Honored Contributor

Re: 'Netiquette'~Internet Etiquette, Thread Bumping etc.

Smoky wrote:

A good while back, before the format was changed, I met the sweetest lady on here- lots of you will remember her and I won't mention her nic.  She was going to go through radiation treatments and my husband works for the company that made the machine she'd be treated on, she'd  ask questions about the facility and equipment she'd be treated on and thinges were looking good but I don'tknow if she went into hospice or not before the treatments even got started regularly.

The thread was for her and so many of you posted and I know that meant so, so much to her,  Yes I'd bump those threads up for HER- so if she felt like coming on board- she wouldn't have to look for it or I didn't want the chance of that thread being deleted.  It made her feel good to be able to see or find that one thread quickly- everyone knew her situation and never once did a single one of you wonderful people complain. And that meant an awful lot to me..  Heart

She hasn't posted in a long time- I miss seeing her and wish I knew more.  

I do agree that on the old platform keeping the threads "alive" as many of us did by frequently posting prayers and comments was really helpful.   With the new platform, the use of notifications is (I think) one of the best features because we can check our notification feed to locate all the posts meant for us.

On a personal note, though, (((@Suziepeach))), Reading your post gave me chills.    I was one of the posters on those threads, and never stopped thinking of her and praying for her and I had looked up her nickname and read some of the older posts only 2 days before you wrote this.     She hasn't been back since April 2015.    The support and information you and your husband gave her was incredibly helpful and it was clear she treasured your friendship.     I miss seeing her, too.   Her gentle spirit is still here with us and always will be.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Hahaha, Moonchilde "...apply some logic" -   Good one.   That's just not the world we're living in now.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Catwhisperer wrote:

@Smoky....you, along with @dooBdoo@birdmama, and several other posters, are truly kind and caring. You all have had nothing but kind and caring thoughts for others. Unfortunately, many others on these boards are not. You guys are the real deal and have proven it over time with your sincere posts.

Edited to add @JaneMarple and @chickenbutt to my list of favorites. I love how you gals tell it like it is. 

Thanks, @catwhisperer.❤️    That's so kind of you to say, and I really do appreciate it.    I would add you to that list, and as you said there are many others.    We have some wonderfully bright, interesting, compassionate and supportive people here.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

The thing I dislike the most is if someone has a difference of opinion, post your opinion on the topic and instead of making snarky or rude comments about the other person.  I dont like seeing threads when the attacker doesnt even respond about the subject and even says they arent even going to read the comments, and all they do is attack the other posters......interesting "hobby" take it elsewhere please.............

Bazinga.

I have a reputation, I suppose, of being snarky here. But most of the time it's in response to the deliberate poster-bashing that has zip to do with the topic and is directed at a poster, with nothing contributed to the topic. And by "nothing", I mean nothing of substance. "I love popcorn (topic) but I don't like you or that you started a thread on popcorn" is not even thinly disguised, IMO. "I disagree with you about popcorn" is all that is relevant.

People who just live to do fly-by doo-drops - some on "selected favorites", some on just anyone at random. If those few people were not permitted to do that, IMO these forums would be a different place.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: 'Netiquette' ~ Internet Etiquette & Thread Bumping etc.

[ Edited ]

JaxsMom wrote:

PurpleBunny wrote:

@dooBdoo The problem is, where is the line between old and new threads?  After ten posts?  Twenty?  Nothing beyond the first page?  I can see not bringing up a thread from page five or one that hasn't had a post in months, but I don't see any problem with answering a thread that has slipped to page two. 

The date of the last post is the line. It has nothing to do with how many posts their were. If it's been a year since the last post it's bumping. If the thread has been active for 5 years it's not bumping if the last post was recent. 

I agree with you, @jaxs mom.   A thread like the daily chat threads might have been created a long time ago but they're active and the new comments on the thread are a continuing discussion

That's the key here, and the moderators have told us this by the way they close or remove older inactive threads when someone bumps them up with a new post.   They have set a precedent in the way they handle bumping, so that's our answer.

On this forum, based on the moderators' actions, there are 2 types of bumping that aren't permitted:

1 -- If a thread is old and inactive, it's a policy violation and inconsiderate to pull it up to add to it.  

2 -- If any thread is bumped up with an empty post or with a comment that the person is bumping it, that's also considered a policy violation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

The world at large is full of people who think rules of any kind are for other people and simply don't need to be paid any heed. That's been my experience throughout my 70-in-a-few-years lifetime. I suffered being raised by Someone Special and it is one of my pet life peeves.

However, the issue here, on QVC forums, is a matter of repercussions. If there are rules but no repercussions when they're broken/flaunted/ignored then why pay any attention to them? Post/thread deleted? Big deal. Given a 3-day or 30-day Time Out? You can come back. Banned? You can still come back :-(

Truly moderated forums, with moderators chosen specifically to be moderators and nothing else by experience, temperament, knowledge and diplomacy, lay down the law, give a warning or two, and that's it - boom goes the hammer. They also can see and pay attention to posting patterns, and consult with other moderators for their opinion, and have a group concensus, so that any action taken is fair and applied equally with personality not entering in.

This does not occur here. Most of it is not the moderators' fault - QVC tells them what they can/can't do in their job, they have little autonomy. Some bust their buns to be fair and take their moderating seriously; others, not so much. And they aren't "just" moderators, they are CS and have other duties we rarely hear about; they have to do the best they can with what QVC gives them.

So when you have situations where Person A says something that is clearly rude and offensive per anyone, or breaks an obvious rule, and gets away with it - nothing removed, insult stands, etc. and Person B says something and is deleted because Person A reports it out of spite (after having insulted Person B first) - how would you think Person B feels about "the rules" and their equal application?

Obey all rules always just because everyone online should obey every netiquette rule just because they're there, while others break them right and left with impunity? WHY? I don't think that many of us aspire to be Little Mary Sunshine Just Because.

I don't think netiquette is an issue when the rules are clearly spelled out AND there are repercussions - at least, if a person chooses to socialize like an adult - many people online never give that a consideration.

This is such a good post, @Moonchilde, regarding repercussions and consistency.   I think many of us (maybe most of us) do our best to comprehend the policies...  not to be "little Mary Sunshine" but because we have integrity.   It's hard to respect anyone who continually violates policies "because others do it" ...  those violations seem like an immature approach to posting in my opinion.   (I'm not saying that's what you do or advocate, by the way, just a general comment.)  

I think most of us agree that some of the policies need more clarification (such as what constitutes bumping on this particular forum) and the moderators need to be more "of one mind" in the way they manage the forum.    I believe when honorable people understand what's expected of them they do their darndest to comply.   

Honored Contributor

PurpleBunny wrote:

SPURT wrote:

@PurpleBunny

As for the "bumping threads".......... sometimes the old threads continue because a person will comment on it because although the thread may be old, but the topic is still current and relevant..........

What would probably happen---- say instead of commenting on an old thread, instead you started a new one on the same subject, but the Moderators would probably delete your new one because its a "duplicate thread on the same topic"......LOL!!!!   That's how it would work for me anyway...Woman Wink

Any thread they don't want us commenting on further, they should just lock – simple. 

@PurpleBunny, The bargain basement software QVC purchased for the website doesn't include automagic locking of older threads to prevent necroposting (posting on an old, inactive thread)...  whether they're from 2010 or 6 months ago.    Instead, the standards say no bumping, we're expected to try and muddle through the policies such as they are, and the moderators manage the problem the old fashioned way.   Another example of the archaic nature of this site.

Honored Contributor

Moonchilde wrote:

In general you're right, @SPURT  But we both know these forums are a happy home to those who, aside from loving the t i t-for-tat, back atcha, also just plain old love to be nasty to someone (anyone) for nasty's sake, and blow their noses daily across the forums. If they can engage someone, yahoo, but even if they can't, they still enjoy being nasty. In QVC's forums I don't see this changing, because I don't see the setup changing. These forums aren't like other forums because they're not "run" like other forums.

When I see that happen, I think of the comment someone made a long time ago...  certain posters come to a thread merely to lift the metaphorical leg and "dampen" the conversation.    (That's not exactly the way it was said, but I'll leave interpretation to the imagination.😉)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bumping is trivial compared to many of the other netiquette rules I see ignored all the time on these boards.

For example, the one about not posting hotlinks from other websites as it is bandwidth theft. The biggest offenders are the ones that hotlink pictures. Another one is posting threads about news articles and failing to post a link to your source. A third would be copy and pasting information over copyright limits. IE whole articles and blog posts. Posters here clearly have no idea what is a copyright violation and what is fair use. Although I partially blame the board owners for lack of enforcement on these. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo, it was just like yesterday she started posting & we hit it off right away.. Her positive attitude- the tears I'd cry for her- my husband was so very happy to answer any of her questions..  

I miss her so..  Thank you for the kind words..

Wherever she might be, I pray she's happy and at peace.. I loved seeing her smile through her words...  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee