Trusted Contributor

Re: Submarines, elevators and bridges

I do have claustrophobia, since young adulthood, it's been an occasional problem.

I avoid situations when I can.  I didn't go into the Blue Grotto in Italy during a vacation trip.  I avoided a submarine tour in New England one year.  Things like that.

I had an almost embarrassing incident during a trip through an artificial heart in Philadelphia ( a huge facsimile that tourists walk through as if they are the blood flowing through the chambers).  I had forgotten my problem, and it was crowded, and I felt a sense of panic, but luckily I got out before I caused a minor scene.

I haven't had to have a regular MRI yet, which would, of course, be awful for me, but I did have a bad episode a year ago when I had to have a "nuclear stress test" at the cardiologist's .  It was described as an open test, but I didn't realize the camera used would be so big, the size of a big suitcase, and it lowered onto your chest area, AND it would cruise around slowly for a full 10 minutes.  I couldn't do it.

I had to go back after being prescribed Xanax (three pills over the course of the whole test).  I also wore a blindfold, and listened to music on earphones so I didn't have to hear the creaking of the machine.  That worked, I had no problem since I was sort of drugged out of my mind.

It's a troublesome phobia to have.

Honored Contributor

I used to work in a newly built high rise building.

The first few months the elevators seemed to have a mind of their own. Whoever was the inspector to check the elevators had to be paid off or maybe he wasn't paid off.  More often than not, you had to jump out of the elevator because it was three feet above the ground or pull yourself up to get into the elevator. It was crazy. Here you are in heels and a skirt and you had to crawl on the floor of the elevator to jump down 3 feet. Or try to crawl up into the elevator. I am 5'1". Three feet was tough sometimes especially if you were carrying reports etc.

On occasion you would have a sudden drop. I thought I was on the Tower of Terror at Walt Disney World.

But can't say that I am uncomfortable getting into an elevator.

My Dad's Father was an engineer. He designed bridges. When my Dad was about 12 years old, his Dad took him up to the top of the George Washington Bridge, when it was being built. I can't image climbing the suspension towers. 

My Dad took us on trips to visit suspension bridges on our summer vacations. 

When I go over bridges I like to appreciate what went into building the bridge.

One time I toured a sub. Boy the guys who live on a sub are special breed of person. No room and no privacy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am claustrophobic, and I am afraid of heights, so any enclosed space or tall buildings make me anxious! I will do them, but I am very very anxious..Bridges, tunnels, very scary..

Elevators make me nervous because I always worry about getting stuck in one, glass elevators are very cool, but boy very scary for me.

Bridges are scary for me, but not too terrible, because you can drive across pretty quickly... 

I never was afraid of any of those things when I was younger, this all happened in the last 15 years or so with me.

Crowds make me anxious as well, like being stuck in the middle of a big big crowd makes me break out in a sweat....Again, never used to bother me only in the last 15 years or so has this been a problem for me.....

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't like heights.  If I'm in a skyscraper, I stay away from the windows or don't look out of them.  The glass elevator at the mall is hard for me.  When flying, I take an aisle seat.  I soldier through unavoidable height situations but if I can avoid something, I do.  I also have a sunflower phobia that I have had since I was 3 or 4.  

Same for me.

Respected Contributor

I have to take a little Valium before I have a head and neck MRI every six months....it is so close I can't blink my eyes without touching it with my eyelashes. I absolutely can't wait until it's over. I also can't wait until elevator doors open. I have never thought of myself of being claustrophobic but the MRI and elevators are not my friends. I have taken a couple of cruises but seasickness was a bigger issue than close spaces, my brother was in the navy and stationed on a submarine several times, I have been inside one on a tour and there is no possible way I could ever do that. Even a battleship I toured was way too small for me...

Respected Contributor

Bridges...big sprawling overpass kind of things. That's the only one for me. I'm not scared of them myself but something in my body sure is...and it certainly let's me know. LOL!

Trusted Contributor

I am very claustrophobic.  I can't sleep zipped in a sleeping bag - it can only be zipped at the feet so I don't feel so closed in.

I could visit a submarine but would not be able to live on one.  Seeing how small the crews beds are freaks me out.  

I can handle an elevator - maybe if I was stuck in one I would feel different.

I don't mind driving over bridges, however, I have a fear anytime I am stopped in traffic under one that it will collapse.  That is engraned from pictures I say after a California earthquake when I was little and the people killed when an overpass collapsed.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal 

I have been in many enclosed machines and elevators, and not uncomfortable in any of them. I assume your are talking about mental type discomfort, thus my above reply.

Now if your are talking about physical discomfort? I have had plenty of that. I cannot sleep in any lying down position because of the lumbar discs missing in my back, thus! Any procedure that requires lying prone, ranges from discomfort to downright pain. Most recent pain was during my Heart Catheterization(just my back), which took over 45 minutes.

Will leave it at that.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I have a real fear of high places, tight places, bridges and MRIs. I've tried to recall what triggered these fears and am at a loss. I just know that they make me very nervous. Always need Valium for the MRIs or I would panic halfway through.

I think of Mel Brooks' comedy, "High Anxiety," whenever I am on a high place. It helps to laugh about it.

Valued Contributor

When I have a MRI my Dr. gives me something for Anxiety, also a wet washcloth over the eyes helps alot.

I don't like long bridges, like the Mackinac Bridge. For a fee

they provide a service to drive your vehicle across the bridge, also when it is extremely windy they close the bridge.