Honored Contributor

These Games are a disaster waiting to happen, and it's started already. If I'd bought plane tickets for a vacation/Olympics combo trip I'd be thinking seriously of getting a refund - strictly from a personal safety POV and Third World sanitation POV. Ick. These people are not ready. It doesn't sound like they will ever be ready. The world does not need to be their guinea pigs.

http://m.ksbw.com/money/rio-gets-a-federal-bailout-36-days-before-olympics/40301728?src=appis

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

It's really sad. I feel bad for those who work/train so hard. It's probably time to build a permanent venue in a place built especially for safety and access, if that is possible.

I think this might be a good idea, even though I always enjoyed the different venues over the years and seeing how each country puts its' own flair on the games. It just costs so much money and is so wasteful to continue doing it how they do it now. Maybe instead they could have it in one place like you said and different countries still host it each time, putting their flair and culture and customs into the opening ceremonies, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I feel sad for all of the athletes who have worked so very hard to make it to the Olympics--and now have reservations about the safety of the venue. Hopefully, this is more media hype and everything will go off without any problems! I sure hope so.

no,, I really don't think it is. You can get the truth by talking to the locals.

Esteemed Contributor

The 2020 Summer Olympics will be held in Tokyo, Japan.

I have no plans to go to that one either.

Too crowded!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I feel it is just a waste of money, for countries, they build the places,and they just sit there and rust,and fall apart.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I attended the 1984 LA Olympics. The city already had a lot of infrastructure in place because they'd hosted the 1932 Olympics. They already had purpose-built arenas and stadiums scattered around that were fairly easily adapted for many events. Very little had to be constructed, so most of the money spend went into transportation and security. They even used campus housing for the athletes, so no Olympic Village needed to be built.

IMO, only those cities that don't have to construct half of everything needed in order to host, and who have standard Western sanitation and law enforcement (i.e. working plumbing and cops who are not routinely bribed for everything) and stable finances should even be considered as a host city.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The 2020 Summer Olympics will be held in Tokyo, Japan.

I have no plans to go to that one either.

Too crowded!!!!!

yeah no desire for me to go there. I still wish I would have gone to the London and/or Athens Olympics. Still kicking myself over not going!

Respected Contributor

Did these conditions exist when the committee was deciding on a location? If so, why was it chosen ?

Honored Contributor

I still often think about them slaughtering the endangered cheetah at the opening ceremony.   Makes me sick; and no, I could not be paid enough to attend.  ('Goes to show us' that not all countries have our (US's) best interests in mind.)  I'm guessing that many of our athletes were 'turned off' by that pre-planned move.) Allegedly, Imo

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

Did these conditions exist when the committee was deciding on a location? If so, why was it chosen ?

I know! It's like loading an elephant onto a small canoe...hellloooOO .