Honored Contributor

Re: Submarines, elevators and bridges

@SilleeMee wrote:

Imogene Pass near Telluride, Colorado. More people have fallen off the road to their deaths than any other mountain road in Colorado. I was on it once and never again.

You can't see the bottom but it's a few thousand feet from the road straight down. No guard rails, no nothing to keep your vehicle from going over the edge.

They Call Her Imogene. Traversing Colorado's Classic High-Mountain Pass |  DrivingLine

@SilleeMee 

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll be avoiding that one, too.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Might as well add the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge in New Mexico.

Rio Grande Gorge Bridge Is Most Beautiful Bridge In New Mexico

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Nope, not a fan of drawbridges either.

Come to think of it, I'm not really a fan of bridges...period.

@geezerette 

I hear ya.

Some I'll cross, others I avoid.

Honored Contributor

If I know the bridge or elevator or ship or machine is safe, I don't get anxiety. Crossing an unsound bridge or getting in an old rusty elevator would freak me out, and I doubt I'd be willing to do it unless the alternative would be worse. In general, as long as everything is well maintained and well run I don't get scared. I could just as easily fall over on a sidewalk.

On a vacation in Glacier National Park, I remember being driven along some pretty scary-appearing roads through the peaks. I leaned away from the window sometimes, though I kept watching because everything was so awe-inspiringly beautiful. My leaning away made no logical sense since I was a passenger in an SUV and if it crashed through the flimsy-looking guardrail and launched over the edge, leaning away would accomplish nothing. But I still did it instinctively.

It's sort of like how sometimes you lean to one side while watching a tv show to try to see something that is just outside the shot.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Nope, not a fan of drawbridges either.

Come to think of it, I'm not really a fan of bridges...period.

@geezerette 

I hear ya.

Some I'll cross, others I avoid.

@just bee 

Years ago there was one around here that was a wooden (not covered) single lane bridge.  

The river it crossed wasn't real wide nor was the bridge too high, but that one lane part was a horror for me.  Who goes first?  What to do when you're halfway across and a big dump truck comes barreling from the opposite way?  There was "bridge etiquette", but I noticed the bigger the vehicle the less forgiving they tended to be.

Like Robin Hood and Little John.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Imogene Pass near Telluride, Colorado. More people have fallen off the road to their deaths than any other mountain road in Colorado. I was on it once and never again.

You can't see the bottom but it's a few thousand feet from the road straight down. No guard rails, no nothing to keep your vehicle from going over the edge.

They Call Her Imogene. Traversing Colorado's Classic High-Mountain Pass |  DrivingLine

@SilleeMee 

Classic.  There are (or used to be) several of those types of roads along various mountains in the west.  You could look down and see all the cars that had gone down the side.  Especially after Friday and Saturday nights.😆

Reminds me of the old train ride up to Silverton.  I swear the tracks were inches from the edge in some spots.  Beautiful, though.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee 

Classic.  There are (or used to be) several of those types of roads along various mountains in the west.  You could look down and see all the cars that had gone down the side.  Especially after Friday and Saturday nights.😆

Reminds me of the old train ride up to Silverton.  I swear the tracks were inches from the edge in some spots.  Beautiful, though.

@geezerette 

Hey, thanks for helping me scratch that one off my list.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If I know the bridge or elevator or ship or machine is safe, I don't get anxiety. Crossing an unsound bridge or getting in an old rusty elevator would freak me out, and I doubt I'd be willing to do it unless the alternative would be worse. In general, as long as everything is well maintained and well run I don't get scared. I could just as easily fall over on a sidewalk.

On a vacation in Glacier National Park, I remember being driven along some pretty scary-appearing roads through the peaks. I leaned away from the window sometimes, though I kept watching because everything was so awe-inspiringly beautiful. My leaning away made no logical sense since I was a passenger in an SUV and if it crashed through the flimsy-looking guardrail and launched over the edge, leaning away would accomplish nothing. But I still did it instinctively.

It's sort of like how sometimes you lean to one side while watching a tv show to try to see something that is just outside the shot.

@Porcelain    The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier is a boulevard compared to some of the old mining roads in Colorado.  At least THERE IS A GUARDRAIL.

When I was at Glacier in the 80s, they were working to bring up a car and a body, driven by a drunk that had gone over the edge.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain    The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier is a boulevard compared to some of the old mining roads in Colorado.  At least THERE IS A GUARDRAIL.

When I was at Glacier in the 80s, they were working to bring up a car and a body, driven by a drunk that had gone over the edge.

Yeeeks!!! I don't think I'd last long as a miner.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee,  that Imogene Pass one you showed is the stuff of nightmares.

I still remember with a shudder, parts of the Pacific Coast Highway, snaking along high, high above the California coastline.  Gulp.  My mother had to avert her gaze from the edge the whole time, staring instead at the one nice solid cliff rising up from one side of the car.   The other side--  the abyss.  

@just bee,   if you are still around,  when you lived in Prescott, AZ,  did you make the drive up through Jerome (a ghost town clinging to the side of a mountain, for anyone here not familiar with that part of Arizona) very often, on the way to the red rocks and Sedona?   Even that stretch used to bother me...