Esteemed Contributor
On 4/7/2015 kittywhipped said:

We have a feature that tells the caller that we do not accept blocked calls and to unblock and call again. I don't block my caller i.d. so I do think it's a bit off-putting when others do it.

I use anonymous call rejection too and it blocks call that come up private.

I simply dial *77 and wait for confirmation tone and anyone calling me whose phone number doesn't show up gets a message that were aren't accepting blocked numbers and if they unblock the number they will get through.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I don't believe my doctor uses "private", but I do know that they would leave me a voice message. The calls that I get just say "Private" and there is no number showing. I'll just continue to ignore, as I've been doing.

Honored Contributor

i get these every day.....from my ex husband. LOL

he his cell phone number blocked so it always appears as PRIVATE CALLER.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

When that happens, sometimes I'll answer the call and say "I'm sorry, this phone number doesn't accept private numbers. Please unblock your number and call back again. Thank you!"

Sometimes I'll hear people grumble, or start to leave a message, and sometimes they will call back.

Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2015 Krimpette said:

I don't believe my doctor uses "private", but I do know that they would leave me a voice message. The calls that I get just say "Private" and there is no number showing. I'll just continue to ignore, as I've been doing.

Doctors, and some companies, and some blocked numbers do that.

For a long time I was not answering calls from my dr, because line said "private", I guess they are calling from an extension and those numbers are not listed. Last year Medical Group came up on phone. So now at least I know whose calling.

Here is new one for me. The night before surgery I was waiting for call from Anesthesiologist. I ignored the call because the number on ID said 01-000 and 4 other digits! I thought, that is a telemarketer for sure! It wasn't. I was kind of miffed. He left message but I had to really talk to him

Honored Contributor
I don't answer it. If they don't leave a message, I block the number. I have an "unknown" that calls me every night between 8:30-9:00. I am about ready to unblock them, so I can answer it if it doesn't stop. It's been going on for weeks.
Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2015 GCR18 said: I don't answer it. If they don't leave a message, I block the number. I have an "unknown" that calls me every night between 8:30-9:00. I am about ready to unblock them, so I can answer it if it doesn't stop. It's been going on for weeks.

I have heard, and someone pipe up if I am wrong, answering may worsen the problem. Many telemarketers, scammers run numbers. The marketer puts in a target area code, then lets the computer spit out phone number sequences. Many numbers will be out of service, not functioning number, odds of a working number are high. When a person answers the phone, it is a "live hit", and your number is put on a list and sold as an active number. Or, there is that "silence" why you say, hello, hello...then a live sales person comes on the line

Regular Contributor

Please answer the calls that come from "the insurance service center on behalf of your bank". I worked for a call center that handled the insurance info for home and auto loans. Believe it or not, during the housing crisis, lack of insurance info helped contribute to the foreclosures. We would call to verify insurance, customers would send the info to the wrong address, refuse to talk to us, or hang up on us assuming we were telemarketers. We didn't have info, so we placed lender insurance on them. The insurance comes off the top of your payments without you even noticing. So, you pay your mortgage or your car loan, lender applies payment to insurance...again and again and again. Then, the notices come. We send out notices, that you are behind on mortgage payments. You send proof that you paid. The bank asks you to send us insurance info. The cycle begins again. By the time it is straightened out, it is such a mess that people went into foreclosure before it was corrected. They had to start new legislation because of it. The biggest lenders were fined because of it...and it still happens.

Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2015 inallsincerity said:

Please answer the calls that come from "the insurance service center on behalf of your bank". I worked for a call center that handled the insurance info for home and auto loans. Believe it or not, during the housing crisis, lack of insurance info helped contribute to the foreclosures. We would call to verify insurance, customers would send the info to the wrong address, refuse to talk to us, or hang up on us assuming we were telemarketers. We didn't have info, so we placed lender insurance on them. The insurance comes off the top of your payments without you even noticing. So, you pay your mortgage or your car loan, lender applies payment to insurance...again and again and again. Then, the notices come. We send out notices, that you are behind on mortgage payments. You send proof that you paid. The bank asks you to send us insurance info. The cycle begins again. By the time it is straightened out, it is such a mess that people went into foreclosure before it was corrected. They had to start new legislation because of it. The biggest lenders were fined because of it...and it still happens.

omg, I never knew that! Wow!

Esteemed Contributor
When I call friends, we don,t text or have caller I'D, are number comes up as private. When I call my son's house it says private. They know it me. I,m not going to pay extra for all the gadgets . When I get a call, I do have an answering machine and that picks up, when I hear who it is, I pick up if I want to talk at that time, or I will call them back later. I don,t need caller I'D to tell me who is calling. The answering machine does that.