Respected Contributor

Re: Police Rescind Venus Williams At Fault Statement

[ Edited ]

When you enter an intersection on a green light and circumstances leave you in the middle of it with the light now red, any sane person coming in from the side would have to have seen your predicament.  Any sane person would have slowed down and allowed Venus to continue through the intersection instead of hitting her. There are many intersections throughout the country that are unusually large taking a long time to get thru with another intersection up ahead from that one that approaches much too soon and when traffic is bottlenecked there, it impacts the larger intersection.  I have been stuck a couple times and never enter on an old green light knowing I will get stuck in the middle yet there are times when even on a new green light odd circumstances occur. I've never been struck but my car prevented cross traffic from proceeding until that other light changed. All who live in the area know this happens and no one charges into you. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am sure Ms. Williams is extremely relieved and it is sad that the police rushed to blame her for the death of an individual involved in the crash.  It would be interesting to know the reaction of the family who was suing her for a wrongful death.   Large sums of money may have danced in their heads and the latest news may have put a damper on their dreams.  Just a thought, hopefully they took the news well.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

This is why I have a dashcam in my car.

It would be one more piece of evidence to make a final determination as to what exactly happened, and who is at fault.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know if this will really affect the law suit, I doubt the family will drop their case.  I have learned several times in many of these lawsuits it is not about who is "right" or "wrong" but how to get a settlement.  Sometimes people get settlement cause it is cheaper to give the person 20,000 then drag it out and pay their lawyers 300.00 per hour.

Also, I am thankful the poster provided an update as I did not hear this on the news and many times when the person is cleared the coverage is never as extensive as when the original story was covered.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Generally, the one doing the hitting is at fault. Rear end crashes are caused by tailgating or inattention. This accident was either speeding or a failure of attention. How could she not see a car in the intersection? It didn't just appear out of nowhere.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

When you enter an intersection on a green light and circumstances leave you in the middle of it with the light now red, any sane person coming in from the side would have to have seen your predicament.  Any sane person would have slowed down and allowed Venus to continue through the intersection instead of hitting her. There are many intersections throughout the country that are unusually large taking a long time to get thru with another intersection up ahead from that one that approaches much too soon and when traffic is bottlenecked there, it impacts the larger intersection.  I have been stuck a couple times and never enter on an old green light knowing I will get stuck in the middle yet there are times when even on a new green light odd circumstances occur. I've never been struck but my car prevented cross traffic from proceeding until that other light changed. All who live in the area know this happens and no one charges into you. 

I don't think the car that struck Williams' car saw her.  There were other cars stopped in the intersection (2?) that may've been blocking the view.  The car that struck Williams' wasn't doing anything illegal.  They had the right of way--a green light.

But the predicament that Williams was in, I'm wondering if that other vehicle she had to stop for, would have some sort of responsibility of the unfortunate event.

I'm surprised Williams wasn't badly hurt or worse because it looks like she really got hit hard.

Trusted Contributor

I think this is a case of a family who saw that they could sue a celebrity and get some big bucks....

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Generally, the one doing the hitting is at fault. Rear end crashes are caused by tailgating or inattention. This accident was either speeding or a failure of attention. How could she not see a car in the intersection? It didn't just appear out of nowhere.

@occasionalrain Did you bother reading the report that was provided by the OP?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I haven't seen one mention of STATE LAW.  It depends what the Florida statutes say regarding this. I agree with the celebrity-money opinion.  Had this been Mrs Average Housewife with no substantial assets, this wouldn't be going on.

Esteemed Contributor

That video is scary to watch - I hate heavy traffic. Her interview was very sad, I feel sorry for her...