021

WTSP10 : The CEO of Sherwin-Williams, the largest paint company in the U.S., warned investors in September the company was dealing with rising manufacturing costs due to waning availability of raw materials.

"The persistent and industry-wide raw material availability constraints and pricing inflation we have previously reported have worsened,” Sherwin-Williams Chief Executive John Morikis said. 

“We do not expect to see improved supply or lower raw material pricing in our fourth quarter as anticipated.”

A photo of a notice purportedly posted at the entrance of a Sherwin Williams store says the surcharge is “due to increased costs associated with transportation, freight and labor.”

A statement from the company confirms this, “We have announced a 4 percent surcharge effective September 20 through the end of the year.”

Companies like Sherwin-Williams are tacking on surcharges due to ongoing supply chain issues.

Trusted Contributor

I bought paint at SW two weeks ago and didn't get a supply chain charge on my receipt...but I do hate being charged $10 now for the color sample palettes

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21   Not necessarily.  Retailers have experienced big cost increases.  It used to cost about $1600. Pre-pandemic to ship one of those containers from Asia.  Now it's over $20,000, plus domestic costs for transportation are way up as are salaries and the cost of their goods. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips. Seems like greed is becoming the norm.  Our cable bill had a fee for these supposed fees, and, now our trash hauler has added $8 per quarter for the same reason.  I guess some people feel like it's a legal way to add needless fees.

Trusted Contributor

I think literally everything is being blamed on COVID, directly or indirectly, but that doesn't make higher prices any easier to bear. Many food products are going down in size and way up in price.... if they are going to cut the number of ounces in a package, then cut the price as well. Less for more doesn't get any sympathy for the companies from me, just sounds like they don't think shoppers know they are being taken advantage of.