Respected Contributor

Re: Stephen Colbert's New Show

[ Edited ]

Did he dance on his other show and what's up with those leg kicks?  That guy from his band that plays the wind keyboard; wow he's got long legs.  What's up with his leg kicks too and that mugging into the camera.    Even the intro shows a cartoon-like Colbert dancing on a rooftop......was he known as a fan of dancing, maybe he should be on Dancing with the Stars.   Hopefully his show will include interviews of substance.  Also, his questions to the vp seem much too intrusive.  

Trusted Contributor

Gosh, all of you seem to be struggling and straining to like him or the new show. I just don't understand why you don't just move on to something else, or is his show that necessary in your life?

Like a badly written book, I wouldn't "work' on trying to like or tolerate it. Too much to do and so little time.

I hope each of you can find something more enjoyable to watch.

Respected Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

Gosh, all of you seem to be struggling and straining to like him or the new show. I just don't understand why you don't just move on to something else, or is his show that necessary in your life?

Like a badly written book, I wouldn't "work' on trying to like or tolerate it. Too much to do and so little time.

I hope each of you can find something more enjoyable to watch.

??  Wow!  I never watched him before but even if I had, I am certainly entitled to my impressions of this new show.  I dvr'd the Letterman Show every night and he did take over that show.   

Esteemed Contributor

Big Sister wrote:

IMHO, I never thought he was funny.  Won't watch his new show.

That's what makes him the perfect replacement for Letterman.

I don't watch any of the late nites at all.

After all of Jimmy Fallon's bits, impersonations and singing he and  his writers and are just kiss ups the show is boring.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

On his old show he was playing a character and now he is not.  I haven't seen it yet but that is probably the difference. 

I never saw his prior show, what character is everyone talking about??

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I really loved Stephen when he was on The Colbert Report so I was looking forward to his new show.  I have watched the past two nights but I'm not impressed.  I can't put my finger on what it is but he doesn't seem as funny. I wonder if he still has the same writers?  I'm hoping it gets better.

Has anyone else noticed a difference?

I'm on day 3 and I completely agree with you.

What I think is happening is that he has too many people talking to him and too many "data points" in his head about numbers and appealing to certain segments and advertising revenue.

1.  He keeps speaking to an audience who doesn't know who he is.  How many nights is he going to explain who he is? How many times is he going to say that he played a character on Comedy Central and now he is himself before he launches into political comedy pieces?  We get it.  Shut up.  Move on.  If they didn't know who you were before, why does it matter now?  Just do your thing and let them like you.

2.  He is very nervous.  I think in a few weeks/months he will calm down, be more natural and let his humor happen a little more organically and a little less canned.  This opening monologue where he's standing is very forced and he doesn't seem to know what to do with himself standing there.  He should not stand there if he's not comfortable with it.  The heck with the required format.  Do your own show.  His best, most honest moment was on night 2 when he was explaining how the first show almost didn't air.  It was funny and natural and most of all NOT OVERLY SCRIPTED.

In contrast, you have the really bad Football segment that just didn't work.  It was supposed to be funny but everyone came off stiff and uncomfortable.

3.  There seems to be a problem with getting good guests.  They announced 9 months ago that this show would be on.  I don't understand why they couldn't book anyone relevant with mass appeal and with something to say.  His best guest so far was Joe Biden.  It was smart, funny, touching and, again, honest.  He was actually very comfortable with Biden and it showed.

4.  Musical guests - he announces he has Toby Keith on as the musical guest and the audience barely makes a sound.  Do people not know who Toby Keith is?  LOL  It was so jarring to me.  The clapping man needs to up his game.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Unfortunately good comedians don't necessarily make good talk show hosts.  I haven't watched any 'new' talk shows/hosts for years now.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Colbert is a local Jersey guy, and very likable, very funny, and a valuable contributing member in local society.

Time will tell if this is his niche, but if it's not, he'll find his footing and be wonderful in something else.

I LOVED the "Is he for real or not" nature of his previous character, and faithful watchers know that he was about as good with improvisation as written comedy.

I'm not ready to give up on his current slot just yet.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Colbert is a local Jersey guy, and very likable, very funny, and a valuable contributing member in local society.

Time will tell if this is his niche, but if it's not, he'll find his footing and be wonderful in something else.

I LOVED the "Is he for real or not" nature of his previous character, and faithful watchers know that he was about as good with improvisation as written comedy.

I'm not ready to give up on his current slot just yet.

I agree. I'm not ready to give up on him because I really do like his sense of humor.  He did seem more relaxed on his old show but he did it for over ten years.  He will settle into this new show I'm sure.  He is a very smart guy and he could do the show w/o a script.  I wonder if being on a network show instead of cable makes a difference? 

Respected Contributor

I get up early for work, so I recorded his first show on Tuesday.  I finally got around to watching it last evening, and I must say I was not at all impressed.  It seems like just another talk show.......not at all entertaining.

I'm used to seeing some antics during these late night shows, I guess.  I so loved watching Craig Ferguson when he was on (with the skeleton and the horse......Oh my).  I think I will continue to watch Jimmy Kimmel on Friday nights.  I love it when they do stuff out on the streets of L.A.

Laura loves cats!