Respected Contributor

Re: Seemingly Effortless ways to keep the Extra Pounds Off

I cannot eat breakfast. If I do I'm pigging out all day. For me I need to be excited about exercise. Buy cute workout clothes, try a new activity, see myself the way I want to look and think like I'm already there. Even buying magazines and following people on social media who are kicking behind and in shape. For me it's all about calories in and out and being very motivated any way I can find the motivation. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I used to subscribe to the motto "everything in moderation."  However, I fairly recently came to realize that I don't do well with everything and therefore, I just can't have it.  There are things that I want and if they are in the house and I eat 1, then I eat more and more and more.  I can't just have 1 piece of bite size candy.  I want 5 pieces and if the bag is in the house, I will go for more.

I have to totally eliminate trigger foods altogether.  If the junk isn't in the house, after a few days I don't want it anymore and don't think about it.  But I have to stay off it.  Because if I go somewhere and have something sweet, it starts me on a bender.    

This is me exactly...very little will power and if the triggers are there I'm done...best to not have it in the house, which is hard with teenagers and a hubby who can eat whatever he wantsSmiley Embarassed   At my age now, early 50's, I have to really be super diligent with food; I exercise every day, and just biked 16 miles over the weekend, it doesn't matter, it's the FOOD...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

I agree with all nine of JBKO's tips! 

The one I'll add is sort of an add-on to eating an early dinner -

Don't snack before bedtime. (Or ideally at all after dinner.) 

But I guess the bottom line is the simple but kind of boring truth that we must take in fewer calories than we need in order to lose weight - or take in what we need to maintain our weight. Read that the U.K. is considering adding to nutrition labels the amount of exercise needed to burn off the calories in some foods. It is rather daunting to see charts that say we have to walk, for example, several miles to work off a bag of chips, etc.! Don't get me wrong - I think exercise is vital to staying healthy. But I am not convinced that it is key to losing weight. I think it helps, but the main goal should be to simply eat more wisely and mindfully and put down the fork or spoon when we feel satisfied.  

Honored Contributor

I began to walk a couple years ago. I walk 1 mile in the morn, 1 mile in the later afternoon. It has really helped curb my appetite, which has led to losing weight. I use an umbrella during my walks to keep the sun off of me

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The real secret is to count calories in....and move more. 

Yes.  It's basic science.  But it works.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Move More", "Exercise!"

Nope.

More studies are coming out that you can't

out-exercise a bad incorrect diet. 

Scientific American, February 2017

The Exercise Paradox

(You can Google 'exercise paradox pdf' to get the free article)

It basically states...all animals have the same energy expenditure (EE).

All hummingbirds have the same EE, all cats have the same EE, 

all elephants have the same EE....and as humans, we are no different.

A study was done yrs ago w/ a tribe in Africa. Men were hunters, walking/running for hours while women were gathers & at base camp. 

Researchers thought the # of calories burned for the men would be through the roof...but nope.

The research found men burned 2500 calories & women 1900 calories.

As a women, I sit on the couch all day & burn...1900 calories.

I could run a marathon the next day & burn...1900 calories.

The extra energy needed for most strenuous movement or stress is taken away from the building of brain tissue, bones, blood, endocrine system, stopping of periods, etc.  Anyone who has overtrained knows exactly what I'm taking about.  

This study ran in Scientific American...a very pretentious magazine.  

And this study is turning many educated, movement/exercise eggheads on their ear.  Everything we know about energy expenditure is being questioned.  

There are many videos & discussion groups about this subject.  

So all the FitBit, calories counting on machines...not correct.

Just enforces the adage of, 'Movement, not a lot. Plants, mostly.'

I'm sure more to come about this subject in the future.

In the meantime, if you want to lose weight...change the diet. Period. 

ETA: This study is not meant to say you can be totally sedentary...or 'get out of gym class' pass.  Human bodies were meant to move.  There are many wonderful physical & mental benefits for daily movement. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen anyone mention one of the most basic ideas to ensure you don't overeat at mealtime. Slow down! Chew your food to savor the taste and put your fork down between bites. 

I live in a desert climate, so adequate water consumption is a must. So is exercise. Humans were not meant to be sedentary-no matter what some opinion du jour article may tell you. Simply moving the body a bit every day. It's good for the metabolism. Good for the muscles and joints. Good for the soul.

Each person needs to find they right fuel for their own body. Humans are omnivores. A diet that is rigidly restrictive is not a solution to a healthy body. Moderation is key. We need some protein and fat in our diet.  Sugar should be considered a rare treat.  

Honored Contributor

Eating small portions throughout the day instead of large meals, drinking sufficient amounts of water, eating low fat high fiber foods, all help to lose weight, keep it off, and keep the energy level in balance, no highs and lows.

Honored Contributor

Get 30 to 45 minutes minimum of daily exercise--walking is great exercise

Avoid sugar

Try to eat more dark green/orange/yellow vegetables

avoid too many simple carbs

sleep 7 to 8 hours a night (which I don't do)

get enough protein--most women don't

limit alcohol intake--

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Karie2022 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I used to subscribe to the motto "everything in moderation."  However, I fairly recently came to realize that I don't do well with everything and therefore, I just can't have it.  There are things that I want and if they are in the house and I eat 1, then I eat more and more and more.  I can't just have 1 piece of bite size candy.  I want 5 pieces and if the bag is in the house, I will go for more.

I have to totally eliminate trigger foods altogether.  If the junk isn't in the house, after a few days I don't want it anymore and don't think about it.  But I have to stay off it.  Because if I go somewhere and have something sweet, it starts me on a bender.    

This is me exactly...very little will power and if the triggers are there I'm done...best to not have it in the house, which is hard with teenagers and a hubby who can eat whatever he wantsSmiley Embarassed   At my age now, early 50's, I have to really be super diligent with food; I exercise every day, and just biked 16 miles over the weekend, it doesn't matter, it's the FOOD...

I hear and read time and time again that you cannot out exercise a bad diet. 

I recently joined a gym and I would rather stick skewers in my ears than go but I make myself get there.  No lie I hate every minute of the cardio.  I would do the weight machines 10 times over and be happy but I hate, hate, hate cardio.   2 days a week I do 30 minutes on a treadmill and weights for my core.  3 days a week I do 10 minutes of cardio and weights for full body. 

I have found that when I starting doing this heavier exercising (I was always just a walker), I am not as hungry.  I go to the gym after work and when I get home, I'm not all that hungry so I am eating lighter which is a win.