Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'Netiquette'~Internet Etiquette, Thread Bumping etc.

I remember when people would bring up an old thread by just posting the word "Bump".

I think that's what the mods mean by no bumping of old threads, but who knows.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@PurpleBunny

As for the "bumping threads".......... sometimes the old threads continue because a person will comment on it because although the thread may be old, but the topic is still current and relevant..........

What would probably happen---- say instead of commenting on an old thread, instead you started a new one on the same subject, but the Moderators would probably delete your new one because its a "duplicate thread on the same topic"......LOL!!!!   That's how it would work for me anyway...Woman Wink

Any thread they don't want us commenting on further, they should just lock – simple. 

@PurpleBunny, The bargain basement software QVC purchased for the website doesn't include automagic locking of older threads to prevent necroposting (posting on an old, inactive thread)...  whether they're from 2010 or 6 months ago.    Instead, the standards say no bumping, we're expected to try and muddle through the policies such as they are, and the moderators manage the problem the old fashioned way.   Another example of the archaic nature of this site.

@dooBdoo

When QVC made the changes to the website, I thought they were doing an actual upgrade, but it looks like they actually downgraded it....LOL!!!  But they should have clearly defined things when they made the big changes...........

I think the Forums are just an afterthought, and unfortunately they put more credance and attention in feedback and comments in QVC's, QVC host's, and vendor's Facebook Pages.  Instead of spending all that money on Send The Trend and The Oodle MarketPlace which flopped, they shouldve invested that money in their website...nothing QVC can do about it, it's all water under the bridge....but just like many things regarding QVC they don't seem to have a good handle on what's important to customers and what's not..........But when we had that troll incident where the troll bumped up all the old archaic threads, then it took them probably twice as long to correct and stop it....and probably extra money too (paying IT folks overtime to correct perhaps)........so skiming in one way, can cost a lot more another way......but thanks for letting me vent.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

Bumping is trivial compared to many of the other netiquette rules I see ignored all the time on these boards.

For example, the one about not posting hotlinks from other websites as it is bandwidth theft. The biggest offenders are the ones that hotlink pictures. Another one is posting threads about news articles and failing to post a link to your source. A third would be copy and pasting information over copyright limits. IE whole articles and blog posts. Posters here clearly have no idea what is a copyright violation and what is fair use. Although I partially blame the board owners for lack of enforcement on these. 

@jaxs mom

You make some good points 

I always make sure photos and articles I post are not copyrighted in accordance QVC guidelines/standards

Regarding the failure to post link to the source......I always post a link to the source, however, one time the link was removed by the Mods, because on that same page was another article that included "naughty 4 letter and inappropriate language"  in it, so they didnt allow the link, Or if the page has links to other retail sites, both of them can also cause the entire post to be removed, some of sport page articles have "suggestive ads" so you cant post that linkeithr.....so sometimes I can see why this happens....

And hotlinking,that's up to the website to take the extra steps to prevent that......and no mention of hot linking in the standards, only copyrighted and make sure images videos concur with the standards..........

Hot link protection prevents other websites from directly linking to files and pictures on your website. Other sites will only be able to link to file types that you don't specify.

An example of hot linking. Say I like the image on your website, and I want that image on my site. If I use the full URL of your image on my site, then the image is downloading from your site every time someone looks at my site. This means I am using your bandwidth for the image. When you enable Hot Link Protection, then I cannot steal your bandwidth anymore.

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/what-is-hot-linking-how-do-i-enable-and-disable-hotlink-protec...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@dooBdoo, it was just like yesterday she started posting & we hit it off right away.. Her positive attitude- the tears I'd cry for her- my husband was so very happy to answer any of her questions..  

I miss her so..  Thank you for the kind words..

Wherever she might be, I pray she's happy and at peace.. I loved seeing her smile through her words...  

@Suziepeach

Was that poster a dear lady named Bobby??????

Honored Contributor

IMO there is no excuse for hotlinking. QVC will host photos, so you don't even have to use photobucket. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

The thing I dislike the most is if someone has a difference of opinion, post your opinion on the topic and instead of making snarky or rude comments about the other person.  I dont like seeing threads when the attacker doesnt even respond about the subject and even says they arent even going to read the comments, and all they do is attack the other posters......interesting "hobby" take it elsewhere please.............

Bazinga.

I have a reputation, I suppose, of being snarky here. But most of the time it's in response to the deliberate poster-bashing that has zip to do with the topic and is directed at a poster, with nothing contributed to the topic. And by "nothing", I mean nothing of substance. "I love popcorn (topic) but I don't like you or that you started a thread on popcorn" is not even thinly disguised, IMO. "I disagree with you about popcorn" is all that is relevant.

People who just live to do fly-by doo-drops - some on "selected favorites", some on just anyone at random. If those few people were not permitted to do that, IMO these forums would be a different place.

@Moonchilde

From your posts Ive read, I may not always agree with you, but I think your one that comments on the topic and not the person.  I'm sure we all have a certain someone that pushes our buttons and makes us give as good as we got, but these are individuals are the ones that tend to be out of control, and I totally concur, the Mods should do something with them and the atmosphere would indeed be much more pleasant..... 

I can relate to what yu are saying. One time I posted a link which countered what a troublemaker had  stated as "gospel".....all I said, "here's a link with some additional information".  And I got accused of being snarky and rude....and then she goes off on a rant following me and making snarky comments....  I guess she didnt want to admit she was wrong and I wasnt trying to show her up, just wanted to redirect the topic to actual facts to keep the topic going, rather than off the wall opinions that was leading it into an argument and would have caused deletion of the entire thread.........Now I just let her spout her inaccurate opinions and avoid her...its just not worth saving a thread over.......

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Spurt

The good thing is, long-time posters know "those" posters well and of course consider the source; their "wisdom" and uplifting opinions are infamously forgettable.

Odd hobby, How Many People Can I Alienate/Insult Today.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thanks, @Spurt

The good thing is, long-time posters know "those" posters well and of course consider the source; their "wisdom" and uplifting opinions are infamously forgettable.

Odd hobby, How Many People Can I Alienate/Insult Today.

@Moonchilde

Yes that "hobby" gives one cause to pause, as the saying goes.....  They must get out of bed thinking, how can I disrupt a nice conversation folks are having on the Forum today and make everyone miserable...............what a way to live............Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

@dooBdoo, it was just like yesterday she started posting & we hit it off right away.. Her positive attitude- the tears I'd cry for her- my husband was so very happy to answer any of her questions..  

I miss her so..  Thank you for the kind words..

Wherever she might be, I pray she's happy and at peace.. I loved seeing her smile through her words...  

@Suziepeach

Was that poster a dear lady named Bobby??????

@Spurt, no that wasn't her name but I think I rememer the Bobby you speak of- something with her head?  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

IMO there is no excuse for hotlinking. QVC will host photos, so you don't even have to use photobucket. 

My excuse is that it's not prohibited by the Standards here and by the fact that, as @Spurt stated, it's up to the site itself. I post pics and will continue to do so.

In any case, I hardly think that this or copyrighting issues rise to the level of importance as to how we treat one another here, including following such netiquette as outlined early in this thread.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland