Honored Contributor

Re: 'Netiquette'~Internet Etiquette, Thread Bumping etc.

@dooBdoo, I will only say that whether I believe someone is honorable or has integrity is a very small part of my life, in that I very rarely if ever think about it per se. What's more important to me is what I see occurring, and how I feel about what I see.

To me, a major constituent of those two things is how people treat and respond to others in general (anyone can have a hot-button issue, that's just human), rather than simply being strict rule-followers. And it honestly doesn't matter to me if someone obeys the rules because they are a person who ethically obeys all rules, or because they fear consequences if they don't - all I care about is whether they do obey them. And yes, I "respect" or agree with some rules (in all facets of life) more than others.

Being a cynic and a skeptic, I rarely ascribe wholly positive motivations to those I don't know, i.e. assume the best and most positive about someone. Neither do I routinely assume the worst; I ultimately judge someone by their routine, repeated, long-term behavior that I have observed. Any judgment I make, conscious or unconscious, is mine alone and I have no feeling that others ought to agree. And I treat people, basically, as they treat me, without considering their honor or integrity overall. How they interact with me and others is my bottom line.

I'm not saying you are doing this, but "moral judging" is rife on these forums - perhaps slightly less so after a change in forum guidelines. And because it's so prevalent, it's a total turn-off to me.

Some people are straight and narrow about every aspect of their life and judge others by that. I'm a person who is neither. Not saying you are doing that, either.

This post was in part a response to yours (in general) but it's also just a "where I'm coming from" vs where others may be coming from, and is not meant to be personal in any way.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

JaxsMom wrote:

Bumping is trivial compared to many of the other netiquette rules I see ignored all the time on these boards.

For example, the one about not posting hotlinks to other websites as it is bandwidth theft. The biggest offenders are the ones that hotlink pictures. Another one is posting threads about news articles and failing to post a link to your source. A third would be copy and pasting information over copyright limits. IE whole articles and blog posts. Posters here clearly have no idea what is a copyright violation and what is fair use. Although I partially blame the board owners for lack of enforcement on these. 

Great points, @jaxs mom.    Honestly, I think most of the time when we violate policies it's unwittingly rather than intentionally.    And I do think for most of us, as Maya Angelou said, when we know better we do better.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Smoky wrote:

@dooBdoo, it was just like yesterday she started posting & we hit it off right away.. Her positive attitude- the tears I'd cry for her- my husband was so very happy to answer any of her questions..  

I miss her so..  Thank you for the kind words..

Wherever she might be, I pray she's happy and at peace.. I loved seeing her smile through her words...  

@Suziepeach...❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@PurpleBunny

As for the "bumping threads".......... sometimes the old threads continue because a person will comment on it because although the thread may be old, but the topic is still current and relevant..........

What would probably happen---- say instead of commenting on an old thread, instead you started a new one on the same subject, but the Moderators would probably delete your new one because its a "duplicate thread on the same topic"......LOL!!!!   That's how it would work for me anyway...Woman Wink

Any thread they don't want us commenting on further, they should just lock – simple. 

@PurpleBunny, The bargain basement software QVC purchased for the website doesn't include automagic locking of older threads to prevent necroposting (posting on an old, inactive thread)...  whether they're from 2010 or 6 months ago.    Instead, the standards say no bumping, we're expected to try and muddle through the policies such as they are, and the moderators manage the problem the old fashioned way.   Another example of the archaic nature of this site.

Again, so technically we can't post to any thread that isn't the first on the list - any thread that isn't number one ... is old.

It's ridiculous.

Until an actual line is drawn, I'm not going to worry about it.  I behave myself 99.9% of the time. If posting a legitimate response to an older thread is punishable by death, so be it. ☠️

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well I've brought up hotlinking in a few threads and it's completely ignored as is copyright infringement, people here don't care. 

Same thing with citing sources, it's funny because people here actually think it's rude when you ask them to cite their source for a news article that they started a thread about.

I post on other boards where any thread started about a news story that doesn't include a link to the source article is automatically locked by the mods. Another board I post on, your thread will be ignored if you don't cite your source. It's expected that thread starters will support their POV. Of course on those boards crying, "it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" would be completely laughed at and no one assumes they're being attacked because other people disagree with you. 

Hotlinking and copywrite infringment will get you banned if you don't heed the warning after the first infraction on most sites I go to. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

PurpleBunny wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

PurpleBunny wrote:

Any thread they don't want us commenting on further, they should just lock – simple. 

@PurpleBunny, The bargain basement software QVC purchased for the website doesn't include automagic locking of older threads to prevent necroposting (posting on an old, inactive thread)...  whether they're from 2010 or 6 months ago.    Instead, the standards say no bumping, we're expected to try and muddle through the policies such as they are, and the moderators manage the problem the old fashioned way.   Another example of the archaic nature of this site.

Again, so technically we can't post to any thread that isn't the first on the list - any thread that isn't number one ... is old.

It's ridiculous.

Until an actual line is drawn, I'm not going to worry about it.  I behave myself 99.9% of the time. If posting a legitimate response to an older thread is punishable by death, so be it. ☠️

Off with your head, @PurpleBunny! 😜    Seriously, I'm thinking that wouldn't be true technically because I've never seen the moderators close or delete a thread for bumping when it's not really old (like months old) or inactive, so there's the precedent.   Like everyone else, just guessing based on history here.    I don't think anyone is especially worried about any of this.    Just a conversation, and if it's like any of the other threads it likely won't make much difference.   Although I think most of us would rather not be banned from posting, and most of us will do the best we can, as we usually do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JaxsMom wrote:

Well I've brought up hotlinking in a few threads and it's completely ignored as is copyright infringement, people here don't care. 

Same thing with citing sources, it's funny because people here actually think it's rude when you ask them to cite their source for a news article that they started a thread about.

I post on other boards where any thread started about a news story that doesn't include a link to the source article is automatically locked by the mods. Another board I post on, your thread will be ignored if you don't cite your source. It's expected that thread starters will support their POV. Of course on those boards crying, "it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" would be completely laughed at and no one assumes they're being attacked because other people disagree with you. 

I totally agree with you, @jaxs mom.   In my opinion, the bottom line is that this forum isn't well-managed.   Also, the policies and standards are posted in 2 different places and really aren't clear enough and need to be updated, fleshed out, and consolidated.   I don't really blame the posters (because we're left to try and interpret poorly-written, inconsistently-enforced guidelines).   I also don't blame the moderators because I feel the responsibility remains with the powers-that-be who employ and instruct them.  

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Hotlinking and copywrite infringment will get you banned if you don't heed the warning after the first infraction on most sites I go to. 

IMO, some of this depends on (1) the topic, and (2) the purpose of the forum. Not all forums are created to serve the same purpose, so not all will have the same rules or guidelines.

If you're talking politics or current events or medicine, links to sources are appropriate. If you're talking about Life Issues, they're most often not. There is nothing wrong with opinions. "Why do you feel that way?" is a more valid question in my eyes than "what's your source?!" And then you get into "My source is valid, your sourse isn't" back-and-forths.

JMO, but I don't think QVC wants their forums to have the type of discussions that require sources. I'm fine with that. There will always be posters who believe every post must be part of a potential attack/defend debate. Most people are just "WT*?"

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

BTTT

Kidding!!!!

Smiley Tongue

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Trusted Contributor

I can disagree with someone over something but I would not ever attack them over their opinion.