Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'Netiquette' ~ Internet Etiquette & Thread Bumping etc.

@dooBdoo wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I tend to pull up old threads, but I don't consider it 'bumping' - I consider it 'catching up' when I haven't been here in a while. 

Hi, @PurpleBunny  Pulling up very old threads is bumping.   This site prohibits it, and doesn't list exceptions to the rule.    You'll find it's normally not allowed on chat sites...  it's considered impolite, and once a thread is old it's more respectful to start a new thread if someone has new information.  For the most part, it's inconsiderate toward the OP of the old thread as well as those who posted on it.   That's why it tends to be a universal "netiquette" principle on social media, and many sites actually lock older discussions so no one can bump them.    Also, specifically, it can be jarring if we see names of posters who have since passed away or we know are no longer posting here for other reasons.    That said... if we don't like the policy, rather than ignore it I agree with @hildyjohnson we should, instead, try to have it modified.  

But on the flip side of that, I have seen many times when a poster brings up a subject and gets jumped on that they need to do a search, it has been discussed already.