Respected Contributor

Re: Real Estate Question ...

@SilleeMee wrote:

After a house is sold, how do you find out who bought it?

Check the website for the county assessor's office for property look-ups.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 

You're right about the impossibility of  "asking for cash-only buyers".

That's a fool's errand.  Few sellers of the "average house" will find  many of those  when the market for the property is the "average buyer".

Note that when a buyer  can pay all-cash, that buyer knows his  competitive leverage advantage, so  the seller might not get an offer as high as he would like or was expecting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently the OP didn't get the answer she wanted, she hasn't been back.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Apparently the OP didn't get the answer she wanted, she hasn't been back.

I hate it when that happens...so frustrating after all the efforts have been put forth then the OP never returns and it leaves us hanging.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@ROMARY 

Yes, of course, to all your points. 

That's the way any real estate transaction works (or should work).  Seller should have or request or insist on receiving  financial info and ALL terms of the offer in writing from any or all prospective purchasers before making a decision to sell to any particular party.

LOL, I've never had a deal, buy or sell, that worked that way. The broker/agent should be handling all that. Plus the agreement to sell is usually made before the inspection, which could entail give-backs/a reduced price by the seller. The adjustments are made at closing per agreement with buyer and seller through agent.

Bidding situations, in which multiple offers come in (whether below or above asking), are handled orally, at least in my experience. The agent is working quickly, going back and forth between bidders and seller. It's done by phone. My last transaction involved some email, but I don't even think there were texts. Mainly oral, by phone.

The only way this "insist on" business applies is if it's a sale by the owner with no broker involved. Then, of course, the seller needs all the data, but the seller should be conferring with a real estate attorney along the way and present him or her with all the documentation. 

Respected Contributor

Contingencies (final loan approval and inspections, for example) written into a contract can include any number of items that the parties can agree to.

.  Any repairs requested as a result of inspections can be negotiated between the parties.  Only after all contingencies are satisfied is a contract considered final, and if anyone wants to change the game after that, this would require voluntary  cooperation of the other party, which might not be forthcoming

(Some buyers and sellers get along great throughout the whole process.  Others can be VERY hard-nosed.)

I do know that in some states, it's normal to start off with verbal offers flying back and forth, but any verbal agreements made as a result of those are not particularly binding.

There's no way to  verbally spell out all  terms of a contract to buy and sell anything and expect it to stick.

In Virginia, where I practiced, all offers must be presented to sellers  even if they're only verbal, but no seller in his right mind would  commit 100 percent  to accepting offers unless they're in writing.

Respected Contributor

"Oral" means spoken words.

"Written" means words in writing.

"Verbal" means oral or written words.

Property transaction rules, laws, and practices vary from state to state. What applies in one location may not apply a few miles away.

Esteemed Contributor

The listing agent, and the agent representing the buyer both know who is purchasing the home. Whether they can or will tell you that information is up to them. But yes, they know. 

Super Contributor

You can go to your state or county Assessors website and do a Property Search...But that will only tell you the new owner of the property....after the property is actually sold..not in the pending stage..not sure how you can find out who is in pending status as that could change..

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

In Illinois, there are no verbal offers.  They're made on paper and the potential buyers' names are on the offer.    

That's not public information.   The seller is free to accept or reject the offer.  

@Bri369 

There isn't in GA either, I worked for our State Board of Realtors for 17 years.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.