Honored Contributor

Article in New York Times--  "How Y'All, You Guys, and Youse Talk".   I cannot link because of controversial side bars, but do google if you want to take the questionaire.

I've taken this sort of test before, but this one was far more precise.  Although I spent most my formative years in Canada, our nearest cluster of U.S. T.V. stations was from Buffalo, and constantly beamed into every southern Ontario household.  The quiz said my way of speaking was closest in the U.S. to those of Buffalo, Rochester and Aurora, Illinois.  Bingo!

In the past, when I've taken a test to see how close they could pinpoint my dialect, they always put me in the general "Great Lakes" dialect category.

They ask both pronunciation questions ("how do you pronounce Mary, marry, merry," etc.) and choice of word questions ("what do you call rubber soled shoes", etc.)

It's quick and fun, and in my case, eerily accurate. 

Respected Contributor

My results were accurate. Exactly where I live.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @Janey2--  neat!

Honored Contributor

It got my general area of the country right, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Don't know why mine wasn't accurate.  It indicated my dialect was heavily used in Nebraska and Kansas.  I'm from SW Pennsylvania.

Honored Contributor

Oh, how interesting, @Allegheny.  In these kinds of analyses, it's as interesting when they don't get it right, as it is when they do!  Would love to know what factors were at play.

Honored Contributor

Mine pinpointed me in the Yonkers  New York, and NJ area.

i live in South Central PA.

Close, but no cigar.

I am familiar with NY and NJ accents, and I do not speak like that.

I have always had people who were confused about my accent...everywhere I go.  My DH's accent is very strong and different than mine.  We grew up in the same community.

I think because of my job in communications, I learned to lose the slang.

Respected Contributor

It pinpointed Omaha and Denver for me and I'm originally from NW Pa.

Respected Contributor

spot on!

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

@Oznell  It did show on the map that some of my dialect is used in my region, but most highly concentrated in Southern Nebraska and Kansas.