Esteemed Contributor

Police Rescind Venus Williams At Fault Statement

After reviewing footage from a nearby security camera, police in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., have rescinded their original statement that Venus Williams was at fault for a June 9 car crash that led to the death of the passenger in the other vehicle.

A police department statement says investigators had located new video evidence, "surveillance footage ... obtained from a community south of the intersection which recorded the traffic crash."

The Associated Press describes what they found:

"Williams legally entered an intersection but was cut off by another car, setting off a chain of events that seconds later resulted in a fatal crash with a third car, police say video released Friday shows.

"The video, taken by a security camera, shows Williams heading north as she stops her 2010 Toyota Sequoia SUV at a stoplight behind a white car as she exits her Palm Beach Gardens neighborhood shortly after 1 p.m. June 9.

"When the light turns green, the white car turns left onto a six-lane, heavily traveled boulevard, but Williams heads straight. A dark colored sedan turns left in front of her, causing her to stop.

"She then continues straight into the far, westbound lanes, where her SUV is struck in the passenger's side by a 2016 Hyundai sedan driven by Linda Barson."

More at:  http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/07/536069076/police-take-second-look-at-venus-william...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Police Rescind Venus Williams At Fault Statement

Thanks @Marp for the clarifications about this accident. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I am so glad to read this.  I had read descriptions of the accident and did not see how they could have blamed Venus, preposterous.  

So glad conclusive evidence was found.

Honored Contributor

@Marp

I read the article and noticed this sentence 

Since the release of the footage on Friday, Palm Beach Gardens police spokesman Maj. Paul Rogers has said blame has not yet been determined.

Am I reading this incorrectly or have the police made a final decision?

Honored Contributor

That's what I hate about the news media.  They had Venus responsible and naturally everyone thinks the worse of the situation and her.  You are innocent until proven guilty even OUTSIDE of court!  Thank God for that camera.  Plus Venus was extremely upset when being questioned about it and all of it could have been avoided.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Marp

Since the release of the footage on Friday, Palm Beach Gardens police spokesman Maj. Paul Rogers has said blame has not yet been determined.

@butterfly123, I don't think you are reading it incorrectly.  Police have both vehicles impounded and my understanding is that representatives of all parties involved will get together to download information from the "black boxes" from both vehicles.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Marp

@butterfly123

i dont think it is over......and it looks like at this point the family intends to sue.

The Barson family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Williams, who was not injured in the accident, claiming that Jerome Barson’s death was caused “as a result of the negligence of Williams,” the Palm Beach Post reported last week. 

Michael Steinger, the Barson family’s attorney, said in a statement to the AP, that Friday’s video still shows that Williams caused the accident and violated “the Barsons’ right of way.”

“There is nothing that disputes Ms. Williams was in the intersection on a red light, and the witnesses clearly confirm the Barsons had a green light and lawfully entered the intersection,” Steinger said.

Police said on Friday that the crash is still under investigation and that officers are still working to identify the driver of the Altima, according to the Palm Beach Post.

via huffington post

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

That's what I hate about the news media.  They had Venus responsible and naturally everyone thinks the worse of the situation and her.  You are innocent until proven guilty even OUTSIDE of court!  Thank God for that camera.  Plus Venus was extremely upset when being questioned about it and all of it could have been avoided.  Cat Happy

You are placing blame where it does not belong.  The news media reported what the Palm Beach Gardens police initially said.  To wit:  "Police in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., said Thursday that Venus Williams was at fault in a June 9 car crash that led to the death of the passenger in another vehicle."  ( http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/30/534965373/florida-police-blame-tennis-star-venus-w... )

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp

Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Don't blame the news media @Katcat1 but the police who issued the statement to the media. The police rushed the statement before looking into all the evidence. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson