Honored Contributor

Re: Question about issues after drinking...

@Kachina624 I read your post and I’m so sorry for your loss. DH and I have to attend Al-Anon classes to learn how to do deal with an alcoholic. We’ve had to learn a lot of great information on dealing with our selves. I would be lying if a said I didn’t live in fear. God bless all of our families and our loved ones who need help. Kachina624 I admire your strength and @Mom2Dogs you and your DH aren’t alone in this fight. 

Honored Contributor

My brother was a sober alcoholic and he was never without a can of Coke or Pepsi in his hand.

Honored Contributor

I just want to say thank you to all that responded to my question.

It is a personal subject and appreciate those that shared with me, and especially those that have lost loved ones...my heart goes out to you!

I told my dh today to no longer giver his dd advice, she never follows it and always, seriously I mean always makes the wrong decision, and then he feels miserable because of her decision making, her issues are affecting him emotionally.

The latest thing was taking a job with less hours and losing her benefits!!  She is in training for this new job but had an interview with another office job today.

She is unsettled in her housing, again....has no plans to stay long in the place she will be moving into once she cleans it (must be out of current housing in 2 weeks)....I guess it is not great, don't know, we have not seen it, but the price was right.  Renting in the area is expensive and hard to come by.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000wrote:

This is a MEDICAL matter.  She and you need to talk to her doctor, rather than someone on this site.

I disagree @Cats3000

There is much more than medical to alcoholism.  Relationships are affected, a person's job can be affected, that person's community can be affected.  It can include drunk driving.

Talking about it with others can be very helpful.

Valued Contributor

It is very common and expected in some rehab centers. Some won't let folks consume sugary things. As long as she isn't overdoing it some sweets are better than alcohol. Strawberries and dark chocolate would be better choices. The aches and pains are part of withdrawal and will get better in a few weeks. Exercise, even walking, will help with all of it.

Honored Contributor

@wildlifewitch....she detoxed in July of 2017, could the aches and pains be coming on now?

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   I am having my 18th AA birthday this week.  It's common to want sugar or carbs when you have consumed them liberally as a alcoholic.  She may be trading one carb for another.    Most meetings are filled with smokers, pop and coffee drinkers.  As for the pain, More than likely she doesn't eat well and could be low on vitamins.  Vitamin D levels or Magnesium could be her culprit.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogswrote:

@wildlifewitch....she detoxed in July of 2017, could the aches and pains be coming on now?

@Mom2Dogs

People who have medical or mental problems often self medicate with drugs or alcohol.  If she's having aches and pains I think she should see her doctor.  I wish you all the best, not easy to deal with all of that.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagoochCongrats to you!!

And you are correct she does not eat well.  I sent a lot of good food home with her yestereday, I hope she eats it!

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch.  Happy birthday to you!  May you have many more.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment