Trusted Contributor

QUESTION ABOUT FLORIDA AND COVID 19

Our governor here in Az has opened everything this week.   If you live in Florida or any other state that has opened businesses and restaurants how are your numbers regarding COVID 19? 

I am fearful this opening may blow this virus up.  I hope not.

Frequent Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT FLORIDA AND COVID 19

I live in Central Florida and we are "half" open.  Regardless of the degree of "open" there won't be any significant change in numbers for 10-14 days. 

Honored Contributor

Practice the guidelines and it'll be fine. Personally, I can't wait to get the heck out of this house!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Calcgirl wrote:

Our governor here in Az has opened everything this week.   If you live in Florida or any other state that has opened businesses and restaurants how are your numbers regarding COVID 19? 

I am fearful this opening may blow this virus up.  I hope not.

Iowa has not peaked and has several hundred new cases every day in certain counties.  Yesterday, almost everything opened that wasn't already open.   

Because of covid concerns:

• The legislature won't go back until June or later.
  • The state capital is not open.
  • The governor won't go out in public except for her trip to DC.
  • Schools may not open until January 2021.  
  • Universities don't plan to open in the fall.
  • Doctors see patients with countless precautions and constraints.
  • Covid is rampant in meat packing plants but their CEOs sit in private inaccessible offices and homes.
  • The governor said unemployment claims are too high so people have to go back to work or lose benefits.  There are just a few exceptions but they are difficult to meet.

So, really, how safe is it when the government and CEOs send people out but won't go out or open up themselves?  

I'll know it's safe when the president, governors, congress, and state politicians are out glad-handing in crowds with their children and grandchildren right next to them.

Honored Contributor

One thing I found interesting regarding numbers in Florida (where my mom lives and I would like to visit) vs. Pennsylvania (where I live), Fl has roughly double the population of PA.  However their Covid numbers are at least half including deaths...why? 

I realize that PA got it sooner but it's now many weeks later than when the northeast first got it.  Plus Fl has been less strict about social distancing that PA....just thought that this was interesting.

Flying however looks very dangerous to me and I won't be getting onto a plane for some time.  I simply can't physically drive that long to get there to see her.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think there was a spike in Florida. Georgia has been open for 3 weeks with no spike and that's really want you're looking for. You don't want a huge spike. This thing will be around for a long time but at this point people should have some idea how to stay safe. If you're very compromised stay home, if you're around people who are stay home as much as you can, etc.

Honored Contributor

Here in GA, opened since late April, we have trended down.  In my county, we are down 55% with most surrounding counties also down.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Things are finally getting open here. Sadly many restaurants have gone out of business already and I suspect many more will. Buffets and salad bars will probably never happen again as too many have been made paranoid about touching things let alone be near anyone. I feel badly for those who have lost their jobs and are suffering financially. My younger son who is a chef up in central NY is out of work. Fortunately he has made some wise investment and could probaby retire, but he loves his work and wants to continue. 

I hope no one on these forums has been hurt. 

Honored Contributor

Whatever state we're in, there are going to be relatively safe places as well as identificable dangerous places.   That's my take anyway.

Lots of Florida is open -  come spend is the loud message.  Quietly, occasionally you heard the governor remind that the vulnerable might want to limit themselves.   Even if he hadn't said that, there's not a whole lot of anywhere I want to go that I used to.  

So -  if you're not poor and live or work in crowded conditions, if no one you encounter works in an indoor job where infection is more likely, you go places where others voluntarily observe the best recommendations of health officials and those places are mostly outdoors, you personally are as safe as you can make yourself before science finds a working vaccine and treatments.

With the openings so new, I don't think any statistics so far can tell us what the risks of it are -  we don't even know the benefits much beyond the exuberance of those willing to wade into crowds.  I'm willing to let them walk that plank ahead of me.

I do know one thing -  getting the 3 closed counties in Florida open again is all about the money.  The governor himself taught me that as he spoke recently.   Economically it's a maybe in my mind -  lots of that money comes from heavy tourist traffic, much of which is out of state and out of country.   Y'all coming to Florida soon???

Honored Contributor

@millieshops  I was invited down this week!  If you see my Fiat with GA peach plates, 👋.  😄