Honored Contributor

Re: Police Rescind Venus Williams At Fault Statement

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I am sure Ms. Williams is extremely relieved and it is sad that the police rushed to blame her for the death of an individual involved in the crash.  It would be interesting to know the reaction of the family who was suing her for a wrongful death.   Large sums of money may have danced in their heads and the latest news may have put a damper on their dreams.  Just a thought, hopefully they took the news well.

@Lindsays Grandma

I've had the same thoughts... deep pockets.

FYI: CA has a law about shared fault for some accidents.  I didn't see why police blamed Venus right off the bat, she had been moving 5 mph and the other woman hit HER.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder how much cash Ms Williams had to "contribute" to get the charge reversed?  Does this mean the other driver will now be charged, then? I imagine the elderly gentleman's family will still go after Ms Williams and her deep purse. RIP to the gentleman. Ms Williams, you may want to hire a driver. G*d knows you can surely afford it!

dee

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

I wonder how much cash Ms Williams had to "contribute" to get the charge reversed?  Does this mean the other driver will now be charged, then? I imagine the elderly gentleman's family will still go after Ms Williams and her deep purse. RIP to the gentleman. Ms Williams, you may want to hire a driver. G*d knows you can surely afford it!

dee

Whoa, not very nice but definitely unsubstantiated implications.

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like it was an accident with nobody really at fault.  Yes, she was in an intersection on a red but not because of anything she did wrong; the other car had a green light.  My guess is some ambulance-chasing attorney was on the victim instantly to represent her seeing nothing but $$$$.   I wonder what the laws of yielding a right of way to a car in an intersection are in that state.  Because even if you have a green light, I don't think the law gives you permission to just drive through with a car there.  Speculation would be the light turned green and she just went without checking to see that all was clear.  Very sad situation all the way around.  Whether she's cleared or not, I'm sure she feels horrible about it.

Respected Contributor

It is illegal in most states to willfully cause an accident because you have the right of way. Maybe the other driver didn't see Venus' car but I don't think she tried to stop or hit her brakes at all once she did. She paid a big price to be right even though in this case Venus legally had the right to get out of the intersection since she had entered it on a green light. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I haven't seen one mention of STATE LAW.  It depends what the Florida statutes say regarding this. I agree with the celebrity-money opinion.  Had this been Mrs Average Housewife with no substantial assets, this wouldn't be going on.

it would be going on, but it wouldnt be highly publicized.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

It sounds like it was an accident with nobody really at fault.  Yes, she was in an intersection on a red but not because of anything she did wrong; the other car had a green light.  My guess is some ambulance-chasing attorney was on the victim instantly to represent her seeing nothing but $$$$.   I wonder what the laws of yielding a right of way to a car in an intersection are in that state.  Because even if you have a green light, I don't think the law gives you permission to just drive through with a car there.  Speculation would be the light turned green and she just went without checking to see that all was clear.  Very sad situation all the way around.  Whether she's cleared or not, I'm sure she feels horrible about it.

I viewed a video.  The speed at which the woman hit the Williams car indicates to me she hadn't been sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn green.  Rather, the light ahead of her was green and she kept traveling at a consistent speed, not noticing the Williams car in front or that it wasn't moving. 

Of course she wants someone else to be at fault.  Money aside, how could she live with herself if it was her poor driving that caused her husband's death?

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

As a result of the fatality there will probably be a review of the intersection by the city or county. Yellow flashing lights and a proceed with caution sign may be installed. 

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Generally, the one doing the hitting is at fault. Rear end crashes are caused by tailgating or inattention. This accident was either speeding or a failure of attention. How could she not see a car in the intersection? It didn't just appear out of nowhere.

@occasionalrain Did you bother reading the report that was provided by the OP?

Yes, I read it. I gave the rear end situation as an example but in re-reading it I can understand how it would seem I was referring to this accident. I was not. What I meant was the other driver was either speeding, inattentive, or both and totally at fault. Sorry for the confusion.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

It is illegal in most states to willfully cause an accident because you have the right of way. Maybe the other driver didn't see Venus' car but I don't think she tried to stop or hit her brakes at all once she did. She paid a big price to be right even though in this case Venus legally had the right to get out of the intersection since she had entered it on a green light. 

@truffle  I agree.  How many times have any of us went through the intersection on a green light only to have to stop mid-intersection because we were cut off or traffic ahead of us stopped suddenly?

It seems the drive who hit Serena was totally at fault.  Just because you have the right of way as your light turns green doesn't mean you can just hit the gas and go.

And I'll say it-the husband was 78 years old.  How old is the wife?  Is this a senior driver who either didn't see Serena or lead-footed it instead of braking??

Also, the police orginally went by eyewitnesses who claimed Serena ran the red light.

Glad the video is available.  All the best to Serena.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh