Honored Contributor

University openings in the fall of 2020

[ Edited ]

My school does not have a plan yet for the campus opening for the Fall Semester of 2020.  But several schools have said they plan to open.  My school will be closed for at least the first mini Summer Semester, which starts in another week..  So I'll still be home working.  I miss the campus very much.  I've developed cabin fever for gong to work, lol!

The only thing I'm worried about is we might open but then close because of 2nd wave of virus (if it will happen) . We start Fall Semester right before Labor Day.  I haven't read anything about a potential second wave in the fall. 

The online classes were credited to the students.  But some needed lab work before they can graduate.  So at one point, the school needs to be open. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: University openings in the fall of 2020

Schools, K-12 and colleges re-opening will be nearly the entire cause for the second wave.

Contributor

As far as we know both of my sons' colleges are planning to reopen in the fall. One is in northeast Arkansas and the other is in northeast Louisiana. Really has me concerned.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't worry about a potential 2nd wave that may or may not happen in the fall. I'm just glad that most states (except for California, NY, NJ and a few others) are opening in stages now.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a state university less than 20 miles from me, and a junior college not too far away.

Both are going to have 95% on line courses, and only open campus for labs.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

no word yet on my daughters school.

she was supposed to study abroad in milan in the fall, but that has been shut down.

as a back up, she did register for fall classes.

she is not looking forward to another semester online if that is what is going to happen.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I think many have opinions on openings based on where they live.  I'm in a pretty populated area and the virus is still around. I received an email from my Alma indicating they were opening full force in the fall.  I don't agree that it's a good idea but my kids aren't going there, it's up to the students parents if they are going to send them or the students themselves if they actually attend. 

Boston got hit hard and there are a ton of colleges/universities in the metro area.  I can only hope this doesn't come back and that everyone stays safe.  

I certainly understand both sides, teachers and admins are frustrated, students don't want to miss their classes or their social lives and the govt doesn't want anybody else to get sick.  I"m in healthcare, I dont want to get sick and I don't want any more of my co-workers or employees to get sick (there have been a few)

I just keep saying my novenas...

Honored Contributor

Will students be charged regular tuition if courses are online?  Or will they get a break?

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

no word yet on my daughters school.

she was supposed to study abroad in milan in the fall, but that has been shut down.

as a back up, she did register for fall classes.

she is not looking forward to another semester online if that is what is going to happen.

Oh wow  Milan?????  That were I'm from!  What school?  University of Milan?  

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Will students be charged regular tuition if courses are online?  Or will they get a break?

@ValuSkrHere in CA, most universities are charging regular tuition for online classes.  We did get a refund for the kids' housing costs for the Spring quarter/semester.