Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT FLORIDA AND COVID 19

[ Edited ]

I think FL, GA, and SC have done a good job. NY, NJ, and MA have done a terrible job. We all have out own thoughts and opinions on the virus which we are entitled to. No need to judge or criticize others. 

Esteemed Contributor

Please remember that Florida has 22 million residents and always a large number of non-residents!

Honored Contributor

I have no clue about Florida's testing, but I do know that many areas of the country are still lacking in testing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday, I hope that you are relatively young and very healthy. But others, even some of any age, are exercising THEIR freedom to continue not contracting the virus, which makes many people direly ill.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ccassaday, I hope that you are relatively young and very healthy. But others, even some of any age, are exercising THEIR freedom to continue not contracting the virus, which makes many people direly ill.

I am actually high risk with  auto immune disease so I make the decision to stay home. Everyone has the right to make the decision that is best for them. My argument is we are not a nanny state. Give people reccomendatioms and info and let them make the choice they think is best for them.

Esteemed Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Her is the latest Florida dashboard for the data from 5/16/2020 for all new Covid-19 cases in Florida. As a state our numbers are back up to just about the peak of the pandemic. 5/18/2020 is about 2 weeks since Florida started to open up. I am staying in isolation. I don't mind at all. I feel sorry for those that have to work or have lost their jobs. 

Florida Dashboard.PNG

It should never be about how many cases. It should always be about hospitalizations to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. That is what was sold to everyone to sell the lockdowns. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The spike in cases at times is also due to increased testing and they are concentrating there testing in certain areas. Like jails, meat plants, nursing homes. So they are catching cases that already existed. They are doing bulk testing in these areas. The more testing the quicker you can isolate someone also.

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday Are you a Florida resident?

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

The spike in cases at times is also due to increased testing and they are concentrating there testing in certain areas. Like jails, meat plants, nursing homes. So they are catching cases that already existed. They are doing bulk testing in these areas. The more testing the quicker you can isolate someone also.

@ccassaday, without specific data, you nor I, can say the cause for a specific reason for a spike in reported cases might be or might not be.  

And for the record, it isn't just about hospitalizations.  As anyone in public health will talk about it, it is the percentage of hospitalizations.  For public record they will report total number of hospitalizations, but the experts look at percentage and more data related to hospitalizations to determine impact and spread.  But to know the hospitalization percentage you have to have testing and know the total numbers of tests.  Rarely do people rely on raw numbers in an of itself.   So just knowing how many are in the hospital doesn't tell you much when trying to gain control of an outbreak of this virus.

But since this thread made me curious, I started do a little reading about Florida.  There is an article in the South Florida Sun Sentinel by Cindy Goodman published April 13 that states that there is no order in the state of Florida to test all nursing home residents and staff.  Here is more of the article:

"the state has not issued an order saying every resident and worker must be tested, which currently is about 177,000 residents and nearly 300,000 staff members. The only mandate, issued Sunday, is that if state workers show up at a facility, testing of staff is not voluntary at that facility.
But the only facilities that the state has visited so far are those that have shown signs of COVID-19 in the residence.

Andrew Weisman, chief executive of Nu Vision Management, owner of six nursing homes in Broward County, cast doubt on the feasibility of testing everyone in every home any time soon. Weisman said he has incurred the expense and used a private company, and still has tested only a fraction of his residents and staff.

He has signed up with the health department and is waiting for the agency to come out and test at three of his centers. “We can’t get them here fast enough. We want and need these tests,” Weisman said. “The only way to beat the virus is to know who has it.”

According to the most recent figures released Tuesday, about 3,400 residents and staff members of long-term care facilities in Florida are infected with the new coronavirus, and 745 residents or workers have died.
RELATED: DeSantis wants more testing at nursing homes »
On Tuesday, the Florida Department of Health began asking long-term care facilities to report how many workers they employ and how many have been tested for COVID-19 since April 11. Also on Tuesday, the health department announced a new email address for long-term care facilities to sign up for testing.

The slow ramp-up of testing at long-term care facilities has led some facilities to use private labs, rather than waiting for Florida health officials to show up.

For two months, administrators at nursing homes and assisted living facilities across the state have been asking state officials to test their staff and residents to make sure that the deadly coronavirus wasn’t penetrating their facilities from staff who were showing no symptoms. But state health officials focused only on testing at homes that already had outbreaks of the virus.

At multiple news briefings, DeSantis has emphasized his desire to get more testing in long-term care facilities.
“Allowing the virus to spread in an environment like a long-term care facility is hugely problematic and we are intent on pulling all the levers we can to stop that from happening,” DeSantis said during a news briefing on Monday.
Last week, the state debuted a mobile unit that will go to homes and process results in 45 minutes. DeSantis said he eventually would like more mobile units.

Kristen Knapp, a spokesperson for the Florida Health Care Association, which represents nursing homes, believes the state has a long way to go to get everyone who works or lives in Florida’s long-term care facilities tested — but doesn’t really know for sure, nor has she seen a definitive plan to make that happen.

“I’m really interested in knowing where we are to date,” Knapp said. “Testing helps us make clinical decisions and staffing decisions. It’s a key component of managing the threat of this virus.”

The Associated Press reported more than 27,000 residents and staff have died from outbreaks of the virus at the nation’s nursing homes and long-term care facilities, according to a tally based on state health departments and media reports. That accounts for about a third of all 80,000 deaths in the U.S. that have been attributed to the virus.

In Florida, much like the rest of the country, nursing home operators have said the lack of testing kits has made it challenging to stop the virus from entering their facilities because they haven’t been able to identity silent spreaders not showing symptoms.

Scott Lipman COO of Marrinson Senior Care Residences, owner of Manor Pines Convalescent Center in Wilton Manors, questioned why the testing focus is only happening now.

“They never offered to test here,” Lipman said. His company hired a private lab to get residents and workers tested after an outbreak occurred. Since mid-April, Manor Pines conducted 1,000 tests of residents and staff at a cost of $80,000, to detect the virus which has infected 57 residents and 28 staff members.

“The problem is once you start testing, you can’t stop," Lipman said. “The results are only good for the day you took the test. If the results are positive it’s an ongoing process until you reach negative and feel comfortable."

Weisman, of NuVision Management, believes the state should quickly buy more rapid tests and start using them at nursing homes. For now, health officials are using mostly tests that take a day or two to get results.
“It’s a lot of buildings for them to cover," he said. "They are doing the best job they can, but they need to put the tests in our hands and let us do them. We’re motivated.”
A major challenge for the state has been the number of facilities that need to be tested.
Florida has more than 3,800 long-term care facilities, and testing has been conducted in 239 of them so far. DeSantis said Florida has 50 teams of National Guard and local health officials going out to nursing homes and assisted-living facilities to swab residents and send specimens to labs.

Miami Jewish Health, which operates independent, assisted living and skilled nursing facilities on its campus, detailed its extensive process for getting residents tested during a Tuesday discussion with state health officials.
“We have completed 450 tests on our campus in partnership with city, state and local testing entities,” said Shaun Corbett, chief medical director of Miami Jewish Health. “We understand the rationale behind testing: Identify positive and negative residents and separate them from each other. It’s about preventing transmission and saving lives.”

According to Miami Jewish Health’s website, more than 1,200 physicians, nurses, caregivers and support staff serve over 10,000 clients a year. Thus far, 56 residents and 38 staff have tested positive.

Corbett said the process of testing, isolating, retesting and communicating with families, staff and residents has taken two months, and still, not all staff has been tested. Corbett said he has learned testing is only one component. Results can come back at all hours on any day of the week, and facilities must have a plan in place to react.

Knapp of the Florida Health Care Association said her association is grateful for the testing Florida health officials are doing, but her members want more. “It’s a step in the right direction,” she said.

Cindy Krischer Goodman
South Florida Sun Sentinel
Contact

Sounds like they are trying to ramp things up, but unless you know the specifics of the age break down of the ages for positive tests, the test positivity rate, hospitalization rate, fatality ratio, and age break down for fatality ratio you don't have enough information to say what the situation is on the ground in any state. 

So without specific information from the Florida department of health, hard to say what is accounting for the number of reported cases.  

In our state, they are testing all nurising homes and staff.  So far, there is are very few that are testing positive according to the data and information released during the daily updates.   But that can change on a dime, which is why testing is so important.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I am actually high risk with  auto immune disease so I make the decision to stay home. Everyone has the right to make the decision that is best for them. My argument is we are not a nanny state. Give people reccomendatioms and info and let them make the choice they think is best for them.

@ccassaday, I guess the onus is on some individuals. For example, if I were to be invited to a social gathering at which I knew there not be adequate precaution, then it is on me if I get sick.

But here's the problem, which I thought everyone knows by now. If I contract the virus, unless I never engaged with family, friends, or strangers after that silly action on my part, then guess what -- I'm endangering everybody I am in contact with.