Honored Contributor

Just about every day, I get a call from "Private Caller". They are somehow able to block any other information from appearing, so I can't report their number. Anyone else get these call? I never answer them, so you'd think they'd give up! I wonder how they can manage to hide all that information? I do know that if they're unwilling to identify themselves, I'm certainly not interested in talking to them!!!!! But I'd like the calls to stop.

Trusted Contributor

Why don't you call customer service at your phone service provider and ask them how this can happen and what you might be able to do to block such calls?

Esteemed Contributor

I get them, too...along with all the other annoying Toll Free 800 calls that come in...answering and telling them to take your number off their list is a waste of time...they have hundreds and hundreds of 800 numbers...

Valued Contributor

It's fairly easy to hide Caller ID information when you are dialing a number. I couldn't remember the prefix used, so I looked it up on WikiHow:

How to Make Your [Land Line or] Mobile Phone Number Appear As a Private Number

Use a caller ID blocking prefix. In many countries, you can enter a code before you dial a number and your phone number will be blocked from appearing on the recipient's caller ID. The code varies depending on your country and your service provider, and it is not possible to block in all countries. Enter the prefix, followed immediately by the number you are dialing. For example, if you are in the US and want to call (555)123-4567, you would enter *675551234567

• North America -- *67

ETA: Erased the other countries because of extraneous data information.

Link: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Mobile-Phone-Number-Appear-As-a-Private-Number

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

Several people I know do this but usually leave a message. I won't answer if I don't know who it is.

Valued Contributor

I get these private caller ID too. I let it go to voicemail. One day however the private caller called back immediately and I answered it. It was one of my husband's doctors.

Honored Contributor

I guess they must feel it's worth their while to not get reported. Sure hope all the robo-callers don't start doing that!!! As I said, I just don't answer. Actually, these days I only answer the phone from numbers that I recognize. Such a nuisance!!!! (Thanks for the info, SG, I had forgotten about that code.)

Super Contributor

These calls are a daily nuisance. Some are ""Private Caller"" or ""Unavailable"" but most are from odd states with 855 numbers. Or just the number alone.

The ones that baffle me are the 7-digit numbers like 000-1919

If you want to temporarily block your cell info there is a way to do it right on the phone. You can change back if you want.

Super Contributor
On 4/7/2015 TaxyLady said:

I get these private caller ID too. I let it go to voicemail. One day however the private caller called back immediately and I answered it. It was one of my husband's doctors.

My Primary Care doctor uses ""Private Caller"" when they call. IDK its strange

Trusted Contributor

This is not happening because people are entering a code into the phone before each call. This happens primarily thanks to the advent of VOIP which most companies now use for phone service. Essentially, a company's phone switch's software can be set up to broadcast customized caller ID information.