Honored Contributor

Re: Police Rescind Venus Williams At Fault Statement

@esmerelda wrote:

@Wsmom wrote:

It sounds like it was an accident with nobody really at fault.  Yes, she was in an intersection on a red but not because of anything she did wrong; the other car had a green light.  My guess is some ambulance-chasing attorney was on the victim instantly to represent her seeing nothing but $$$$.   I wonder what the laws of yielding a right of way to a car in an intersection are in that state.  Because even if you have a green light, I don't think the law gives you permission to just drive through with a car there.  Speculation would be the light turned green and she just went without checking to see that all was clear.  Very sad situation all the way around.  Whether she's cleared or not, I'm sure she feels horrible about it.

I viewed a video.  The speed at which the woman hit the Williams car indicates to me she hadn't been sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn green.  Rather, the light ahead of her was green and she kept traveling at a consistent speed, not noticing the Williams car in front or that it wasn't moving. 

Of course she wants someone else to be at fault.  Money aside, how could she live with herself if it was her poor driving that caused her husband's death?

Very well said @esmerelda, this is just a terrible situation all the way around.  It's unfortunate the initial police findings were blasted all over the place before their final determination was made and goodness knows what ambulance chaser got a hold of the family in the meantime and has now made a bad situation even worse if possible.

Trusted Contributor

You are not supposed to enter the intersection (even if you have a green light) if you cannot make it through without stopping.   People that do that cause major gridlock at certain intersections.     

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Junebug54 Sometimes you think you can make it through and it turns out you cannot...because someone ahead of you stopped for whatever reason.

eta...VW waited to enter the intersection and let a car make a left turn in front of her, when she clearly had the right of way.  I think when she entered the intersection she believed she would clear it.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3...the wife is 67.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Where I live, we have lanes where, when you are in them, you can either go straight across, or turn left.

The traffic directly across from you, can either go straight across, or turn right.

If you are going to turn left, you have to yield to those going straight across.

Sometimes after there is a break in traffic  of those going straight across, so the one that wants to turn left enters the intersection to make their left hand turn, and when they do, here comes more vehicles that want to go straight across.

So now the car making the left hand turn has to yield to them, meanwhile, the car making the left hand turn is still in the intersection when their light turns red.

They must complete their left hand turn.

They can't just sit there in the middle of the intersection and wait for their light to turn green again.

Respected Contributor

Since there was a fatality, I'm sure everyone involved is very traumatized.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A comment was made maybe in or I "hope" in "JEST" that Ms. Williams paid for a change in the police report, please understand the video cleared her.  I know some people "hate' people with any wealth or even "dislike" other "races" who have "wealth" but please don't jest involving the police department.  The police work hard and trust and believe they wound not fake a video.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

I wonder how much cash Ms Williams had to "contribute" to get the charge reversed?  Does this mean the other driver will now be charged, then? I imagine the elderly gentleman's family will still go after Ms Williams and her deep purse. RIP to the gentleman. Ms Williams, you may want to hire a driver. G*d knows you can surely afford it!

dee

@deedledeedeedle, what in the world would make you accuse this person of paying off TPTB? Unbelievable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

You are not supposed to enter the intersection (even if you have a green light) if you cannot make it through without stopping.   People that do that cause major gridlock at certain intersections.     

In my state, if you are stopped in the intersection when the light turns green for opposing traffic, YOU have the right of way.

Trusted Contributor

I am glad Venus was cleared and my prayers to the family, losing a member is hard. I do have to say she (Venus) is handling the situation with grace and class when she could have gone on a rant blaming the wife for everything. When I heard the family is still blaming Venus, keeping the lawsuit ongoing and basically slandering Venus by saying she was speeding and jumped in front of the wife.. it made me feel they really are just after money.

From what I have read Venus had the right of way and the other drivers were to yield even at the green light. I also read the wife has three previous speeding tickets. I dont think the wife saw Venus but I also dont think she was paying full attention. Seeing two lanes of traffic sitting at a green light should make you slow down. This could have been a pedestrian attempting to cross.

I hope the case will be thrown out without them collecting a penny. The sad thing is I think Venus would have offered money (maybe assistance with the funeral) to the family just because of the situation, she was so shaken up over it. Now with them attempting to blame and sue her, I dont see it happening.

#IAmTeamWen