Respected Contributor

Re: Stephen Colbert's New Show

I watched the first night & thought the Oreo bit went on too long.  He seemed uncomfortable, but I suppose that's to be expected.  I usually watch Kimmel, only because they often do some very funny "man on the street" bits.  Bottom line for me is that they are all mediocre.  There'll never be another Johnny Carson.

Respected Contributor

I watched until the first commercial and thought it was absolutely boring.  Turned it off.

Respected Contributor

IMHO, I never thought he was funny.  Won't watch his new show.

Respected Contributor

Colbert will be good.  Once he gets into the groove.

Honored Contributor

@guatmum wrote:

I've never liked a new talk show host until they've been on a while.  I think all of them need some time to adjust.  I would never write someone off based on the first couple of shows or the first couple of weeks.  I liked Stephen Colbert on his other show and I've enjoyed the interviews I've seen him do.  I plan to give him a few months.

Unfortunately, many people nowadays need to be immediately "impressed".

Esteemed Contributor

Could someone tell me what "character" Colbert played...I have never seen him on the show he was on before...and I keep reading or hearing he is out of character...

I personally do not like his new show...I have watched the last two nights...I will try to stay awake for tonight...hoping he gets better...

For right now he is boring...unfunny....dull...and plain stupid acting...childish like something you would see and hear in grade school....

Trusted Contributor

I've always liked the "real" Stephen Colbert.  Never liked his alter ego in the Colbert Report.  But, I'm just not feeling it with this new show.

I do think it's going to take some time, and am willing to wait and see.  

I grew up watching Johnny Carson, and he was the master.  Tolerated the show, once in a while when Leno took it over.  Never liked David Letterman's shows, or Conan O'Brien.  And, I'm not fond of Jimmy Fallon's show either.  I guess I'm hard to please, lol.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i remember watching jimmy fallon's first night and he was so terrible that i wanted to turn it off.  very nervous and out of sorts.  given time he has really grown into his duties and is imo very, very entertaining.

i think colbert should be given a chance to calm down and get his bearings.  he may well become very good at this job and give fallon a run for his money.  he was hired because they thought he could do it, so i'm guessing he probably can and just needs to settle in.  i'm sure there is a lot of pressure. i wish him well.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
Well tonight's show should be very interesting with the VPOTUS.
Lord help me stay awake !

@Lila Belle

It was sad and moving. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Super Contributor

Something is really off with Colbert on his new show so far. I watched Stephen Colbert for years on the Colbert Report. Only once in a while did he seem "spastic", and he usually was spot on with any bits he did. His interviews with his guests were very good. I have watched all three nights of this new "Late Show", and it is just horrible. Stephen NOW seems like he is acting. He seems frenetic, spastic wooden, and not at all like someone who is no longer playing a character. He is still very much playing some kind of character. I just don't know who or what. His skits are dumb, and audience members constantly chanting "Stephen, Stephen" take you right back to the Colbert Report, except this new show is nowhere near as smart or funny as the old show. His band is not very good either, and really, he does not need a band at all. I realize people need to settle into new roles. Unfortunately, I think CBS is grasping the reigns a little too tightly on this one. If they wanted someone more like Dave, they should have hired a typical talk show host and not a well-known satirist and comedian combined. He just comes off as looking like he has a lot he wants to say in his own words, but he doesn't want to disappoint dad (Les Moonves) or something. As of now, the timer is being deleted on my DVR for this show. If I hear has has gotten better, I will tune back in. And by the way, by "better", I do not mean he has to be like he was on the Colbert Report. I have seen him do some very serious interviews, and he is extraordinary. My problem with the show at the moment is he is unrecognizable to me in any real or characterized way. I don't know who or what I am watching, but it is are boring as heck.