Trusted Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT FLORIDA AND COVID 19

[ Edited ]

I live in South Florida and am still in lockdown, 9 weeks now.  We closed down early.

I think Florida has done an excellent job with the virus.

My city and it's residents have taken this very seriously.  We have isolated, all wear masks to the stores and followed the guidelines.  We are following the rules so that we can one day regain our freedom and soon. My town had very few covid-19 cases.

We plan to start slowly opening tommorrow on a limited basis.  Masks, etc. will stlll be required as they should.

I sure hope some people don't blow it by not continuing to follow the rules.

Life needs to go on already so people can go back to work, feed their families and not put the world in ruin.  The fallout is yet to come.

Esteemed Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@ccassaday Are you a Florida resident?

No i live in Indiana.

Respected Contributor

So all your comments pertain to your state of Indiana not to my state of Florida, @ccassaday 

Esteemed Contributor

Any time you read an article it is to emphasize just one point!  

I always remember Dan Rather's headlines about "There was dancing in the streets" when the Berlin wall fell.  AND THER WAS..... one couple out of hundreds of people!

They will tell you how many died with Covid-19 but never tell you how many died each day of natural causes by comparison.  If a person coughed once before they died, they had Covid-19!  They link everything possible to it for insurance and statistic's sake.  Please, take these articles with a grain of salt.

We have more killed in automobile accidents every weekend than die from Covid-19 the week before!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I always remember Dan Rather's headlines about "There was dancing in the streets" when the Berlin wall fell.  AND THER WAS..... one couple out of hundreds of people!

They will tell you how many died with Covid-19 but never tell you how many died each day of natural causes by comparison.  If a person coughed once before they died, they had Covid-19!  They link everything possible to it for insurance and statistic's sake.  Please, take these articles with a grain of salt.

We have more killed in automobile accidents every weekend than die from Covid-19 the week before!

This information is not true, @Zhills.

And in what pandemic have they ever compared natural causes to whatever was the pandemic culprit. Why would they? Unless they were trying to imply that the pandemic really wasn't a big deal.

I'll trust your auto accident numbers. But what does have to do with our health crisis? What should we take from your information? What are the ramifications?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

What's really irritating is they have a constant death counter on the TV but no mention of the people recovered. 

I noticed here in NY the talk has moved to a lot of old people would have died no matter what. And the state just made an adjustment so my region could open rather than figure out why the state had inaccurate counts compared to the locals in the first place. So I'm guessing we'll soon see a shift in media coverage. Less covid, less press conferences in the near future. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

From the CDC:

More than 32,000 people are killed and 2 million are injured each year from motor vehicle crashes.

About 90 people die each day in the US from crashes

From the CDC:

Saturday, February 29, 2020  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and public health officials in the state of Washington have reported three hospitalized patients who have tested presumptive-positive for the virus that causes COVID-19, including one patient who died.

Current death total attributed to COVID-19  as of today 89,549 (in 79 days).

From and including: Saturday, February 29, 2020
To and including: Sunday, May 17, 2020

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

QUESTION ABOUT FLORIDA AND COVID 19

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

@ccassaday Are you a Florida resident?

No i live in Indiana.

@ccassaday  Indiana is one of the states that makes quite a bit of information from the public health department available to the public.  I know several people in public health in Indiana and they are very dedicated.  Dr. Eric Yazel is the Clark County Health Officer and has had a blog and also posted on Facebook at times since the start of covid-19 cases occurring in Indiana. He is also an Emergency Room Physician, so has a dual perspective since he also has a public health background.  Very dedicated.

Here is the info for hospitalizations to date for Indiana:

0-19 yrs.         45

20-29              183

30-39              371

40-49              601

50-59              952

60-69              1,109

70-79              924

80+                 856

The total number of hospitalizations for above is 5,041 with 1,200 hospitalizations in those under 50 years of age.  

From the Indiana state department of health website: 

https://www.regenstrief.org/covid-dashboard/ 

For deaths, as of yesterday (Indiana did not report stats today) there are a total of 1,607 deaths with a total of 27,778 positive cases reported.

Of those 1,607 deaths 584 occurred in long term care.  For the 27,778 positive cases 3,033 occurred in long term care.

So that does not support that the vast majority of positive cases or deaths are occurring in nursing homes.  

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

What's really irritating is they have a constant death counter on the TV but no mention of the people recovered. 

I noticed here in NY the talk has moved to a lot of old people would have died no matter what. And the state just made an adjustment so my region could open rather than figure out why the state had inaccurate counts compared to the locals in the first place. So I'm guessing we'll soon see a shift in media coverage. Less covid, less press conferences in the near future. 

@pigletsmom, here is a link to a tracking site used by many state health departments that identifies the number of those recovered.  For New York it now records 40,159 recovered.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en 

Recovery is kind of tricky with coronavirus.  They are seeing what is reported in China in that people that had negative tests after hospitalizations all of the sudden have a positive test and also test positive on a 2nd test given a couple of days later.  This has occurred in the United States as well, in addition it has been reported in some of the sailors from the USS Theordore Roosevelt.  So they will not record those individuals as recovered.   

They are also seeing patients discharged from the hospital that are encountering some neurological, renal, cardiac, or pulmonary complications well past hospital discharge.  They technically don't count those individuals as recovered either.  Same goes for those sent to a long term rehab facility to rehab from a stroke that occurred as a result of covid-19.  So those in rehab would not technically be counted as recovered either.

As for differences in data, that is to be expected.  Numbers are initially entered, but then a team has to go through and flushed out the specifics of the data.  For example, a person may be hospitalized in one county and die in that hospital, but actually reside in another county.  The death is initially recorded for that county.  When the data is reviewed, they will then subtract that death from the county and move it to the county of residence.  

It also happens when there are hospitals close to state borders.  Someone that lives in state A goes to the hospital in State B because it is closer.  That person dies, the death certificate records the death in the county it occurred.  For matter of disease surveillance and death, that death would then be reviewed and moved back to state A.

Data will fluctuate.  Not to mention there are areas that have different reporting times.  Some data sites may record data from noon to noon for a 24 hour period, others may report from midnight to midnight.  Then different hospitals or counties may report at different times.  A death that occurred at 4:00pm will be counted by one data company in their 24 hr period of time, but not recorded in the other until the next day depending on the timing of their 24 hour period.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *