Respected Contributor

@Oznell   That was fun and was spot-on.  Born and raised in New Jersey, moved to CT as a pre-teen and spent adult years in RI then CT, now in DC.

Absolutely accurate--Newark/Paterson, which is northern NJ.  And only one answer indicated Springfield, MA, i.e. New England.

Respected Contributor

Not even close. Woman Embarassed

Respected Contributor

Weird that it came up Rockford/Aurora, IL, and didn't just say Chicago which would be spot on.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell That was fun!

Just like you in dialect.

It's interesting because my husband and I grew up 5 miles apart and we sound a little differently in our dialects.

I spent summers on the northwest side of Chicago with my grandmother, while DH grew up in the nearby western suburbs.

My husband occasionally points out my funny, flat ways of saying things like

pop, hot and stop. All these come out with a flat A sound where the O is.

Oh yes, and when I say roof, it sounds like woof. That one really cracks him up.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PINPOINT YOUR DIALECT

[ Edited ]

Mine was way off, Fresno, Phoenix and Tucson. I’m from Texas. 

Honored Contributor

Fascinating.  Right where I live.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Put me smack dab in Philadelphia.  Completely accurate!  (And, no, I don't say "youse")

Honored Contributor

Well, when I was giving hubs the test, I realized I had skipped a couple of questions.  So went back and took the whole thing again.  IT GAVE ME A DIFFERENT RESULT, gack.  I think I must have messed up again, though.

Detroit and Boise, Idaho, anyone???

Esteemed Contributor

Cute idea for a quiz, but I already know that I sound like a southerner.  😊 When I concentrate, I can control the accent and dialect, but get me excited about something or find me when I'm tired, and you'll have no doubts about my coming from the mountains of Kentucky.

Trusted Contributor

Took it twice and way off both times. Zeroed in on Northern California the first time. 2nd time was SLC, Utah, Minneapolis and Madison, Wisconsin.

I was born and have lived almost my entire life in southern Arizona. Lived very briefly in Tampa in ‘68 and also Omaha in ‘64

And frequently east coast Italians think I’m also an east coast Italian. I'm of Mexican decent.