Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about issues after drinking...

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogswrote:

If anyone is interested in replying.....I know it is a personal subject.

My step daughter had a drinking problem and went thru rehab and is back home, working, etc.  She mentioned to me today that she has been craving sugar, chocolate, anything sweet.  She thinks it is related to the drinking problem she had....does anyone know if this might be true?  

She is also having a lot of achey joints....she does not know where this pain is coming from, but she has put on some weight, that might be the issue.

thanks.

@Mom2Dogs I need to sincerely apologize to you. I thought I read it to be your daughter in law when it's your step-daughter. I am so sorry. Sometimes I just can't get it right! Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

I married into a family with alcohol problems. And as they aged things got pretty bad. I never saw an alcoholic up close and personal before. It got to the point that he could no longer have access to alcohol because he was in a nursing home. And all he wanted was candy. Even before he was placed in the nursing home - all he wanted to do was eat candy. 

In the nursing home, they placed him on a feeding tube because he wouldn't eat anything except candy. 

I can't help but wonder if your step daughter's diet was not the best, maybe she is having trouble with her joints because she needs a balanced diet. I know by watching my FIL when he was drinking, he ate very little and poorly because he spent his money on alcohol. That was his priority. Not a varied and balanced diet.

It is one tough problem to deal with. 

Respected Contributor

I would think that the counselors in rehab would have told her to expect sugar cravings. I don't drink (a drug I take for chronic health iissue potentiates the effects of alcohol), but I have a good friend who successfully completed a hospital alcoholism program and she definitely craves sugar and often talks about it. 

Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that there are some alternatives to AA.  My dad always struggled with the religious aspectsof 12-step programs. 

I’m also surprised that the rehab facility did not talk about sugar cravings.

@hckynut mentioned earlier how hard it is to stay sober from alcohol.  It’s almost impossible to eat out without having to face beer displays.  The commercials pop up on so many tv shows, especially sports:/

Good luck to your stepdaughter.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer. @ikat. You have my sympathy.  Alcohol and now drugs ruin families and destroy peoples' lives.  I came from a non-drinking family and ended up with a husband and son who were alcoholics.  Both were in rehab multiple times but it never seemed to click.  My husband had an accident in 1978 which may have been alcohol induced...we'll never know.  He was cleaning a shotgun home alone, which went off and through his foot.  Ultimately he had to have both legs amputated.  He was an outdoorsman so it was hard on him.

My son was living with me in 2006, when he collapsed and died in our front yard as he was getting the mail.  It was as a result of alcohol abuse according to the autopsy.  He was 37 years old and my only child.

I've had more than my share of heartache from alcohol and so admire alcoholics who can kick the habit, become sober and stay that way.  It's the spouses, children and other family members who also share a huge burden,

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Leiloni 

@lkat I forgot to say, congrats to your husband for 29 yrs of sobriety! And, to you Ikat, you stayed & helped him, others may have asked for a divorce & fled, in other words, you took the high road! Your husband is very blessed to have you as his wife! GOD bless you both.

@Leiloni.  I know you probably weren't thinking when you wrote this but please don't infer that those who divorced alcoholics took the "low road".  Sometimes it's the smartest choice or best for the spouse for many reasons.  Don't forget that alcoholism often goes hand in hand with physical and verbal abuse.  It can also cause unemployment and family financial disaster.  There are many situations, some very tragic that call for difficult decisions.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I am so sorry for the heartache you've had to endure.  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi.  Thanks Di.  Many have had burdens to bear.   Sounds like you've had your share too.  It's part of life, isn't it?  As they say, "What doesn't kill you, will make you strong".

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@Leiloni 

@lkat I forgot to say, congrats to your husband for 29 yrs of sobriety! And, to you Ikat, you stayed & helped him, others may have asked for a divorce & fled, in other words, you took the high road! Your husband is very blessed to have you as his wife! GOD bless you both.

@Leiloni.  I know you probably weren't thinking when you wrote this but please don't infer that those who divorced alcoholics took the "low road".  Sometimes it's the smartest choice or best for the spouse for many reasons.  Don't forget that alcoholism often goes hand in hand with physical and verbal abuse.  It can also cause unemployment and family financial disaster.  There are many situations, some very tragic that call for difficult decisions.

@Kachina624 Absolutely not! I would never infer that folks that divorced alcoholics were taking the "low road" if I offended you or anyone else I am sorry, that was not my intention, thank you Kachina624 for giving me the benefit of the doubt so to speak. I wanted to compliment a poster but no way did I want to add insult to injury, especially with a subject matter that I know more about than I'd like to. Alcoholism can bring on verbal, physical & financial abuse & if it can't be worked out what else can one do, that doesn't mean anyone is taking the "low road". If that's the way I came off my apologies & thanks for bringing it to my attention before I made a handful or more of enemies.Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624wrote:

@catwhisperer@. @ikat. You have my sympathy.  Alcohol and now drugs ruin families and destroy peoples' lives.  I came from a non-drinking family and ended up with a husband and son who were alcoholics.  Both were in rehab multiple times but it never seemed to click.  My husband had an accident in 1978 which may have been alcohol induced...we'll never know.  He was cleaning a shotgun home alone, which went off and through his foot.  Ultimately he had to have both legs amputated.  He was an outdoorsman so it was hard on him.

My son was living with me in 2006, when he collapsed and died in our front yard as he was getting the mail.  It was as a result of alcohol abuse according to the autopsy.  He was 37 years old and my only child.

I've had more than my share of heartache from alcohol and so admire alcoholics who can kick the habit, become sober and stay that way.  It's the spouses, children and other family members who also share a huge burden,

@Kachina624 I just read your post. OMG, this is so sad & I am so very, very sorry about all that you have lost, especially your beloved son. I can't begin to imagine what this is like, and I can't say I know how you feel, I don't. All I know is that your post has brought huge tears to my eyes, it is one of the saddest posts I have read since I've been on here. May GOD bless you with an abundance of love, light, & strength each & every day. I will always keep you in my prayers & in my thoughts. Heart