Honored Contributor

Re: Seemingly Effortless ways to keep the Extra Pounds Off

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I like your list except for two items:  breakfast does not help you lose weight and too much protein leads to medical disease whereas there are not instances of protein deficiency.  Cut out the dairy, oil, and salt....which is easy once you are use to it.  Vegans tend to weigh less because they have banished these items from their food choices as well as meat in most cases. I would also like to add eat a lot of fruits and veggies (nutritionally dense food adding bulk without the calories) .  I could add IF will definitely help you lose weight, but it requires some effort in the beginning.  Each of us has our own opinions regarding this list, I respect everyone's opinion.

@phoenixbrd

On point.

I agree...everyone has their own opinions,

but ManohMan...so many people are misinformed.  

Posts/lists like this just...stun me.  

Marketing has done an amazing job to confuse

the Public by keeping them fat, sick & unhealthy.  

The answer is so simple...shouldn't be this difficult. 

It's all about the food. The right food.

Plant based food low in calorie density.

Lots of whole plant based carbohydrates, low in fat & low in protein.

Simple. Clean. Inexpensive. 

Calm the mind when you eliminate the stimulants of salt/oil/sugar.

Honored Contributor

I don't do most of those things but have managed to maintain my weight for years. 

IMHO, it is all about exercise, nutrient dense foods, Less sodium, sugar and bad fats. Everything in moderation. MOVE! Sitting is the new smoking, as they like to say. You must give your body the tools it needs to run efficiently and effectively! There are no short cuts, no magical pills.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JBKO wrote:
It can be so hard to stay in shape. Doing the "diet and exercise" thing can really take a lot of devotion. The worst is when you feel like you've put in so much work only to find out that you've remained at the same weight or God forbid put on some more pounds. Here are a list of 8 or so habits that seem effortless but help you in the battle of the bulge. Please add any more that you feel will be helpful. Or provide your own experience when it com s to following these tips.

1.Eat breakfast
2.Eat a lot of protein
3.Drink water
4.Talk walks whenever possible
5.Weigh yourself daily
6.Keep a food journal
7.Eat an early dinner
8.Chew your food well
9. Sleep 6-8 hours

I disagree with 1 and 2. Some people gain weight when they eat breakfast and eat lots of protein. It's complicated. 

For me, it's about building muscle....lift weights. When you have more muscle then you burn calories just sitting.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I like your list except for two items:  breakfast does not help you lose weight and too much protein leads to medical disease whereas there are not instances of protein deficiency.  Cut out the dairy, oil, and salt....which is easy once you are use to it.  Vegans tend to weigh less because they have banished these items from their food choices as well as meat in most cases. I would also like to add eat a lot of fruits and veggies (nutritionally dense food adding bulk without the calories) .  I could add IF will definitely help you lose weight, but it requires some effort in the beginning.  Each of us has our own opinions regarding this list, I respect everyone's opinion.

I think people tend to eat too much fruit.  And many eat lots of dried fruit.   Fruit is full of sugar and calories. Raises blood sugar....gets stored as fat fast!    A small amount is ok.....but that is all a person needs.  Vegetables are a healthier alternative.

Honored Contributor

A little lighthearted post here. 

IMG_0515.JPG

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

A little lighthearted post here. 

IMG_0515.JPG

@Sounds good to me @gidgetgh, except for one thing.....

..... I really don't like kale. Do you think we substitute spinach salad? I think that's fairly equivalent to kale.  :-)

Frequent Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Be very very careful about drinking TOO much water.  Both my sister and a bridge friend recently learned this the hard way.   Both ended up in ICU with life threatening low sodium counts.   The ER doctors told both of them that too much water intake can be just as dangerous as not enough.   Too much washes out good things that your body needs like sodium in their case.  Both were avid water drinkers and had been for decades.  It finally caught up with them.

Find a balance.

I completely agree about being careful with water. I emphasized water in my post because I live in the desert and here it is so dry it is hard to stay hydrated. In fact, most of us are chronically dehydrated.  Even so, I drink water throughout the day, not all at once, and never more than a gallon a day. I think the dry climate where I am, with humidity often less than 10% makes a difference in staying hydrated than if I lived in say Florida.  YMMV

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Be very very careful about drinking TOO much water.  Both my sister and a bridge friend recently learned this the hard way.   Both ended up in ICU with life threatening low sodium counts.   The ER doctors told both of them that too much water intake can be just as dangerous as not enough.   Too much washes out good things that your body needs like sodium in their case.  Both were avid water drinkers and had been for decades.  It finally caught up with them.

Find a balance.

The same thing happened to me years ago.  I drank too much water and it made me sick.  I was following some formula related to your weight and it was too much.  

I started feeling slightly nauseous all the time. I stopped drinking that way but it took a while to get back to normal.

Super Contributor

I try to eat as healthy as possible. Managing my weight has been a lifelong struggle, but now, at age sixty and with limited mobility, it is as much about overall health as it is about weight management. These are some of my personal guidelines:

Drink 10 - 12 glasses of water or other non-caffeinated calorie free beverages per day

Limit my caffeine intake to one 10 - 12 oz cup of coffee per day. 

Minimum of 4 cups of raw, non-starchy vegetables per day.

Only non-fat or very low fat dairy for protein.

Plant based proteins, such as nuts or low fat nut butters.

Occasionally consume very small portions of chicken breast, turkey breast, venison, or seafood. (I don't usually do this more often than twice in three weeks).

No added salt . . . Ever, on anything.*

No added sugar or artificial sweetener . . . Ever, on anything.**

Whole grains.

No butter or oil.*

Occasional treats.

I eat very little fruit because, with the exception of bananas and most berries, I become very hungry 20 minutes after eating most fruits.

I've been eating this way for so long that it's second nature by now. It's far from a perfect diet, but not too bad.

*I cook with a little sea salt, and a small amount of canola oil if needed.

*I never add sweetener to anything, but I do eat things that have been artificially sweetened.

I think my biggest downfall is my diet ginger ale habit. Just can't kick it !

Hugs.

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:
It can be so hard to stay in shape. Doing the "diet and exercise" thing can really take a lot of devotion. The worst is when you feel like you've put in so much work only to find out that you've remained at the same weight or God forbid put on some more pounds. Here are a list of 8 or so habits that seem effortless but help you in the battle of the bulge. Please add any more that you feel will be helpful. Or provide your own experience when it com s to following these tips.

1.Eat breakfast
2.Eat a lot of protein
3.Drink water
4.Talk walks whenever possible
5.Weigh yourself daily
6.Keep a food journal
7.Eat an early dinner
8.Chew your food well
9. Sleep 6-8 hours

@JBKOYou still need "good" carbs.  Too much protein is not good.

I disagree with weighing yourself daily; once a week is enough.  Our weight fluctuates up a few pounds at times and that can be discouraging.  Same if the weight hasn't dropped.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh