Honored Contributor

Someone remind me in July to buy a gift set please

I was in Walmart at 10pm last night trying to grab together some Christmas gifts for coworkers.  We never used to exchange with coworkers but this most recent group does.

I had my GM and a coworker give me gift cards last year that I was not expecting.  I threw together a last minute gift for the GM.  

Yep, hanging head in shame.  No gift closet here.

This year I bought her a nice gift and decided that woud be the one and only.  Until the second coworker sent an email yesterday saying he wanted to take everyone out for lunch next week as his gift to everyone.  Really?

So I went last night and got a nice but small gift for him and a token one for everyone else; a small ornament and some gift chocolates.  The others I don't interact with as much so I'm not worried about it plus I don't have the money right now and never do in December.

Anyway, your mission should you choose to accept it is to make sure @Laura14 takes advantage of a gift set of some sort to have on hand for coworkers at Christmas.  Write it down.  Christmas in July is heads up for me.  

Personally I think it's hysterical that I think I'll be there in a year and put up with another 12 months but will go with positivity for 2019.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Someone remind me in July to buy a gift set please

@Laura14.......Way back when I was working, we always started talking about what we wanted to do for Christmas in the office around Thanksgiving.  Usually we all agreed to draw names, and to have a price point to spend.  Having to get individual gifts for everyone can get rather expensive.  The drawing of names made it a lot easier.....we usually wrote 3 suggestions on the piece of paper that had our name on it.  But, there were always some that brought in individual gifts for some, and that made the others feel uncomfortable.  I have my own opinion on this subject, but will keep it to myself.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 ... grab some mini stockings on sale after Christmas.  Next year a battery operated tea light (12 for a 1.00 at a Dollar Tree or slightly more at other places), toss in some candy and let 'er fly.  Can't afford, and don't need to buy for the whole office.  It's the thought that counts.  Heck, I'd even just give them a Christmas card.  Spending is for family and friends.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe  In the past, we've always said spend your money on your family.  I think some people just don't realize, others don't have it to give.

I had a coworker a few years ago who was going to break the tradition and I flat out said to her please don't.  You are putting me and others in a very bad place because we just can't afford it.

She could have cared less.  Even when I did the uncomfortable thing of being flat out honest and taking the hit, she carried on and I did what I could to buy her a little something for the holidays since I knew she would regardless. 

I tried to be okay with just not reciprocating but manners are a tough thing to not have.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Preds.  I've always said personal family and friends only too.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@ShowMe  In the past, we've always said spend your money on your family.  I think some people just don't realize, others don't have it to give.

I had a coworker a few years ago who was going to break the tradition and I flat out said to her please don't.  You are putting me and others in a very bad place because we just can't afford it.

She could have cared less.  Even when I did the uncomfortable thing of being flat out honest and taking the hit, she carried on and I did what I could to buy her a little something for the holidays since I knew she would regardless. 

I tried to be okay with just not reciprocating but manners are a tough thing to not have.  

@Laura14........remember, feelings of how others feel is important.....and apparently that co-worker didn't care.  Yes, life can be tough......

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  on this same note, what about when "your" group of friends decide to get together for the gift exchange, and there is a limit set. say $10.00. my friend would always insist on spending $20.00.  i tried to explain, that there is a limit for a reason, so others don't feel bad. everyone is in the same "gift arena"   it was like talking to a wall.  she just didn't get it. 

Honored Contributor

She didn't last long @ShowMe.  I just thought it was funny when she wasn't picking up on the hint and I flat out laid it out for her, she still refused to get it.   Not nice. 

Anyway, I really thought I could do better on my own but some of the QVC gift sets really would have been better and about the same money so Christmas in July is now my jam.   

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo  That is my family!!  We do Secret Santa for the adults and we did have a $25 limit.  I am the poor person in the group and most of them also have a birthday the same month so I'm already shelling out double money and gifts. 

A few years ago they decided $50 was more like it so we could improve the quality of the gifts.  Easy for them since they all have working financial partners who make very good money. 

Unfortunately, my paycheck is still the same and I really am trying to stay off the street corner for now.    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think gift giving gets out of hand.  Where I used to work people did small token kinds of things, but they still add up.  I’m trying to remember back.  For instance, a chocolate Santa or peppermint stick taped to the outside of a Christmas card and left on everyone’s desk or a small cellophane bag with mixed types of candies (Hershey’s Kisses, etc).    One year I did small gift bags with a couple of packages of cocoa mix (divided up from the box) and a gingerbread cookie. One lady used to leave a bag of Sees peppermint twists on everyone’s desk.  At the time they were a $1 a bag but I see they’re $3.85 now.  My goal at the time was to keep it under $5.   

peppermint-twists-187-candy-alt1 (1).jpg