Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, how interesting, @Allegheny.  In these kinds of analyses, it's as interesting when they don't get it right, as it is when they do!  Would love to know what factors were at play.

I talked to many people all over the US for over 20 years on the phone.  It is easy to get a general idea of where people live by the way they speak.

in PA alone, we have some areas that say You, Yinz is very popular where I live, but I don't use that word, some areas like Pittsburgh and York say Youz.

Pop or soda, sneakers or tennies?

i love to hear the varieties of the English language.  Sometimes people move to another area, or they grew up with patents who have different accents and use different words for things.  Sometimes like me, you have to loose the slang because of your job or people won't understand you.

The history channel, I think, had a program about our language and the progression of it over time and how a lot of it was influenced by immigrants. They also showed and explained why and how some people speak slow and other speak fast.  I find it fascinating.

Honored Contributor

Pinpoint right down to the home city.  Amazing.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

It guessed my correct region of the country, but didn’t list my exact state. 

A fun quiz, @Oznell ~ thank you! 👍

Honored Contributor

Generally speaking, my section of the country is accurate -- but there is an emphasis on the South that I did not realize I had.

My main cities were: Baltimore; Winston-Salem, N.C.; and Greensboro, N.C.

I think my "you all," which was a prevalent way of addressing others in my Maryland hometown, threw me southward.  However, the test cites "yard sale" as the great revealer of my dialect. 

Thank you so much, oznell.  Enjoyable! 

Honored Contributor

This was a bit different from the quizzes I’ve taken before in that it showed the regional area after each question based on your pronunciation.  

It was interesting to me in that I have lived in a few totally different areas of the country for several years at a time, and evidently have picked up various regional pronunciations and expressions of each.

Respected Contributor

That was fun-thank you for writing about it.  I scored accurately for where I come from - Buffalo/Rochester NY.  I could have "tweaked" my results to reflect where I live now but resisted!

Honored Contributor

I was in red, denver area, never lived there, i living in new england sinse early 80's ,i still have the southern indiana dialect ,people still what to know where i am from.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Re: PINPOINT YOUR DIALECT

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

Don't know why mine wasn't accurate.  It indicated my dialect was heavily used in Nebraska and Kansas.  I'm from SW Pennsylvania.

I'm also from SW Pennsylvania  and mine said Nebraska and Ohio.  I get the Ohio but I'm not sure where the Nebraska came from.  

Honored Contributor

You were an honest test-taker, @FastDogWalker2!  I do think the test is designed to pick up the dialect we were first exposed to, (since that tends to be the most persistent, I imagine) although many people eventually shed aspects of their birth dialect as they move around to other places.

I still have a bit of a Canadian overlay to mine, that comes out ("oot") most when I'm talking to relatives, or am surprised or excited!

Honored Contributor

Re: PINPOINT YOUR DIALECT

[ Edited ]

Who among "you all" has a Tennessee accent?  I love that one and the Tidewater Virginia accent.

Hear Tidewater Virginia below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzVKCWXrRA

[By the way, I, too, thought the test would focus more on sound rather than word choices for particular meanings.]