Respected Contributor

Covid has been hard enough on individuals in retirement communities and care centers from a social aspect alone.  Wearing hearing aids with masks is a tricky business for the physically adept but it is challenging not to lose those tiny ear contraption s.  I have heard from multiple individuals how they are being lost by many.  Given  their great expense, has anyone tried these different hearing aids advertised for $100 or so that fit in ear, etc.  Does anyone have any advice to help hearing impaired not break bank?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

My husband wears hearing aids and glasses so this was an issue for him.  There are masks that don't fit over the top of the ears.  There are also mask extenders (basically a piece of wide elastic with buttons sewn on the ends) that can be used with a regular mask.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Hearing Aid Advice

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom wrote:

Covid has been hard enough on individuals in retirement communities and care centers from a social aspect alone.  Wearing hearing aids with masks is a tricky business for the physically adept but it is challenging not to lose those tiny ear contraption s.  I have heard from multiple individuals how they are being lost by many.  Given  their great expense, has anyone tried these different hearing aids advertised for $100 or so that fit in ear, etc.  Does anyone have any advice to help hearing impaired not break bank?  Thanks.

This is a BIG problem for me.  I'm always double checking, to make sure my aids are secure.  I wait to get in the car to take my mask off.  That way, if the aid comes with it, I can still find it rather than it being who knows where in a parking lot. 

As for the cheap amplifiers, you get what you pay for.  They are not hearing aids, they just make everything sound louder and will never do what an appropriately fitted hearing aid, prescribed by an audiologist, can do.  Properly fitted aids will amplify where needed and also supress certain noise, adjust hearing focus, etc.  I'm sorry to tell you, the price sucks but it's part of aging and hearing loss. My aids were expensive, but I would be lost without them.  Some people are content with aids purchased through Costco.  Be advised that they are less expensive but are only fitted by a hearing aid technician which is a far cry from getting an exact prescription from a Dr. of Audiology.  Who knows, maybe when my DH retires, Costco will be our only option.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I wear glasses and hearing aids, and this is a huge problem!  I agree with the advice in the previous post. I never take my mask off outside; I wait until I'm back in my car or indoors. 

Trusted Contributor

I agree, wait till you get in the car and then take off the mask, carefully.  Yes, hearing aids are very expensive and I had to buy mine from Costco since I cannot afford to go elsewhere.  I am lucky because they serve the purpose and it is nice to again be a part of conversations.  They do a one hour hearing test to determine the degree of hearing loss.  Maybe someday Medicare will help with the cost - well I can dream can't I lol.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the warning--I hadn't thought about waiting to take my mask off till I got in the car. I'm in PT 3x a week and ready to take the mask off the minute I hit the outside. I'll take this advice.

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

I agree, wait till you get in the car and then take off the mask, carefully.  Yes, hearing aids are very expensive and I had to buy mine from Costco since I cannot afford to go elsewhere.  I am lucky because they serve the purpose and it is nice to again be a part of conversations.  They do a one hour hearing test to determine the degree of hearing loss.  Maybe someday Medicare will help with the cost - well I can dream can't I lol.

@chlema, my husband has had Costco hearing aids and very pricey ones from an audiologist clinic.  No difference except the price.  

Respected Contributor

One more thing for seniors to remember IF they are allowed out of apartments.  The issue is particularly bad for those with dexterity issues or slight memory issues.  MIL has had harder time with this being kept distancing from others (As are many others). 

Any other hints on hearing aids.

Honored Contributor
I have those “tiny contraptions” in my ears, as do quite a few of my friends. Yes, we have to be careful putting on the mask and taking it off.

I doubt any $100 device can be favorably compared with the $6000 hearing aids.
Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@chlema  We aren’t using Medicare yet, so I might not have the terminology right, but I believe there is one supplement that had a hearing aid provision.  We’ve already decided that it’s the one we’re going to choose when the time comes.