Valued Contributor
On 4/7/2015 moonstone dunes said:

These calls are a daily nuisance. Some are "Private Caller" or "Unavailable" but most are from odd states with 855 numbers. Or just the number alone.

The ones that baffle me are the 7-digit numbers like 000-1919

If you want to temporarily block your cell info there is a way to do it right on the phone. You can change back if you want.

Yes, there is. I didn't include that information. Here it is:

Hide your number through your device's settings. Many phones allow you to block your Caller ID information by changing the phone's settings. If your phone does not have the option to do this, then it is not allowed by your carrier, and you will have to try one of the previous steps.

· iPhone - Open the Settings app, tap Phone, tap Show My Caller ID, and then toggle the slider to ON.

· Android 4.0 and earlier - Open the Settings app, tap Call, tap "Additional settings", tap Caller ID, and then tap "Hide number".

· Android 4.1 and later - Open the Phone app, tap the Menu button, tap "Call settings", tap Caller ID, tap "Hide number"

· Windows Phone 8 - Open the Phone app, tap the More button (...), tap "settings", tap the box under "Show my caller ID to", tap "no one" or "my contacts"

· BlackBerry - Press the Menu key, click Options, click General Options, find the Restrict My Identity field, set it to Always.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

We used to have a private, unlisted telephone number. Therefore when we called someone from our landline, it came across their caller id as private caller.

However, we get a lot of sales and solicitation calls from private callers. I just ignore them. At one point we had something on our phone so private numbers couldn't ring through. They got a message stating we didn't accept calls from private numbers.

Honored Contributor
Just another form of ""electronic hacking"". Look for it to get worse before it gets better. Who knows? Maybe it's the NSA checking you out!
hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I get these types of calls, too. I just ignore them. If we get any medical calls, they actually show up as coming from our hospital system/network, so we don't have to wonder about that.

Super Contributor
On 4/7/2015 moonstone dunes said:
On 4/7/2015 TaxyLady said:

I get these private caller ID too. I let it go to voicemail. One day however the private caller called back immediately and I answered it. It was one of my husband's doctors.

My Primary Care doctor uses "Private Caller" when they call. IDK its strange

Yes, apparently some medical offices and hospitals use "Private Caller." I had no idea until I Googled "Private Caller."

I recommend that people Google and read up on the Private Caller IDs. Some are scams, but sometimes they aren't. I wouldn't just dismiss them out of hand.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/7/2015 Pook said:

Several people I know do this but usually leave a message. I won't answer if I don't know who it is.

I won't answer any call if I don't recognize the number. I probably get five or six a day. I have a phone that announces "who" is calling, so I don't pick up if I don't know the number or person. They never do leave a message....

Respected Contributor

We have a feature that tells the caller that we do not accept blocked calls and to unblock and call again. I don't block my caller i.d. so I do think it's a bit off-putting when others do it.

Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2015 hckynut said: Just another form of ""electronic hacking"". Look for it to get worse before it gets better. Who knows? Maybe it's the NSA checking you out!

Definitely. NSA.

Regular Contributor
Yep, I use to answer these private calls a few years ago, but I did quit after I caught on. No one that I know uses that to call me or my husband. I only answer the numbers that I know are family and friends.
Honored Contributor

When I call people from my home phone, it comes up like this on their ID. We never asked for a block of any kind, and we actually are in the phone book, so I have no idea why it happens, but I've never done anything to change it either.

I know that one of the lines from my Vet's office comes up like that, when she calls from the line in her office. I also have answered calls that come up like that and they are solicitors.

I don't think you can judge, just by that particular label, exactly one type of caller or solicitor. Could be a number of things. Any call like that, or a number I don't recognize, I usually let go to the answering machine, then pick up if it is someone I want to talk to.