Respected Contributor

Re: Stephen Colbert's New Show

I so agree with the statement that because someone is a good comedian, they are not necessarily good talk show hosts. I loved the basic nonsense of some of the past later show hosts - they were completely nuts and completely funny. Jack Paar could drive you nuts on occasion but he sure was good - same for others in his era. Missed Johnny Carson something fierce when he left. Am not in to any of the current late show hosts - not at all.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

On his old show he was playing a character and now he is not.  I haven't seen it yet but that is probably the difference. 

This, exactly. But I'm liking it so far. He's brought some elements of the old show, like with the opening night segment with Donald Trump and the Oreos. I laughed and laughed at that.

Respected Contributor

ok raises her cane and says "there will never be another Johnny Carson!" of course I remember people older than me saying that about Jack Parr & Steve Allen when Carson came on.

I set the timer on my t.v. and just about always fall asleep before any late night show is over as I get up early the next a.m. I have been flipping between the Jimmys and like a little about both . The one segment I HATE on Kimmel' s show is the 'unecessary bleeping' not at all funny IMO.

I do think Colbert is funny and smart and will get better after the initial nervousness is over and he makes it his own. I did stay awake for his interview with Joe Biden and politics aside thought it showed what loving human men they both are--and the world needs that.

I was a fan of David Letterman's before he was on t.v. (hometown boy) . When he first started out though I was torn between thinking he was hilarious and obnoxious  !

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
Well tonight's show should be very interesting with the VPOTUS.
Lord help me stay awake !

@Lila Belle

It was sad and moving. 

I found myself in tears by the end of the interview.  I don't know if he should be a candidate, but he sure is a wonderful father.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Lila Belle

It was sad and moving. 

I found myself in tears by the end of the interview.  I don't know if he should be a candidate, but he sure is a wonderful father.

We got to see them as a family and I greatly admire their closeness. Heart

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Lila Belle

It was sad and moving. 

This was one of the most palpable interviews I have ever watched. I thought I would never stop crying both of them touched me so deeply.  Heart

Regular Contributor

Watched the first night and last night's Biden interview and think he does a great job with interesting questions and actually listens and responds with sometimes funny comments and sometimes serious ones. The Biden interview is an instant classic. I agree that the Oreo skit was hilarious and an original take on Trump. I think the true Colbert seems intelligent, empathetic,clever and just zany enough without being over the top and hope his show is a success.

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't ANYONE going to answer my and another posters question as to what do you all mean Colbert played a CHARACTER on his other show....

I never seen that show....and apparently neither did the other poster...and we would like someone to tell us what we missed..

I wasn't too impressed with the first two shows....but have to say last night with Biden was very touching....and it did make me cry...

Colbert did a great job interviewing him...the two of them interacted quite well...

Honored Contributor

@circles wrote:

Isn't ANYONE going to answer my and another posters question as to what do you all mean Colbert played a CHARACTER on his other show....

I never seen that show....and apparently neither did the other poster...and we would like someone to tell us what we missed..

I wasn't too impressed with the first two shows....but have to say last night with Biden was very touching....and it did make me cry...

Colbert did a great job interviewing him...the two of them interacted quite well...

He portrayed a conservative pundit a la Bill O'Reilly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@circles wrote:

Sorry, honey.

Here:

http://www.cc.com/shows/the-colbert-report

Stephen's awesome show, "The Colbert Report", came on late night right after Jon's awesome "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart".

Most of their stuff was/is dry-wry-sly humor, which I adore, but also know that not everyone gets or appreciates.

Both shows were on Comedy Central, but you can still catch episodes online at Comedy Central, YouTube, and Hulu.

Hope you enjoy it!  Smiley Happy

P.S.

This applies to everyone, BTW:

Instead of waiting for Q board posters to quickly answer a question that does not require their opinion or experience, it's much easier and faster to just look stuff up on Google.

Just because someone (of any age) posts on the Q boards doesn't make their information any better than other Internet posters.

We can't expect others to answer our questions - especially in a timely (to us) manner - if at all.

We can only rely on ourselves.