Honored Contributor

Re: Submarines, elevators and bridges

@Oznell wrote:

@SilleeMee,  that Imogene Pass one you showed is the stuff of nightmares.

I still remember with a shudder, parts of the Pacific Coast Highway, snaking along high, high above the California coastline.  Gulp.  My mother had to avert her gaze from the edge the whole time, staring instead at the one nice solid cliff rising up from one side of the car.   The other side--  the abyss.  

@just bee,   if you are still around,  when you lived in Prescott, AZ,  did you make the drive up through Jerome (a ghost town clinging to the side of a mountain, for anyone here not familiar with that part of Arizona) very often, on the way to the red rocks and Sedona?   Even that stretch used to bother me...     

@Oznell 

Even at my advanced age, certain words still make my blood run cold.  Words like Dumbarton Bridge.

And Mingus Mountain.

Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!

(The mountain roads in Arizona were my introduction to mountain roads so they made an impression.)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, ditto, expressive @just bee !

Honored Contributor

We have the Delaware Memorial Bridges here and the bridge police routinely have to drive someone over who can't/won't drive over themself. Including truck drivers. You would think a big rig driver would be used to anything, but there are some who just can't/won't drive across those bridges. My Mom had a police scanner, and we had the bridge police radio on it and they would get multiple calls a day to drive someone across the bridge. In bad weather, the number of calls went way up, but even on a perfect day, lots of people would freak out at driving over the bridges.

I've done it forever and it never bothered me. I'd be more stressed letting someone else drive my car/truck over the bridge than drive over it myself. I get more stressed trying to figure out which toll booth to hit than driving over the bridge. Some are open, some are closed, some are Easy Pass only, some are cash only, and cars are going left, right, and everywhere trying to find the right lane.

Way, way back, my grandmother on my Dad's side was coming across the bridge when her steering wheel came off in her hands causing her a few moments of panic, but she got it back on and finished her trip.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Way, way back, my grandmother on my Dad's side was coming across the bridge when her steering wheel came off in her hands causing her a few moments of panic, but she got it back on and finished her trip.

@gardenman 

1950s Scared Frightened Brunette Woman Photograph by Vintage Images

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I can't take heights or looking over a high edge.

I like to fly, though.  However, in the mountains, the plane dives straight up and straight down when landing!

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

I've driven this part of interstate since I was 18.  I can't handle buildings or glass elevators.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@just bee 

I've driven this part of interstate since I was 18.  I can't handle buildings or glass elevators.

@ECBG 

scared-woman-3 | Midwest Christian Outreach, Inc

Respected Contributor

In 1988, my husband and I were driving back from NY to Savannah Ga. We decided to forgo the interstate and go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. When we were a good ways out over the bay all of a sudden traffic stopped. We sat in the middle of the bay  for about 2 hours. It turned out that there was an accident on the bridge. A truck driver went over the side and took out a portion of the guard rail. This was before cell phones and GPS. All I could think of was what if we had been in the tunnel. I am pretty sure I would have had a panic attack. I would never ever drive  this bridge/tunnel again. 

Honored Contributor

I share some of the same with many of you.  I don't like bridges, glass elevators, elevators on the outside of a skyscraper, glass walkways over a road, certain mountain driving, when the road goes around rather than through the mountains.  I would panic driving in Colorado, but was fine in Pennsylvania. I'm not crazy about flying but have s*ucked it up when needed.  My longest flight was Chicago to Munich, about 9.5/10 hrs., and that was pushing it.  DH and I want to do a Holy Land trip in a couple years and that flight would be a few more hours than Munich.  I get nervous thinking about it.   On that trip to Munich, our tour group visited the Olympic park and pool (where Mark Sptiz won all his medals). The problem was that from the parking area to the park, we had to walk on a bridge over the autobahn. It was like a two lane road but open all around.  I kid you not, I followed the white line down the center of the road and kept my head down and focused the whole time each way.  

We've been on one cruise, not sure I'd ever do it again. 

MRI's don't bother me.  When I've had them done, the tech asked what kind of music I enjoyed and they played it to help me relax.  But then I would start tapping or moving my foot and the tech would remind me to be still. 😆 

Crazy as it sounds, with my weight loss I said I would like to celebrate the accomplishment by going zip lining.  I almost did it, but chickened out. It looks like so much fun, just can't get myself up to the platform. 🫣

Honored Contributor

Speaking of bridges....

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is way too long for my comfort. Then there's the bridge that crosses the Potomac between Maryland and Washington DC and it is a terrible experience driving up that thing.  I don't know the name of it, but what I do know is the state charges for that terror and it should be the other way around. LOL 😉